Notices

New to this

Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

I just tried to post but got a message stating I need 25 more? I'm confused.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I might have figured it out. Anyway, this is day four without alcohol. I've tried to quit so many times but kept thinking I can could control my drinking. I joined AA a year ago and had a sponsor but I would still occasionally drink. After 6 months I stopped going to meetings. My husband and I decided that it would be ok for me to have wine only on the weekend. Before I knew it I was drinking every day day again. I tried to hide it from my kids(high school age) and family but I was only fooling myself. I went to counseling with my husband and he now knows that I cannot drink period. I am so afraid I am going to pick up again. I go to AA meetings, have a sponsor, take Campral and pray but at 4:00 something happens. All I can think about is getting my hands on alcohol. I don't understand why I cannot quit despite all of the pain I have caused my family.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

CA2589-Welcome! & congrat on 4 days!

I can TOTALLY relate. My trigger time has always been 5:00 (right after work).
My husband knows now that I can never drink again as well.

The cravings do lessen in time. Do you have a Big Book? Read the Chapter on, "The Doctors Opinion". The more you understand this "disease" the more you desire to conquer it.

Research everything! There are lots of threads here that may answer many of your questions and that help you see you are not alone and that you CAN do it!

Fill up your "trigger" time with activities. I told my husband that I was going to turn my obbsession of drinking into an obsession towards recovery. He said "Do what you gotta do"

The same for you, DO what you GOTTA DO! Find what works and work it.

I know it's tough right now, but look...4 days! Woo Hoo! Keep coming Back and Keep Posting. We are all here for you!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on day 4 also Ca2589. Yesterday, someone suggested an evening walk to me and I actually took that walk a little earlier because I was feeling overwhelmed with wanting a drink. Then I got out and did some thrift shopping, just to do something besides think about how much I wanted that drink. It really helped. So, do something out of the ordinary. Don't let the thought of that drink consume you. Get out and get your mind on something else. I'm talking as much to myself on this as much as to you. Stay strong today!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ca2589 View Post
I go to AA meetings, have a sponsor, take Campral and pray but at 4:00 something happens. All I can think about is getting my hands on alcohol. I don't understand why I cannot quit despite all of the pain I have caused my family.
That time used to kill me too....What I did was was find a 5:00 meeting...So I would think about that instead. Also you could listen to an AA speaker tape....Some great ones here.

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

Are you working the steps with your sponsor?...That is the program of recovery and it kept me busy enough that I didn't have much time to think about alcohol. Study the first 103 pages of the book...The directions for the steps....Get phone numbers from other women and use them.....Most important....Don't drink today....No matter what.