Notices

Alcohol is ruining me

Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol is ruining me

I've been abusing alcohol for several years to cope with my life and through long periods of loneliness. I have suffered from major depression for years and alcohol has been my way of coping. I've had a major breakdown and can't go to work or college. A few days a go I was thrown in a cell for being in an alcoholic rage at 3 in the morning. I'm going to try and commit to being sober but I don't know how. I'm too broken down to really think coherently and too sick to think about drinking. All I can seem to do is lie down and stare into space. Maybe in the next few hours I can thin kabout not drinking but not now. Someone from the health time is seeing me in half an hour and I don't know what to say.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HillOH, I am new here and new to sobriety, but there are a lot of people here who will give you some excellent advice, so please keep coming here. You will find so much support.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR hillOH...This is a great site for online support.

I've been where you are....Totally hopeless. It took me walking into an AA meeting...Admitting I'm an alcoholic and for the first time in my life....Listening to others. My way didn't work. Their way did.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi HillOH

I'm new here too. This is my day one and I'm absolutely terrified but there is a lot of support on here. Stay logged in today and take advice from others. Alcohol will not destroy us. Stay strong
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey hillOH,

I could have posted the exact same message. I'm glad you have found SR, do some reading here and you will find many wise and experienced folk, you are definatelyy not alone.

Jim
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been there, and I bet there are lots of folks on here who've been through major depression too and can talk with you about that. I'm a newbie, but one of the really helpful things I've learned here is just focus on the present, on today. You don't have to commit to anything more than one day at a time.

Welcome!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the mental time siad that they would not be hear for a few hours now because they eare busy. now. i have some whisky which i cannot sicdrink becaue i am too sick. i want ot go to the shop and buy some milk so i can have some tea. i have just picked up the phone because someone has called. maybe i can have some soup or a burger but i have to go to the shop.i like listsening to the radio.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.
I've been where you are, I suffered from depression for years combined with anxiety, and drank to help me cope. What I didn't realise was that alcohol is a depressant and was virtually counteracting any benefits I might have been getting from the meds. I ended up isolated, and planning suicide. I just couldn't see a way out of this cycle of drinking, shame and regret.
I found this site. I read lots of posts from people who had managed to find a way out of that blackness and despair. I kept posting, every day at first. I stopped drinking, and when I felt like I wanted one, I told someone on here and they talk me through it.
I started going to AA meetings, I listened to what they were doing to stay sober. I found the support from AA and SR to be my lifeline. Nobody judges, everybody wants to help.
I'm almost 4 months sober now, a relatively short time I know, but the main difference has been to my mental health. The depression and anxiety has lifted for the first time in my adult life. I've managed to come off antidepressants now under medical supervision. My relationships with those around me has improved.
My main problem wasn't depression but alcoholism.
You can do this if you really want it more than anything like I do.
I'm wishing you the very best. Keep close to us xxx
Old 09-23-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hillOH View Post
the mental time siad that they would not be hear for a few hours now because they eare busy.
I'm not real sure what that is. Is there anyway you can talk to your doctor and let them know you want to stop drinking?...They can make that easier and safer for you. Quitting by yourself can be dangerous...If not deadly. Be careful with that.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

shops

Is there anyway you can talk to your doctor and let them know you want to stop drinkingI said that i Wanted to stop drinking, they refered me to the mental health team because i Had been in the cells and my home was smashed up. I don't wanted to go outsied because it's raining but i need to go now for the shops.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe it's better that you didn't. Are they sending someone to help you?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Where do you live?...Are you in Ohio?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think, when you get a chance to talk to them, tell them the total honest truth, lay out the facts and let them help you hook up with the resources that can help you turn this around.

Myself and many others here can relate to what you are going through as we have been in very similar situations. Some of us lied our way out of it, to our own detriment, only prolonging the self destruction, until finally we came round back to the same place again.

I know it's hard to quiet the mind and not let it go twirling off into worry, because in the moment we can't see how things can ever work out. I think your plan to get yourself some tea and ride out the ill feelings until you can talk to the health time folks.

We don't have to know ahead of time the steps and means by which things will happen, just know that things can improve and there is help, and support and many have come from where you are to a better place in their lives.

I am so glad you found us so that you won't be alone in this scary time.

stay close
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah...I agree...Make yourself a cup of tea and hang out here for awhile...This place never closes.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Take a deep breath.

You do not have to drink EVER again, and I promise you thing will get MUCH better.

Get yourself to AA, try it out.

Best of luck !!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Where do you live?...Are you in Ohio?
No I live in the UK. I stayed in a charity for one night and a private place for another night. They have been contacting me daily. I am on diazpam which i have to take now. I did nnot drink today or yesterday and am not drinking until I am sober and stable my situation has been very stressful so I have been abusing alcohol extremely heavily. i have been extremely awware of the problem and have contacted my doctor in the past, the aa, and teh samaritans as well as any organisation, i could find,everyone just kept sayingt ohold on and i can't hold on, now i am in breakdown.today i am going to have some food and read.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yesterday i tried to buy a notepook and write down how i was feeling so i could keep track of my mind. i found that i could write down words but they did not make any sense. they just seemed to be random letters and words. even though i KNOW the words I can't get work things out and I couldn't link the words properly.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's good....Do you have someone coming to help you today?....We have quite a few members here from the UK....Maybe they can help with numbers for you. At least you know you aren't alone now.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hillOH View Post
yesterday i tried to buy a notepook and write down how i was feeling so i could keep track of my mind. i found that i could write down words but they did not make any sense. they just seemed to be random letters and words. even though i KNOW the words I can't get work things out and I couldn't link the words properly.
Yeah...When I first quit...I was spaced out...I had a hard time putting a sentence together....That gets better the more the brain gets a chance to clear up.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I believe they call that...Defogging.