SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/269511-really-little-things-name-1-little-thing-you-notice-now-youre-sober.html)

EternalQ 09-29-2012 08:36 AM

It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober!

So many LITTLE things make me so happy now.
Today I noticed....

Today I noticed how soft my dog's belly is!

You? What little thing have you noticed?

RecoRenee 09-29-2012 08:46 AM

I noticed how arrogant all my friends are. I can't even bare to be around them now that I'm sober. I look around like "wow how was I hanging out with these people?" LOL

Change4good 09-29-2012 08:47 AM

I posted this on another thread, but I forgot how your senses are heightened when you are not drunk/hungover. When taking my son out of his crib this morning, I breathed in the scent his head, smells like fresh baked bread.

aasharon90 09-29-2012 08:51 AM

The warmth of the sun on my face. :shine8pl:

Ready2Bmeagain 09-29-2012 08:54 AM

I've noticed that people smile back when you smile at them first. I never smiled when I was drinking.

SeekSobriety 09-29-2012 09:17 AM

I noticed that Drunk people suck to be around.

Also I can't stand waiting in line to order behind two stoners still staring at the menu items lost in space :)

When you are drunk and high, I never realized how much of a annoying space case I must have been.

StrictScrutiny 09-29-2012 09:33 AM

It's weird to be so aware of all of my senses! I got up this morning and walked to the grocery store (I live in the city) and not being hungover introduced me to a whole new world! I was so thankful to have that opportunity that I was only slightly bothered walking past a church doing Oktoberfest.

zeroptzero 09-29-2012 09:54 AM

The feeling of sliding my feet under the sheets when I go to bed. I passed out (in various locations) for so long I had completely forgotten this sensation.

8thPhoenix 09-29-2012 09:59 AM

I notice how calm I feel. I'd been living w/ this constant anxiety-buzz/noise in my head for so long, I actually just thought it was a mental disorder. Turns out only half right. ;)

MrsKing 09-29-2012 10:05 AM

Just how good it is to be in on a Saturday night, watching television, eating good food and just relaxing with my husband and my dog.

Jeni26 09-29-2012 10:09 AM

Sitting in the garden I noticed how beautiful our row of herbs are. Mint, coriander, basil, rosemary, parsley. Each a different shade of green, with a wonderful fragrance. They look even more gorgeous when it has been raining, their leaves glisten and shine.
We've had them for years. I never appreciated their beauty when I had a vodka in hand.

aasharon90 09-29-2012 10:23 AM

Speaking of gardens Jeni, :) When I remarried
almost 4 yrs ago, my husbands wife of 35yrs.
who passed away had gardens all around the
house. It was her passion. Anyway, I told my
husband I defenitely didnt want to garden and
so we cut just about all the gardens down to
make mowing the lawn easier. Well.....that was
then. Within the past 2 yrs, i have backyard gardens
that Ive established with many of his late wifes
bulbs still poping up. I LOVE THEM....!!!!

2 days ago, i dig up all the bulbs i planted last yr.
and tilled the soil and replanted the Red Canna Lilies
placing them carefully and lovingly in 4 long rows
of 8 in each planting a grand total of 32 in that bed. :)

Never did I think In all my life would so patiantly plant
one bulb at a time in a flower bed like I have now. So,
the moral of the story is, it's never too late to learn to
plant bulbs in recovery. :)

8thPhoenix 09-29-2012 12:34 PM

aasharon90, that was beautiful. :) I'm really touched by your words.

Hexipuff 09-29-2012 12:41 PM

How quickly time passes when your days are guilt free and without a hangover

DisplacedGRITS 09-29-2012 12:42 PM

My signature is so pretty when my hand isn't shaking.

Sobersunshine 09-29-2012 12:45 PM

I feel at peace when I'm alone and sober.

EternalQ 10-03-2012 11:45 AM

I notice how efficient I am at work. This took quite a few months as I was super foggy and moody at first. But now at almost 8 months I am exceling at work and offering to help others at work.

This makes me super happy and I love noticing it. I answer my emails and return all my calls now, and don't feel put upon and drained like before. Instead I feel lucky to have my work. : )

Saliena 10-03-2012 12:14 PM

I noticed trust in my husbands eyes/actions again... it took awhile to come back. But, slowly and surly it is coming back and we are building an amazing sober life together.

Thanks for the thread I needed it!

Happier 10-03-2012 12:21 PM

NAPS! I love them. Go to sleep sober, sleep peacefully, wake up feeling great.

cardealer 10-03-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Happier (Post 3606955)
NAPS! I love them. Go to sleep sober, sleep peacefully, wake up feeling great.

I,ve noticed that,i can take a nap in the afternoon on my days off,its a different kind of sleep when you are sober,wake up not scared of what i may have said or done,no dry mouth,headache,or regret.3 months yesterday i had my last drink.