Notices

sober growing pains

Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober growing pains

I have come to the conclusion that I drank excessively to get away not only from life but from myself. I used it to cope in so many situations; death, loss, phone calls to my addict parents. I'm left w just me now & I feel so many emotions. Today I'm angry. For many reasons. Normally I'd drink but I'm trying to find the source & deal with it. I learned that rinsing my brain cells w alcohol numbed my issues. It then became instinct. I'm uncomfortable but sober. In pain but growing.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's like being reborn.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good news tho is we're not newborn babies - and we adapt pretty quick to the new challenges sober life brings us

Keep moving forward, Quit :

D
Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel! That was me yesterday. Angry and stressed out over everything, and nothing all at once. I'm still amazed I didn't drink, but I didn't and today is so much better because I am still sober. This is a crazy, painful, difficult process but we can do it. Hang in there.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rebmeM

Today is day 3, and it was harder than the previous two. I had a stressful day at work, long drive to the hotel, more work to do there. I don't want to drink, but I do. Once I figure out how to handle my emotions without tipping a bottle back, things will be better for me. Just need to fight my way through these times.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys....you're right Dee...we humans do have that wonderful innate ability to adapt and to ca & Telco, I think us newbies need to keep saying that even thought we may get the urge to drink doesn't mean we have to. Yesterday I said maybe tomorrow & said the same thing today...just 1 day is about all I can handle right now & that's just fine
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I'm uncomfortable but sober. In pain but growing.
you beat me to it! i always tell people that early sobriety is supposed to be uncomfortable. you're breaking in a new lifestyle. like a new pair of sneakers. it's going to be uncomfortable for a while until it becomes what you're used to. if it's uncomfortable it's because it's not what you're used to and that's GREAT! it means you're doing the right thing! you're doing wonderfully. keep coming here for support and encouragement. believe in yourself. you have the power to do this!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much displacedgrits I figured all of this out on my long commute from home and it was like a revelation to me but yet so simple...i've been numbing for so long I haven't felt uncomfortable in awhile. That's how so called normal people feel in times of stress. I will keep coming, love all the support on here, it means a lot ((hugs))