Notices

Hey guys

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

I've been lurking this forum for weeks and it's been extremely helpful for me.

I've been a binge drinker for like 3 years now. Once I start, I keep going till I blackout. Typically once a week, if that. My last bender, 2 weeks ago, lead to a DUI - which resulted in me being fired for having missed work the morning of the arrest, car was taken away by parents, and of course my license is suspended.

I thought I was being a normal 20-something person before, and now I realize I have a serious problem.

There's a beginner's AA meeting happening tonight and I'm considering going, but I wanted to ask you all if a non-everyday type alcoholic will benefit from the AA program.... Or if you think out-patient rehab would be better, maybe since it focuses on therapy and stuff rather than "steps".

I'm new to this so forgive me if I sound stupid.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have believed that we were non-typical alcoholics, but the bottom line is, alcohol is messing up your life. I think that it's really important to accept that you are an alcoholic. I think the amount of motivation you have to recover, is more important the method you choose. Please know that you are capable of turning your life around.

Here's a list of some programs:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey drift, I see a lot of me of your story in me. Had a major issue from a binge and I decided I was done with booze. I knew i couldn't control my drinking my own. I personally went to IOP, a weekly counseling appointment, and am now starting aa and am not sure it will be for me, but I'm gong to try. I too was a binge and fooled my self into thinking wasn't a alcoholic because I didnt drink everyday, hated hard booze, etc. I was wrong, alcoholism is unpredictable, progressive and sneaky, and while I was in denial it got me and cost me.... I've been sober for 68 days and haven't felt so good in years, it I know fr certain. Cannot drink again, ever. Others with more aa experience will comment on aa,but let me know i can answer any I questions, etc?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The steps are the program of AA....The rehab I went to got me ready for AA. I went...And it worked. I think you should at least check it out....Check out a couple of them....The worst that can happen is you don't like it and you didn't drink. I haven't had a drink in 15 months. And I don't want one.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needsassistance View Post
Hey drift, I see a lot of me of your story in me. Had a major issue from a binge and I decided I was done with booze. I knew i couldn't control my drinking my own. I personally went to IOP, a weekly counseling appointment, and am now starting aa and am not sure it will be for me, but I'm gong to try. I too was a binge and fooled my self into thinking wasn't a alcoholic because I didnt drink everyday, hated hard booze, etc. I was wrong, alcoholism is unpredictable, progressive and sneaky, and while I was in denial it got me and cost me.... I've been sober for 68 days and haven't felt so good in years, it I know fr certain. Cannot drink again, ever. Others with more aa experience will comment on aa,but let me know i can answer any I questions, etc?
Have you been to AA at all? I'm really nervous for some reason. I don't like airing my dirty laundry so to speak.

And congrats on 68 days btw!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take a look at this site...They talk about the fear of going...It covers everything. You don't have to say anything...Just go and listen.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been to two meeting so far. You dont have to speak, would encourage you to go and check it out. There's no pressure for you to do anything. At the beginning they ask if there are any new comers, raised my hand and said my name and have said nothing else each time. Just go listen, you'll hear stories from a wide variety of people that you will likely be able to relate. Seriously, it was easy and no pressure environment, felt very comfortable and only said my name.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That beginner's meeting would be good too...They'll keep it simple and you'll have other people there for their first meeting. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That beginner's meeting would be good too...They'll keep it simple and you'll have other people there for their first meeting. Nothing wrong with that.
I was thinking that, too. Just a bit worried about it being open for students and family members and stuff. Doesn't sound very relaxing to me.

But I'm going to try it out anyway. I've embarrassed myself so many times on alcohol, it'd be ridiculous for me to be a prude about an AA meeting.

Thanks for that link btw. Makes me feel a bit at ease.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Driftapart

I think most of us start off thinking we're not a really a typical alcoholic for whatever reason, I know I had plenty... When you go to AA try and identify with other people rather than playing spot the difference. I'm sure it will be helpful to you. x
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

The program of AA helps me treat the reason I pick up a drink after a period of not drinking.

I would like to encourage you to go tonight.

If you have time, click this link and listen to an AA member, Earl H. speaking on the 12 steps. It's only about 45 minutes, and moves quickly. It has been helping me. You may even laugh and relate to what he is sharing.

Earl H. – from Studio City, CA Speaking on The 12 Steps at Sober Village 12 in Sonora Bay

5thTradition.org - "...to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers."

Congratulations on coming here and being honest and reaching out for help.

We can stay sober together.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
The program of AA helps me treat the reason I pick up a drink after a period of not drinking.

I would like to encourage you to go tonight.

If you have time, click this link and listen to an AA member, Earl H. speaking on the 12 steps. It's only about 45 minutes, and moves quickly. It has been helping me. You may even laugh and relate to what he is sharing. Happy Day.

Earl H. – from Studio City, CA Speaking on The 12 Steps at Sober Village 12 in Sonora Bay
Thanks, downloading now.

And I'm def going tonight.... No matter how much my anxiety is telling me not to lol.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi Driftapart,
It's great that you are starting to address the problem early and wanting to do something about it. I am nearly 15 months sober thanks to to the support of AA and SR.
I would not exaggerating if I said my life has changed amazingly due to being sober and following a program.
get back to us and tell us how your first meeting went.
caiHong
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by driftapart View Post
Thanks, downloading now.

And I'm def going tonight.... No matter how much my anxiety is telling me not to lol.
You're awesome. Keep seeking. You can do it.

The best way to predict your future is to create it.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Driftapart

D
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just got back from the meeting. It wasn't half as bad as I was expecting!

The crowd was small and intimate, very diverse group (age-wise), and everyone was surprisingly friendly.

They went around the room like 3 times and pressured me to talk, though. I was stuttering and probably sounded like a complete moron because I was so nervous. But it's good for me to speak out and be confident without using alcohol as a crutch, so I guess it's good that they pushed me to speak up.

Thanks to those who pushed me to go!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great news! I am proud of you!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
Great news! I am proud of you!
Thanks bb! And I'm gonna listen to that audio you gave me before I go to bed tonight. I'm feeling really inspired and hopeful for the first time in a long time. I know I can do this.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's really great that you went, driftapart! I've found most people there are really friendly, too. Maybe it's because they remember how it was when they walked in for the first time. We've all been to hell and back in one way or another.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making a decision to get sober!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

One day at a time.