Notices

Where do I start?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I start?

So I am sitting here the morning after again. The hangover, the regrets, the embarassment of my drinking. I guess looking back I have been an alcoholic my entire adult life. My low was last night for the first time my 7 year old son saw my "episode" up until now I had really tried to be careful. I was falling down drunk again but what scared me it was beer not hard alcohol. I hit my husband, screamed at him, and embarassed us at a friends house all in front of my son. My husband called my mother to the house to help my son while he tried to deal with me. I have in and out memories of what occurred. I am mortified again. I have really hit the bottom of the barrel. I can't believe how horrible I have been to my family and friends. I realize I drink as an excuse to de-stress. Have been for years. I always have this sense of regret after a night of drinking. I hate the way I feel and then within a few days it goes away and I am back drinking on the weekend. I social drink that is one thing. Every where I go and everyone I am with drinks - I feel like sometimes I have more control but then there are other times I really don't have control like last night. These episodes are happening more frequently. My poor husband and son. I want to do this for them and myself. But where do I start? How do I keep the momentum of refusing a drink. do I make myself designated driver? do I bring a bottle water to parties we have to go to? What do I do. I apologize for this rambling I am really just not sure what to do and where to start. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and offer assistance!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR tjmjh...This is a great place to be. I can tell you I was at that point I'd hurt enough people...Including myself...And I just couldn't do it anymore. What worked for me was walking into an AA meeting and asking for help. I haven't had a drink since...almost 15 months.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am less than a week in so I can't offer too much advice BUT I will say that I have been going to AA and all I keep hearing is "you never have to feel that way again" (as long as I don't take that first drink which always leads to a blackout). That statement really resonates with me. I really DON'T have to feel like that again. Have you ever tried AA or counseling? I am glad you are here and wish you the best!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both

No I have never been to counseling or AA. I guess I have always thought I had it under control apparently I haven't ... I was thinking the counseling route not sure where to start for that I guess my doctor first. I am glad to be here and I guess my first step is here acknowledging my problem. Thank you both again for making me feel welcome!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think a doctor is your best place to start...Be totally honest about your drinking.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do some reading and posting here...A lot of great people. Here is a thread with people quitting this month...If you would like...You can say hello and join them.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely will Sapling thank you! I am thinking that is best route. I know I am a social drinker or more of a binge drinker. I am not one to have a glass of wine while watching TV - my challenge comes from the social drinking then I come home and don't stop. I definitely will be calling my doctor tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you are off to a great start! Let us know how the Dr goes and keep reading around the threads....lots of great advice and inspiration
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you...Here is the Big Book of AA online if you want to look at it. I read this book and thought they wrote it about me.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm reading it too sapling and feel the same way lol
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by tjmjh View Post
Definitely will Sapling thank you! I am thinking that is best route. I know I am a social drinker or more of a binge drinker. I am not one to have a glass of wine while watching TV - my challenge comes from the social drinking then I come home and don't stop. I definitely will be calling my doctor tomorrow. Thank you.
Me too- I drank on the weekends with friends. Up until the last month or two I NEVER drank alone- ONLY at social events. Which was almost worse bc everyone would get to see me make an *ss out of myself. I have two kids (11, 13) and they saw me a few times wasted.

I am now almost 5 months sober. I started in AA, but am now just doing my own thing. Welcome...keep reading...this is a great place!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

aeo1313 I know it is so true it is in front of everyone and here I thought well I couldn't get this bad and I did. Thank you for your vote of confidence!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DAB

Welcome, tjmjh!
What keeps the momentum going is attending AA meetings and working the steps.
I have been sober almost 11 months, I don't think I could have done it without AA.
I only drank beer and had control most of the time. Like you, there were those times I lost that control and ended up making a donkey of myself. I learned that my spouse could only take a limited quantity of these "episodes". I was then faced with the choice to lose my family and keep drinking or work on my family and quit drinking. Actually, at the time I quit, I felt I had already lost my family as my wife had made the decision to move away with our daughter. I quit, because I knew without them here to keep balance in my life, it would eventually create health problems, possibly cause legal and financial problems, and eventually kill me. I strongly suggest you try AA. If you don't like the first meeting you attend, try another one. They are all a little different.
Best of luck to you!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to SR. First and foremost , you are not alone. All of us on here have struggled with Alcohol and are finding/trying ways that lead us into living a better life for our families and most importantly for ourselves. I relate to what you are saying all to well. I hope that you find the support that you need here and at home. Calling your doctor is a very good move. Please keep posting and once again welcome! Life can and will be so different with a few steps in a different direction. ((Hug))
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

We've all been there, and are doing well to try not to go there again
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I think it is great you are reaching out.

Most of us know the horrible feelings you are enduring right now. The only way that you will feel stronger is by making the decision not to drink anymore.

As for today, take it slowly. Hydrate, nap, take a bath, some vitamins. You can't change the horror of last night, so try not to keep ruminating about it. (says the queen of rumination)

Checking into SR often has done wonders for me to see that my patterns ARE one of an alcoholic, and to get me to the point of recognizing I don't have the ability to drink in a normal way any longer.

Oh, I wouldn't be going to any parties for awhile. I think one MUST avoid situations that are threatening to our sobriety...until safer days are reached.

Wishing you the best.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you RevivingOphelia! I will take your suggestions and start a new slowly today. I think its one of those things that I am coming to terms with this morning. I am fortunate I have the husband I do. He has dealt with this for 15 years. I agree about the parties The challenge I have these are neighborhood parties for my son so its very hard not to go if you know what I mean. I guess I can't worry about that bridge until I come to it right! Start today and I'll see where today leads me! I appreciate your honesty! Thank you!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjmjh View Post
So I am sitting here the morning after again. The hangover, the regrets, the embarassment of my drinking. I guess looking back I have been an alcoholic my entire adult life. My low was last night for the first time my 7 year old son saw my "episode" up until now I had really tried to be careful. I was falling down drunk again but what scared me it was beer not hard alcohol. I hit my husband, screamed at him, and embarassed us at a friends house all in front of my son. My husband called my mother to the house to help my son while he tried to deal with me. I have in and out memories of what occurred. I am mortified again. I have really hit the bottom of the barrel. I can't believe how horrible I have been to my family and friends. I realize I drink as an excuse to de-stress. Have been for years. I always have this sense of regret after a night of drinking. I hate the way I feel and then within a few days it goes away and I am back drinking on the weekend. I social drink that is one thing. Every where I go and everyone I am with drinks - I feel like sometimes I have more control but then there are other times I really don't have control like last night. These episodes are happening more frequently. My poor husband and son. I want to do this for them and myself. But where do I start? How do I keep the momentum of refusing a drink. do I make myself designated driver? do I bring a bottle water to parties we have to go to? What do I do. I apologize for this rambling I am really just not sure what to do and where to start. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and offer assistance!
Welcome tjmjh, i can relate ro this. Last month when i found this site, it was after an bad brunken episode where i screamed and yelled at my husband in front of my 3 year old and he had to take her outside to get her away from it. Apparnrlty the neighbours heard and were out on theie lawns. So embarrased, that was last month.

The social binge slowly turns into everyday blackouts at least it did for me.

Glad you are here. We can do this, I hope you stick around. The community here is incredible.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! Take a look around, there's lots of options these days to help you quit for good...seeing your doctor is a great start (just make sure you're totally honest about your drinking). I wish you well
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Avra thank you for welcoming me! So far everyone on here has been quite supportive and great advice. Thank you for sharing .. I really appreciate it!