Notices

New and scared

Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and scared

So I woke up this morning and decided I really want to work on my drinking, I am young and its not just for fun "the party" I rely on alcohol on.. I depend on it and I can tell... when I dont drink I get irritable and shaky, anxiety.. It just really sucks. It was all fun at first but then I hated the hang over so I would have a few in the morning "hair of the dog" to make that hang over go away.. then it became an everyday thing. I am 22 years old and I am willing to try and cut back I just need some help.. does anyone know any remedies for at home to help with withdrawals? I have kept myself busy all day and still have not drank.. even my boyfriend had a beer in front of me and offered me one and I said no.. I just need some pointers. I know I have a problem..
so for now I am just trying to keep myself distracted.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleep, food, liquids. That helps withdrawal, if you are not having serious withdrawals. Gatorade and soup always helped me. The decision to cut back versus just stop is a bit trickier. Considering you are having withdrawals, does it make sense to consider the latter? Also, problems like this don't go away with moderation. They always get worse. Trust me on that.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

As you will read , We all recomend talking to a doctor for detox can be very dangerous.

I myself wound up in the ICU and ER before..

Good to have you, wise on decideding to something when your so young..
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm too new here to offer any tips, but want to say you'll find so much help here. I wish you the best.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By the way, that will make it difficult to get through withdrawals properly if you are being tempted to have more by a loved one. That only will make the next withdrawal worse. You might want to figure out what you are going to do and ensure you get support from your boyfriend if it is to withdraw and then stay away from it.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome... Im 50 days sober tomorrow so I am also new at this. I am 26 so I know how hard it can be especially at a young age. It tough when the whole social scene around you is revolved around drinking but it great that you are able to admit that you have a problem and willing to reach out to others. Support is the best thing you can have right now. In was fortnaute that my fiance is getting clean with me. You should have a talk with your boyfriend and loved ones about what you are trying to do. I am in an out patient rehab right now and I know that sounds horrifying (it was for me starting out) but it was the best thing I ever done. Being with other people like you makes you feel so much better and not alone. I also drank in the morning and daily and the shaking and anxiety were the worst! I have detoxed alone many times and also in a hospital. My drinking took a turn for the worst and my detoxing became very dangerous. I recommend you talk to your doctor they can help you get throguh the detox. The crappy feelings will pass soon and once you feel better you feel amazing and just don't go back. Cutting down (tried that many times) and I always ended up back in the position you are now. Really think about the kind of life you want to live. Go to AA meetings they also might seem foreign at first but once you go and meet people it is an awesome group of people that will embrace and help you! Good luck and stay strong! There is a way out of feeling liken this even if you don't see it yet. I wish you the best of luck and I am out here feeling for you as many are!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fitch

You'll find a lot of useful info here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

You'll find a lot of advice here too on staying stopped

D