Notices

Blame where blame isn't due

Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blame where blame isn't due

I have a hard time sharing blame. Or maybe the right term is "responsibility"? Regardless, while drinking I either quietly panicked in my head hoping nobody would look my way, assumed it was my fault and tried to fix things anyway I knew how or I argued so defensively I looked guilty even if I wasn't.
The common theme though was that, no matter what, it was my fault. That's how I've felt for years and it's not consistently been the truth.

I was hit in the face with this today and I've been struggling very, very hard. I was supposed to travel tomorrow evening to meet with a client on Wednesday and Thursday. When I asked my admin assistant to confirm this morning, she said they were expecting me tomorrow (Tues). I was immediately in defense mode. Sh*t, what did I screw up? I booked my plans and confirmed the trip personally all while sober. After speaking with my client, it seems she and I both mixed things up, are both at fault and came to a mutually agreed upon resolution. But I still feel completely responsible. It's killing me and I'm sitting here worried beyond reason. I know it's because I have screwed up travel plans for work and otherwise because of my drinking in the past and I can't shake the feeling that I'm still being a jerk. Anyone else know how I feel? The funny thing is, I've only really screwed things up once in five years. And even then I wound up with a lucky rabbit's foot or something. Yet, I KNOW I'm one excuse, one stupid mistake away from being busted. ugh. terrible feeling. I just have to remember... I was sober, sober, sober! Now if I'm stupid it's because of that and only that!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Omg, Silly. I could have written this post! I didn't think anyone else was like me in this aspect. It is something that has caused problems in my psyche for so many years. I don't really have anything of value to add I suppose, only that I understand 100%. I have often wondered if it didn't come from how I grew up. I can remember other kids being congratulated for getting B's but me being criticized for not getting straight A's, that sort of thing along with always feeling/being responsible for everyone and everything! I guess the good part now is that we are identifying it and can see it for what it is. And we are sober
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jaxs!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I identify with both of you!!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, me too. Always think if something goes wrong it's my fault.