Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober!

Notices

It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

this thread is a blessing! i'm only a few days in but have already noticed work is easier, i have more energy, and just a general feeling of "i'm okay" comes over me the longer i am sober.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

The large majority of people are nice.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I notice people aren't out to get me.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

This will sound silly, but I started building a radio controlled helicopter around midnight last night.

This morning, I can remember each and every bit of the 18 steps I followed in the instruction manual clearly. How many times have I not remembered *anything* about the night before? This is nice!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Been a very long time since I've been drunk, but I remember something from when I was freshly sober that I thought was interesting at the time.

Was about 2 weeks sober and still living at my parents. Went to get something in my bedroom and noticed the lightbulb had burned out. I was in a hurry at the time, and thought damn, I have to change this now because tonight I'm going to be too wasted to do it. Went to go find a fresh bulb, and then smiled when I realized.... I WILL be able to do this tonight. Was a little thing, but it was so indicative at the time of how much my life was changing.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I agree on the memory thing. I remember good things alot more often than unpleasant. I also feel more engaged and in the here and now. I like it!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

When I had a feverish sweaty feeling come over me suddenly at work, I was able to be 100% certain it was not withdrawal.
Which means they were hot flashes! Sigh. But at least I know!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Peripheral vision. I just see everything better and more clearly. I guess I'm not tunnel-vision about the next drink.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I notice how much less stressful driving is. When I get in the car I am so relieved I have not been drinking.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I am much less angry. (And I thought drinking helped ease my anger / calmed me down)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I enjoy getting out of bed in the morning and tackling the day!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I would have to say that by far having my mornings back is the best thing I've gotten back with sobriety. Waking up and sitting out on my porch, watching the squirrel wake up and come out of its tree all full of energy and jumping around every where all squirrely. I call him Chippers, he's the boss of my backyard.

The second best thing about sobriety and having all of my mind back. I'm a thinker and my thoughts are more pure and clear sober.

There are many other things I hope to get in to my life but these are the two immediate benefits I've been given. Being sober is cool.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I create less drama and stay away from the drama of others. But not because I'm home in a corner drinking. But because I understand now that every moment, I have a CHOICE.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I saw, heard and felt the softness and vulnerability of my father tonight. I heard what was behind his words.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

The full moon and the stars. The stillness of the night. The feeling of safety and belonging within the universe.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I notice - now that I am not numbing myself, or coming down from numbing, or fixating on the next time that I'll numb myself- that funny things are funnier, and irritating things are more irritating. I do not so easily tune out the bad or the good.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Having a fulfilling day is not contingent on what happens to me or what I can get from people, but what I can do for others and having a strong spiritual connection with my HP Seriously, I can have the most "dull" (by all outward appearances) day, but feel grounded and amazing!

Xx
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I try to keep a personal calendar now and plan ahead. This sounds little but it is big. I actually make medical appts now, make plans, get my car oil changed on time, and am improving at remembering birthdays.

When I drank, one day ran into another, and I would not make plans or if I did I'd cancel due to a migraine hangover, or I wouldn't make plans with non drinkers because I would have to have just one or get the looks... yes I kept a calendar but it showed what days I called out to work due to hangovers.... It showed when payday was because I would run out of money for bills since I bought liquor first....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I noticed that I have all of this bonus time in the day and night, since I have full use of my brain (not drinking beer or wine at night, then recovering the next day in a fog doing the bare minimum required of me, repeat cycle).

I notice that I have an enthusiasm for the boring chores that I didn't get around to before, and I sometimes do them gladly. I notice that time goes by more slowly at night, and for now that is not a bad thing. So much to do!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Mornings aren't so bad!! And going to bed early can be nice! Who knew?