Notices

Sanity in recovery

Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sanity in recovery

So I went to a great AA meeting tonight (one I have never been to) and there was a speaker. I really enjoy those types of meetings because as a newbie, it is great to hear stories I can relate to. So anyway....I have come to my own personal conclusion after tonight: people in recovery are more sane, self-aware, fun and grateful (for the little things) than those who have never been addicted. I mean, think about it, they have risen above immense personal, mental, sometimes physical challenges and this just increases the ability to cope with life tenfold. I also think the fellowship (ie AA, SR) that occurs causes people in recovery to learn about themselves while helping others and vice versa.I don't ever hear any of my so called "normie" friends admitting they have resentments and need to work on that or that they have been lying to their spouse and should start to live honestly. ALL people have issues but people in recovery seem to constantly be working on themselves. To me, that is such a beautiful thing and I feel blessed to be where I am right now. Not ashamed or guilty or angry or sad. I know I have been on an emotional rollercoaster this week but I really felt the love and support in that room tonight. And I have felt it here all week as well. I feel different than I ever did before about being sober and just wanted to share my thoughts and say thanks to everyone here for continuing to help me on this journey.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your thinking is starting to change Quit.....That's good....That's what it's all about.....You can't work those steps and not change....You just can't. And it will get a lot better....More will be revealed.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It really is changing right?! I am glad you can see it I am so happy I have a sponser now and can't wait to meet up with her again so she can start guiding me through the steps (haven't I already done 1 & 2?). You have been an awesome support for me sapling; I always look forward to your responses...thank you
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
....More will be revealed.
And I'm told by the oldtimers that more will be required as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About 15 years ago or so, I started going to meetings with a friend who had a heroin addiction. I was amazed at the knowledge and compassion in that room. There are few places you get to experience that. I got hooked on going to the meetings. I always felt a bit invasive when I went by myself since I was not in recovery, but they did good things for my soul. I would go to one every couple months. I probably wouldn't be here if I didn't let that practice dwindle. I guess on a bright side, I have a reason to go again.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would say you have one and two down...Talk with your sponsor about it....Step 3 is just making a decision....And for me...that decision was whether I did the rest of the steps or not.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So you know exactly what I mean gottawonder and yeh, there is always a bright side Well Sapling, I think I have step 3 down too...