Notices

What is your plan to stay sober

Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

39 days sober here. I'm honestly just taking it day by day. I haven't had a whole lot of cravings so it hasn't been too bad for me. What I have been making sure to do is to stay busy when I'm at home (which is A LOT because I am a true blue homebody). Also, if I suddenly feel compelled to drink, I am trying to pay attention to what triggered the urge so that I am not surprised in the future. A huge thing for me is coming to this forum daily. I read a lot more than I comment, but I am here reading multiple times a day. I read for strength and support. This place is undeniably essential for my personal recovery.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I quit for good and promptly joined AA and SR. I stopped AA after three months because I got all I needed and was sure I would make it to recovery with SR, my Docs, family, and friends. I recommend AA to everyone newly sober for as long as they need it. Many stay longer than I did. I did not leave for any reason other than I was passing it along here doing my service. I am going to a meeting Sunday with my old home group to get my two year coin. I stop in so they know I am still doing fine. I credit my Docs, the in hospital detox, AA, SR and all my friends with helping me recover. I am recovered now and am paying it forward. Besides, now my friends are here, and many already chimed in.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just come here, pray, exercise and maintain a healthy diet.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I come here everyday, sometimes just reading other posts is enough. Took up Yoga, and remembering the look on my 13yr old sons face when he called me an alcoholic, that one will never leave my brain, and for my sobriety I'm glad I wont forget it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I quit for good and joined AA and SR, and stopped AA too when I got what I needed from it (still have my 24 hour coin). As for staying sober, what did it for me was taking responsibility for my drinking, and taking responsibility for my sobriety too. I used to think that I 'had' to drink to the point of passing out every night, but I learned that I didn't have to do that at all. I chose to accept that I was going to have urges to drink, strong urges sometimes, but I no longer had to act on them. I chose to believe I could stop drinking, and I did it.

Alcohol and alcohol dependence? I am done with the whole business. Enough already.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

14 weeks today for me. I use SR - it gives me a good look at recovery and reminds me how far I've come . I hurt for others when I read the misery in some of the newcomer threads....and NEVER want to go back.

Sobriety has given me a calmness and mindfulness that makes it easier to reject alcohol, because I know how much better I feel and think.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My plan is to combat anxiety with meditation and exercise. I can't afford to take anti-anxiety medication, even as prescribed. It makes me a little too detached and makes me think my drinking problem is not such a big deal, when in reality it is a matter of life and death.

Natalie
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sel

combination of

My child
Willpower
AA - no judgment, no looking down on you, great support system
Memories of embarrassment and shame in drunken state- ever fell off a bar stool??
Knowing I lost my promising job over some cheap liquid poison- wish that happenned to me when I first started abusing alcohol about 6 yrs ago., would have gotten the wake up call much sooner- Do not drink at work!!! Do not drink at all. Period.
Health worries- none yet but was heading that direction, right?

I am done

I am also going to use money as a motivation, even when I find another job and make money. Think of all the money we can save a year by not buying booze. Ever calculate how much you have spent year to date?? Ouch