Notices

How Did You First Stumble Across SR And Why

Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great responses. SR is always like a mirror to me. I'm very open with my family about my dis-ease but its like talking to them I have brain cancer, here I feel understood and understanding, very important to me.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was on a restricted access military ptsd site and someone recognized who I was and started refering to me using my real name. This for me turned the site into a mini version of facebook and others wanted to get caught up on old times which was something I was not interested in. And found it too dificult to talk a certain things without annonymity and felt I couldn't stay. Another problem was there was limited support for my alcoholism and other issues that in my opinion made me succeptable to the ptsd in the first place. I started searching for another ptsd site that was big enough for me to get the support I needed without anyone knowing who I was. SR came up and reading through posts I found a huge diversity of people dealing with an equal number of problems. This makes me feel I have a place to go no matter what's on my mind, and everyone accepts me no matter what.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had been sober a few months, a member of AA but something was niggling inside me. I needed more. So google it was for me and happy I found SR the added support is fantastic!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I must have known I was an alkie, deep down. I've written about it in my journals for YEARS now. I've never spoken about it out loud, until Jan 1 this year.

I was desperate and searching the web and found this site. Thank God for the site and everyone on here. Quitting wouldn't have been nearly as easy without everyone on here. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Sober Life

I found this place looking for a place to share my writing with people about my recovery. Unfortunately I am not aloud to post my blog here... Still looking! Glad to be here though and to hear strentgh and hope from others!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Off topic but I believe there is a blogging area here.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I found SR googling alcohol related health problems... something which I had done many times before but one time I stumbled on here. I never really lurked, I was just grateful to come across other people who drank too and posted right away. I am not a computer type person and I don't think I really knew what a forum was so I would never have specifically looked for one and there is no way I would have gone to AA without talking to people here about it. Quite frankly I wouldn't be sober without SR. It's a great resource and support network.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Found SR when I was nearly three months sober. Googled Alcohol Forums and there it was.

I posted immediately and chatted quite quickly.

I feel at home on here and love catching up with my SR Friends. I have learnt so much and seen recovery from different angles. The differing opinions, thoughts and ideas have give me so much to think about and helped me stay on the sobriery train

Thanks to you all - you all rock so much and mean an awful lot to me.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I don't remember how I found it. It must have been around 2004 because my mom was still drinking then .... that's why I was here. To figure out how to save her. In the meantime, I was screwing up my life with alcohol too.

Today, both of us are sober.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hit rock bottom a few days ago. Decided to take control of my life...I googled some phrase regarding alcohol recovery and found this site. Already reading threads has helped immensely to not feel so alone and isolated. Still figuring out how to get help IRL, but SR has already helped me find some answers.

Scared to go to AA for the first time. Going to an outpatient center tomorrow morning to see if I can afford it/find out options.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KansasCityGirl View Post
Scared to go to AA for the first time.
I was SO scared to go to AA. Petrified.

But once you go through those doors and sit down, you're stuck and you'll get through it just fine.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Googled 'alcohol withdrawl symptoms' today. Joined the forum here today. Thinking about not going to the store for another box of wine today.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tally
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome
Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tally809 View Post
Googled 'alcohol withdrawl symptoms' today. Joined the forum here today. Thinking about not going to the store for another box of wine today.
I would say that's a good decision...Glad to have you with us. Talk with your doctor about what your plans are if you can.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
orangutan

I knew I was an alchaholic for a long time but when my liver started playing up I had to find a way to stop my drinking and I stumbled across SR .Met some great friends here and lots of support when I need it.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't remember how I found SR, but I know that at the time I joined I was pretty desperate. I'm glad I'm here.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
...than never

looked up "late stage alcoholism", because I wanted to know what to look forward to. SR was one of the top hits. What I read made me want to avoid late stage alcoholism at all costs.

I read the site still drinking for about 6 monthsm, then one day I saw a post titled "60 days", and I thought "I want 60 days". A few weeks later I actually tried, made it to 95 days, then relapsed very badly for a couple of months, then started again and now it's almost two years with no alcohol.