Notices

How Did You First Stumble Across SR And Why

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Did You First Stumble Across SR And Why

Been on since 09 but can't really remember how, must of been a Google search. I do remember being desperate to find connections, especially ones 24/7 I think I tried a half dozen but SR seemed to fit. I was a lurker for awhile then I jumped in the deep end. Even on line I was shy at first but found it a safe place. Was on a few places very judgemental to where it felt damaging. I do have a sensitivity about being judged and am very quiet in meetings. One thing I really like is I can share and get feedback and know where I stand. I get nervous when I share at a meeting then it moves on. I always feel I've made a fool of myself. I was in a men's group for a few years that was cool but most of the guys were like construction workers who used superglue to patch their wounds so I felt kind of whimpy. I really feel accepted here. Though some of you might use superglue. Just curious about how and why SR. None of my beeswax though.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found this wonderful place when I googled "alcohol withdrawal" or something like that. I read a bunch of posts then joined in a few days later. I was scared to quit drinking because of was scared of withdrawal, but my detox wasn't that bad, thankfully, after the first two days. I did detox with dr. supervision, I must add. I love SR! I have found so much more here than just the original info I was looking for. Soooooo much more!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I get nervous when I share at a meeting then it moves on. I always feel I've made a fool of myself. I was in a men's group for a few years that was cool but most of the guys were like construction workers who used superglue to patch their wounds so I felt kind of whimpy. I really feel accepted here. Though some of you might use superglue.
That's exactly how I felt at my first meeting. Lol.

I found this place via Google. Every possible topic I can think of has been discussed here and everybody is so supportive. It's refreshing to know I'm not quite as alone as I always thought I was.

None of my friends are dealing with alcohol quite on my level (they're out of control in an "in control" type of way).

So yeah, this place is cool.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Near the end of 2010 I had finally switched to vaping nicotine (e-cigs) instead of smoking. I had read up on them for about six months at a really good forum, kinda like here there was lots of good people & info. After I had made that switch and wasn't coughing up a lung all day everyday, got me to thinking about changing my life with my drinking\anxiety... (I kept wanting to believe that my anxiety was a completely separate issue)
I googled something like "does alcohol cause anxiety".
Either directly (or through a blog like:Why Alcohol Causes Anxiety | Anxiety Guru | Hope and Healing)
The search brought me here, I read a bit and created an account, very glad it did too.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Way back in 2000 I was starting into some really heavy health issues, had been sober 19 years but all of a sudden, was no longer able to work, walk and was literally dieing from diabetes.

I was basically home bound and although my AA friends were bringing me a meeting twice a week, I was in a funk. I had a home PC by then and started searching for some on line recovery sites. I found AEB (Another Empty Bottle).com and met some really great folks, some of whom I am great friends with, and others who were good friends. When AEB started to deteriorate due to the owners health issues, one of the members at AEB, Carol D, told me about Sober Recovery, and I joined. Have been a member
ever since. rofl

Yes, I got better physically over time, and today have a pretty active life for a 67 year old sober woman, who can still be more stubborn than a mule, lmao Yes, I do get to some meetings, yes today I again travel, take good walks daily, but I still LOVE coming to SR!!!!!!

Even though I have many years in recovery from both alcoholism and being a codependent, I am far from perfect, and although I do share my own ES&H as much as I can, I still get a lot FROM SR also!!!!!

This is why this site is so different from other sites, and so much better than some of the other sites on the net. One can take as one needs, and then when a bit better, share with others what they are doing TODAY to stay sober and clean and sane.

Just my experience.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I was detoxing and just looking up different things on that subject and bam I was here. I dont really remember joining or anything. I never had joined anything on the computer , never was in a chat room ect.

And man I was in that chat room 15 hours a day for months at first ...

Thank all of you..
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stumbled across SR when I was 2 months sober. I was searching specifically for a forum to discuss being sober with people who were in the same position as me!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Found it in the throes of a death like hangover
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I joined just about a month ago after using google to search on line meetings. I spent the first 12 years of my sobriety going to AA meetings, but after my sponsor died, drifted away.

After 2 years of not thinking much about working on sobriety, thought it time to get back to a sober community, and found this site. I've been on it daily since, and has helped me a lot.
In this short time, I've already grown to care about so many on here! And I hope to celebrate my 15 years with you all in April 2013
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Stumbled upon SR about 7 years ago, maybe longer. Wasn't yet sober, but started typing about one month into sobriety last year (with an alias and password I could remember!).

Over 16 months of continuous sobriety now....and moving forward.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was in the throes of guilt, self hatred, and oxycodone and went searching for help. I googled oxycodone withdrawal and it brought me here. As many have done I skirted around the periphery while reading other peoples stories and posts. I found such comfort in feeling a brotherhood of sorts even though I was anonymous and unregistered. Eventually I stepped across the line and joined. I love it and am here daily.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi

I came across S.R about two years ago when I was really desparate for help and someone to talk to, when I first realised and acknoweldged to myself that my drinking had become a big problem! I was doing searches on Google, but all the sites I came across wanted payments, some quite large payment amounts too. Then I luckily found this site, joined and recieved loads of support and encouragement.

I lapsed for a good while but now I'm back with a vengenance! For good!

Big hugs

Gx
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I googled 'alcohol recovery' cause I was desperate. I'd been in detox for a week and the day I got home I was drinking again. I needed support and advice and encouragement and I found it here.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Interesting thread! I'd googled different word combos like: 'how much is it normal to drink" and "how do you know if you're an alcoholic" and I found this site. I joined right away and I'm so glad I did!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I came across SR about 4 yrs ago. My drug and alcohol use was beginning to scare me and I wanted to find out whether I needed to address it, how to address it, and if there was hope. It was another 5 or 6 months until I quit and got into a program, There have been false starts and stops since then. SR has seen me through all of them. I've been clean for my longest time now.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why was cos I knew I had a problem. How is lost on me. Google, I guess.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

After 7 tears sober,I drank a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla on Sunday at 3:00 pm.On Monday I drank a teaspoon at 1:00 Pm.On Tuesday I googled "Drinking Vanilla Extract"because I woke up thinking about another spoonful.It brought me to a link here.Thank Heaven.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I Googled "alcoholic mind" b/c I could not understand why I wanted to quit drinking Sooo badly yet I'd return to it, day after day. Promising I'd stop & meaning it. Only to pick up the drink again & again.
I found SR. People just like me. Who hated themselves b/c of poisoning their lives.
And people who had beaten this demon.

I found hope, strength, encouragement & wisdom. And love & support.
I'm over 8 months sober b/c of SR!

No more insanity!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I googled "Am I an alcoholic" in March 2010.

At that point, I was still "Maybe I'm a problem drinker" and "I'm high-functioning" and it felt like the bravest thing I ever did to post here, and ADMIT I was struggling. Had a TON of shame about drinking.

From the first day, I felt like I was home. What a revelation to find other people who had the same twisted-warped "strategies" I had and.....to discover people who got sober and were HAPPY and putting their lives in order.

Great question.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NYR

Googled alcoholics forum I think. I just recently got started in some other forums, but really needed to vent here about my alcoholism. Tried talking to friends, but I don't think they think I have that bad of a problem even when I told them some of my stories. I failed to raise eyes when I explained how much I spend on alcohol either.