Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know an alcoholic that regained the ability to drink normally?

Notices

Does anyone know an alcoholic that regained the ability to drink normally?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I no longer have the urge to get drunk . I don't actualy like the taste of alcohol, it's a bit like vineagar but not as nice .

I had a vodka soaked tomato about a year ago, it was horrible and i usually like tomatos.

I know how it feels to have even a small amount of alcohol, i know it has an effect, dilates my veins , makes me feel hot and sweaty.

I could probably have a drink and leave it but in full clarity i really don't see why i would ever want to ...

If i was out for chasing that buzz again obvoiusly i would drink but that would just be wrong as that is a kind of madness, it takes more alcohol than my body can survive to get the desired effect, the urge to drink would point to spiritual/psycological work i'd need to do and change .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alcoholics don't drink normally. That's an oxymoron.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I would twist that a little and say I never met a non alcoholic who was obsessed with 'normal ' drinking.
Hey, right here - this is PERFECT.

Choppersled, you can't really know what's going on inside those two drinkers' heads. But if you could, our money is on a constant interior dialogue of 'maybe I could have a beer now - no, no, it's like 4pm. I'll wait. I had three yesterday, that's not a lot. Maybe I can have a six pack now - WAIT, no: that's a lot and I've been keeping it in check for three weeks. Maybe just a couple of shots. No no no, hard liquor is for alcoholics..."

I don't know everything, never will. Maybe there's someone out there who doesn't have the problem with alcohol that we all have, who just randomly decided to binge drink for a while and then was suddenly like *poof* - fine.

But my money's on the more probable answer.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I believe your question contains an oxymoron.

An alcoholic cannot drink normally otherwise they wouldn't be considered an alcoholic.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Truthfully no.

But I know a few who have relapsed, and "say" they only have a couple now and then.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I know two people (very well, these are close friends) who, when they were at the height of their drinking, would definitely have been considered addicted. They drank nearly every day, drank in the morning, had blackouts, got in trouble with the law, etc. and this went on for several years. But, they outgrew it. Simply got to the point in their lives where drinking like that didn't work, and cut down. No issue. I, on the other hand, reached the same point and drank more.

Am I the "alcoholic" and them not? Some would say yes, but I am not so sure; I am honestly not sure what the term "alcoholic" really means.

One thing I am sure of is that I, personally, cannot drink. I don't spend any time whatsoever worrying about what the next person can or cannot do.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Alcoholics and non-alcoholics can live happy lives without drinking. It is not a necessity of life and has no real health benefits even in small amounts. No body needs to drink in nay amount. Normal people are ok drinking a bit now and then. Why take this risk of you're an alcoholic?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

IMO that is a contradiction in terms.

If someone regains the ability to drink normally, they were never an alcoholic to begin with.

I also agree with the others who said you can never know what's in someone else's mind. Even with close friends, I do NOT discuss how my drinking makes me feel. My husband knows maybe 10% of it. Everyone else knows 0%. So what looks like "moderation" to you might be more like white knuckling to them.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Normal drinking is one regulation size drink per hour no more then 3 drinks in one day.
That sounds like pointless drinking to me! Why waste the money?

There are countless stories of Problem drinkers who tempted fate and tried to "moderate" there drinking after achieving a few months or years of sobriety. I would say most of the people I know who do this eventually get back to the hard core levels of drinking within a couple years (usually much sooner)

My advice to someone with sobriety is to guard it and keep it safe. Tempting fate is not worth the risk. At least for me its not.