SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 day at a time-living for now (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/269488-1-day-time-living-now.html)

justhadenough 09-29-2012 12:49 AM

1 day at a time-living for now

Back at day 1 again,fully committed this time and aim to build on changing and developing my thinking in order to stay stopped and build a happy life

I've always been sceptical about '1 day at a time' as was doing AVRT which it doesn't really work within and also worried as though you're just one step away from a drink tomorrow rather than a final 'end of'.

I think I understand it now-as though something has just clicked. I've been doing a lot of reading about 'now'(The Power of Now/Think Right, Feel Right)to place the past where it belongs and stop worrying about the future. Withing that I've been re-considering the '1 day at time' concept within that. At the end of the day, today is all we have really.

Just wondered what others' experiences are.

Veritas1 09-29-2012 01:04 AM

At 11 days since my last drinking, I am so with you on the one day at a time, being in the now frame of mind.

justhadenough 09-29-2012 01:11 AM

Thanks Veritas, how's it going?

I'm busy today,going out the the driver so won't drink anyway till later so just tonight to get through

soberbrooke 09-29-2012 01:35 AM

I have made it 9 months. I still don't go out to restaurants, or go out on the lake, or go anywhere I use to go. I still go to meetings, right now I can only make about 2 a week though, so I am posting a lot on here. I have kids and they have football games and I am now working. I found a job that I love, I moved out of my old home into a new one. My relationship with my kids father is doing a little better. I am in a lot of groups, AA, a Fri night healing group, facebook Sunday night group called a Search For God, church group on sun with a Unity type church, etc.... I had to change everything about my old partying way of life in order for it to work for me. I did it and now I am happier than I think I have ever been. I couldn't do it without the support from others in a group. There is something about joining a group and if all of the group is going for the same purpose, it's like the purpose gets accomplished easier and better in a group. I think that's why I had to leave my exboyfriend, because he said he will not quit smoking pot. He is an addict, even though he claims he quit on July 4th, I don't trust him. If the people in the relationship group are not going for the same goal, then why stay? Sorry I am blabbering - its 3:30am in Texas right now. I fell asleep at 9pm, and my ex came over at 2am because he claimed he was worried about me. I didn't answer the phone, because I was asleep. He has the exact same behaviors of when he was smoking, because he is not in recovery. His motives are not clear with me. I do not want anyone else, yet he still treats me like I do. He is very insecure. All that I do know is that I can't solve my life on my own. I have to give it to God every morning and allow Him to solve it for me. I am trying real hard to practice that principle in all of my affairs. I got a God box, and that really helped me to see just how much I was giving to God and how much I was still trying to solve things on my own. Good luck with were you are, I have been there so many times. I had a light go off this time though, and I surrendered. I am on step 6 now and slowly moving along the steps. I still have to remind myself of steps 1 - 3 every day. I can't do it alone, I was too much in my EGO, which is Easing God Out. When we are in a group, it is when God speaks to us. If I only got that when I first tried to get sober back in 1987, and not now in 2011, where would I be on my path in life?? I am not sure, but I am grateful to have finally gotten it this time.

justhadenough 09-29-2012 01:41 AM

Thanks Soberbrooke,congrats on 9 months-that's a great achievement.
I look on SR as a group-it's a great help. I'm very nervous in groups though so like the anonymity of SR
How does a God box work?

IndaMiricale 09-29-2012 02:29 AM

I hope this helps a bit:

There are two days i every week about which we should not worry , two days that should be kept from fear and apprehension. One of these days is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control. Even god cant change yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Yesterday is gone beyond recall.

The other is tomorrow , with its possible adversities , its burdens, its large promise, and perhaps its poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our immeditate control. Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but in any event it will still rise. But until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn..

Living One Day at a Time ;)

justhadenough 09-29-2012 02:33 AM

Thank you so much Inda. That is a great help and helps me understand the importance of, live for and be happy and sober today

BackToSquareOne 09-29-2012 03:24 AM

Justhadenough, never let a slip get you down. It's just another page in the history books, pick yourself up when it happens, get recentered and carry on. The fact that you caught yourself and didn't turn it into a bender of epic proportions says a lot.

I'll let you in on a little secret, even when you quit drinking for good you will still make mistakes, bad decisions and all of that. The best any of us can do is to try and learn from them. As far as drinking goes it's easy to quit, staying centered in your resolve to stay stopped is the hard part.You've probably already figured out that your resolve will be strong at times and go right out the window at others.

Things like mindfulness and AVRT will give you the awareness of what's going on with your thought process. Everything starts as a thought, the more mindful you become that your thoughts are just thoughts and you don't have to act on any of them the easier it will get. If you fall off the wagon, get back on. Stay strong and carry on!

Sapling 09-29-2012 03:43 AM

Do whatever it takes justhadenough...I'm glad you are back!!

justhadenough 09-29-2012 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sapling (Post 3600112)
Do whatever it takes justhadenough...I'm glad you are back!!

Thanks Sapling

Veritas1 09-29-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by justhadenough (Post 3600036)
Thanks Veritas, how's it going?

I'm busy today,going out the the driver so won't drink anyway till later so just tonight to get through

Thank you. I had a good day. I started my morning prayers and reciting pages 86 in my head before getting the day going. I don't even get out of bed without taking time to pray.

I messed up today, skipping actually getting the book, and going through 86-88. Going over what I remember of the pages in my head is good, but it is a shortcut, and not thorough enough.

Taking shortcuts is not what I need to be doing!

Tomorrow is another day.

I have my book by my bedside, and I need to make the time to open the book, and be sure to read all words each morning.

I listened to an aa speaker tonight. Bob D. and earlier today Earl H. and Chris R. I feel strengthened when I listen to these recordings.

My ego really balks at times though, saying, again? Listening to AA speakers again? But then another part of me says, yes, be quiet, she needs to listen to these speakers to keep a real step one right now.

Hope you are doing well! :)