Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober!

Notices

It really IS the little things! Name 1 little thing you notice now that you're sober!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I remember everything from the night before now!!! :-)

Before I would have no clue what i did the night before, what tv i watched, who or what i texted or called, If I paid bills, etc. ....So embarassing.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Dreams about being lost, being chased, searching for something unknown are lessening.

I dont wake up feeling beaten with a baseball bat.

My body regenerates a lot faster after workouts.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I've noticed that we don't die from boredom or stress
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Picking up the book I was reading before bed the night before and not having to page backward to find the last thing I REMEMBER reading.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have a marriage instead of a sparing partner
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

One of my favorite little things is not having to go through all of my sent emails, chats, facebook, blogs, ...... to find out what I said to who last night. Or faking my way through a conversation to try to find out what I heard or said the night before.

And, I love Dan Dare's post. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

~ I am a loving mother who takes her children to the library, soccer games, b-day parties and other fun activites that I wouldn't (couldn't) do because it cut into my drinking time or i was drunk or too hungover.
~ I've lost weight and i have eyelids again! They were so swollen from drinking I looked ridiculous.
~ I can actually watch movies/read and remember
~ I can get angry and know it's not because i'm just hungover or half in the bag, but for a ligit reason.
~ My new found love of scrabble!!!
~ I feel sexy, in control and at 34, feel like i can (and will!) achieve things I've been brushing off for the last 15 years.
~ I'm available 24/7 for any kind of emergency that may come up, sick kids, a spur of the moment invite, or just running an errand ...even in the afternoon!
~ I can talk to my kids without one of them saying 'mommy yer breaf sninks'
~ I can paint my nails and they look somewhat decent since i'm not shaking all over the place or wasted out of my mind.
~ I REALLY love coffee now!!!

and this is just the tip of the sober iceburg! I LOVE RECOVERY!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

How good food tastes and how much I can actually eat....
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I've noticed I don't get mad so very easily anymore. I agree with Stevie88 food for sure tastes better!

One of the greater ones is, I no longer get frightened to leave the house! Going to Wal-Mart is no longer a monumental event that requires me to be on edge, because ya know, someones apparently hiding in the clothes or something waiting to get me.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

This morning as I walked outside to go to work I thought to myself "wow, the sky really is beautiful" as though I had never seen it before. Of course I have, but I've been so lost the last few years the beauty didnt affect me. I'm looking forward to more of these moments.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

How painfully quiet I am.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Taking my time to do things, not rushing through the grocery store, not hurrying my child inside just to start drinking.

And having more time to cherish. Things were in fast forward when drinking, now I take time to read good books, snuggle with my hubby, take proper care of myself like flossing, putting on face cream, etc.

All these little things add up to SOBRIETY ROCKS!!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Reading through this thread, I can relate to so much of what many of you are saying!!

Today I pulled over and took a pic of a beautiful tree in it's fall glory, all yellow and orange and red leaves, to use as my phone wallpaper. Hungover? I wouldn't have even really "seen" it.

The thing about giving birth vs. watering the lawn....right on. Totally relate to that and it is awesome.

Taking time instead of rushing my daughter around, yes it's so much nicer!

Taking care of my hair, using creams and oils and scented body wash from B&BW, how enjoyable it is, sooo much nicer than just putting my hair up and running out for beer and maybe brushing my teeth, yuck.

And Steve, your appetite is legendary in our Aug '12 thread, lol! But yes, it's great to have an appetite and enjoy eating. Tonight I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and broccoli and my family loved it. So did I, and I even made brownies.

Thanks for this thread and to everyone who posted here! We ROCK!!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi

This is a really good thread and Dan you have really made me laugh. Laugher is contagious!

Being awake now and watching a spot of t.v, looking up things on the internet and going to bed shortly to read, instead of being comatose.

Like my lovely friend Stairs above, I've started looking after myself again, doing my hair properly, I've bought myself some bits of new make-up and I put lippy on every time I go out, I brush my teeth before I go to bed, I have lovely scented baths and pamper my skin with lotions and potions.

I've got an urge to buy some wool and do some knitting.

I'm looking a recipes for Christmas cakes, something I haven't thought about making for donkeys years.

And there's more, but I'll be here all night!!!

Gxxx
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Calling my mom every day and telling I love her.92 maybe not a lot of time but given my lifestyle she will likey outlaste
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

The fact that I made some people laugh made my day.
Thanks for caring, too. Right now I would be so down if I had broken down and ended my streak.
It's amazing how irrational the urge appears after it goes away.
I'm still enjoying the ride.
Speaking of ride, it's nice to be driving and not getting a sore neck from looking in the rear view mirror for cops.
I even stopped at 7-11 on the way home from rehearsal tonite and got some milk for morning coffee.
Normally, I would never stop for fear of drawing attention to myself.
How pathetic I've been.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I noticed that my bed is reasonably straight when I wake up in a morning, rather than the duvet being half on the floor, the bottom sheet in the middle of the bed and the pillows all over the place. I no longer sleep like a spin dryer!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I notice that if I stay present and just do one thing at a time, I actually do well and finish what I start.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I look people in the eye now. I never did before.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

My kids come up and want to hang out with me instead of going off alone.