Notices

There only just so much....

Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Ken, glad you are here, sorry to hear about your news of yesterday, but...now what? I am sure there are folks you may call at any hour. I'm jus' sayin.

I've mentioned Steinbeck and East of Eden on SR before, but your post triggered that thought process of mine again. Timshel, a Hebrew word, is the theme of the book, and the movie starring James Dean was the only movie of his released during his lifetime. The word, as it appears in Genesis when God is discussing sin with Cain after Abel's offerings are accepted with praise and Cain's are rejected, has been translated in different ways. 'Do thou' rule over sin is one translation, a promise. 'Thou shalt' rule over sin is another, a command. The meaning in Hebrew, however, is this:
' sin coucheth at the door; and unto thee is its desire, but thou mayest rule over it.'
Steinbeck wrote this:
“The American Standard translation orders men to triumph over sin, and you can call sin ignorance. The King James translation makes a promise in ‘Thou shalt,’ meaning that men will surely triumph over sin. But the Hebrew word, the word timshel — ‘Thou mayest’ — that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open. That throws it right back on a man. For if ‘Thou mayest’ — it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.’ ...

“Now, there are millions in their sects and churches who feel the order, ‘Do thou,’ and throw their weight into obedience. And there are millions more who feel predestination in ‘Thou shalt.’ Nothing they may do can interfere with what will be. But ‘Thou mayest’! Why, that makes a man great, that gives him stature with the gods, for in his weakness and his filth and his murder of his brother he has still the great choice. He can choose his course and fight it through and win.”
Mumford and Sons - Timshel - YouTube

You can choose, Ken.
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand
And we'll hold your hand
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Ken...Sorry you stumbled yesterday. I would like to write something very supportive for you to read. However when I read through all of the above posts I find lots of support, encouragement and advice..

I hope you have a better day today..Are you worth it? Of course you are. Shouldn't even be a question!

Take care.

Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think the simplest form of support or advice I can give anyone is this. If what you are doing isn't working.....Maybe it's time to try something else.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Fresh.... Free will is ours.

The response to my asking for support is more than the encouragement I needed. Thank you all.

I will look back at this post in a few weeks and wonder why I let myself drink? It will be something I just don't do. It's something I as an alcoholic cannot do. Not even a little bit.

I will reach out before and not after.

Ken
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like the fellowship in recovery because
even tho we have a common problem
with learning how to stay clean or sober,
each one has a little something extra to
bring to the table. I appreciate different
views and solutions that others share and
can take what I want or need to better my
own recovery. A matter of taking what I
want and leaving the rest. A mixture of
seriousness and fun which keeps sobriety
intersting.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just wanted to send out a post of support.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ken, you are such a good person, it shines through your writing and we all can see it. You have an honesty that is refreshing, and are not afraid to share the ups and downs of this common experience. I'm sorry you slipped yesterday, but you made it through the whole weekend which was a great accomplishment.

In real life our friends might get sick of us talking about the process over and over again but you're here among real people struggling with the same challenges. It's the place to get the support you need as you need it I don't think anyone has to worry about needing too much support here.

I think you need to work on a list of why you're worth the rewards of sobriety, refer to it when things get precarious!!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thank you so much. NFW. i am really going lightly on myself today. Allowing the observation of the mistake to be seen and not felt.

I am getting back at the business of staying sober. Everyday.

I will step up my game because of this. I also decided that since I did make it through the weekend and only felt I could drink one on a day off. I will not take anymore days off until I get some footing on this. Keep everything planned and stable first. It's to early for me to give myself more time than I already have.

I am feeling much much better mentally. My body will have to catch up this time. Not the other way around.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR djgsep1952

D
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear it Weasel, but I'm glad that it doesn't seem to have affected your determination.

Don't worry about running out of support. It's free, so...
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ken. You can do this. Progress not perfection. Let's get back on the horse and start riding. I'm hoping that your not beating yourself up to much over this. We are always going to be here for you.