Notices

Anxiety vent

Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Anxiety vent

Not sure why but I've been super anxious over the last few days. Today was particularly bad. I was shaky, kept having to catch my breath, had a bad temper (honked a lot while driving, kicked my car because I dropped something and got mad, and throwing things when frustrated). I haven't been this anxious since the drinking days and I HATE it so much. I become irritable and I know I am horrible to be around. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow so hopefully he'll help me figure out wtf is going on.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know I've had some cranky days since I quit. I think it's great that you're talking to the doc about this. I hope you get some answers!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

This is a good little article on PAWS: Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

I felt a whole lot better after I did some reading on the subject. Seems I wasn't crazy after all! Hang in there (and don't put any dents in your car)!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. My psychiatrist is doing a med change, and also went over some deep breathing exercises with me. Meanwhile I'm getting the "just put yourself above it, don't give into it, you let anxiety run your life, be stronger" from my mom. Ugh... not that easy! People just don't get it. I used to just stuff it all away and that's how I ended up sh*tfaced for the better part of a decade. I'm out of the hospital 60 days. I'm sober 64 days. I think I'm doing pretty damn well. I just wish I got more support on my "off" days, especially really bad ones like right now.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

unfortunately, time takes time, and that is what your body needs to heal. Good you are working with your doctor on this too.

Breathing works wonders. When I was in early sobriety, and was overwhelmed, I would live minute to minute. I'd keep to saying to myself, ok, at this very minute you are fine. Just this very minute. It seemed to help
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You're probably going have to figure out things that soothe you...music, pets, nature walks, mindless tv, etc. to release and get through the anxiety. That article on PAWS was helpful-thanks ArtSoul! Unbelievable it takes around two years (I guess that's short in the whole scheme of things as most of us drank way longer than 2 years)

You are doing really well! Don't lose sight of that!!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are doing well, and be proud of how far you've come.

I know the deep breathing sounds simplistic, but it works. I get anxiety attacks and sometimes panic attacks and I find that my breathing becomes shallow right away and that increases the heart rate. If you can do three deep, slow breaths, it will slow your body down.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone