Notices

It's been a week

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a week

Morning all

I'm so pleased I made it through a whole week

This time last monday I was desprate to quit drinking, fed up of being drunk every night and waking up ashamed and full of regret. I joined here and forced myself to a meeting.

Monday - Thursday I could not function and the tears would not stop rolling, all I did was eat, sleep, read and post here.

Friday was a big day, a day of action. Would this be the day I fail as it's a weekend, I tortured myself all day with the am I/am I not an alcoholic, the thought of going to the pub with my husband filled me with fear. I needed to be brave, I knew I did not want to drink, so I could not let myself be put in the suituation where it was to normal and easy to have just that one drink, which would never be just that one drink.

Friday evening was the day I had to tell my husband I did not want to go to the pub and I had to explain what my week had been like, he had no idea I missed college, went to AA meeting and wasted the whole of my days sat on my backside. I suggested we take the dog out to the beach and go for a long walk, we talked for 4 hrs about the effects drinking was having on us and he understood where I was comming from and at last he accepted I had a problem and I wished to never drink again. (He still beleives he can control his drinking, I'll let him decide in his own time, as long as he remains supportive of my decision) Talking to him was the best decision I had made all week. I know i'm not alone in this.

Saturday and Sunday was such a joy the house felt at peace and everyone was happy, me and my hubby would just keep smiling at each other like to say, this feels good, the children carried on as they would normally on the weekend with their hobbies, friends and TV but there was no shouting!!

Hubby joined a golf club and went for my first run.

Last night brought me back down a bit when he went to the pub, I went through a whole load of emotions but I got stuck into my college work for the whole evening and before I knew it he was home after only having a few (he is trying, bless him)

I woke up a slightly better person this monday, but I can not allow myself to be fooled into thinking I'm ok I'm over the worst of it, every day is a struggle and everyday I think will it be ok to have a drink. It is so easy to forget how bad things really were when your having a good day and this has been the reason I have failed so many times over the last 12 months.

I will go to the same AA meeting today and see where this week takes me.

Thanks to everyone who reached out to help and support me this week it's means so much and thanks for reading this, sorry it was only going to be a quick post to celebrate reaching one week.

Thinkng of you all xxx
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week, that's awesome!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

What a nice post to begin the day...

Well done on all fronts. Keep it up, and keep going to meetings and growing.

I look forward to hearing how this week takes you..
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dorris, Congrats on week one! Your post was uplifting this morning. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your week. Enjoy the day!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week Dorris!....Sounds like you are doing fantastic....Who knows...Maybe your hubby will join you for a meeting sometime...But you are correct....That has to be his decision...Just keep setting a good example....And keep on keeping on! Thank you for a great post!!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Dorris, and congratulations on one week.

It DOES get easier, I promise. The longer you are sober, the less you'll think about alcohol. Keep going, because not only does it get easier but the benefits keep coming and coming
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dorris!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news dorris.

Keep going a day at a time,the days soon add up.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic Dorris...You are doing great....
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dorris-Congrats! You are doing wonderful! & thanks for sharing!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats indeed on your first week sober!! Keep on keepin' on - it does get better.