Notices

Marijuana and Cigs Recovery

Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Marijuana and Cigs Recovery

9/22/12
Hello guys. My name is Don and I am new to sobering up.
I hope this topic doesn't offend others who say Marijuana is a good thing. I was abusing someone else's medication just to leave it short.
Yesterday was the day I got caught with my 1/8th of bud along with my piece and pack of cigs and tomorrow is my birthday.

I realized I'm not going to make it though college with smoking taking up most of my time. I smoked weed at least 5 times a day which is during school.
My cigs addiction went from one cig a day to at least 5 a day. So it is time to quit and I feel like **** on my first day of recovery.

I wanted to ask some of your guys opinions on this:

Will my life be different if I completely quit smoking for the rest of my life? Explain

Will I remain friends with my other friends who I smoked with a lot?

Will people see me differently because I quit smoking?

What are the benefits of sobering up on smoking?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I can only speak about alcohol, but yes, my life is completely different since I began recovery. And, if your friends are truly friends they will stick with you, but I had to remove a few people from my life who were tox to me. People might see you differently if you stop smoking marijuana, but I have found that it's pointless to care what others think about me. It's none of my business. The benefits of a sober life are endless. You will likely find getting through college much easier, which will help you to find a good job to take care of yourself. My self-esteem improved enormously. The benefits are endless.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kurdish - welcome

I was a pot smoker for 30 years or so, so I know the hold it can have on you.

I think everyone wants to know what their life will be like if they quit - the short answer is I don't know Kurdish - I can only tell you what mine was like

Will my life be different if I completely quit smoking for the rest of my life? Explain

My life was different for sure - like I said, I smoked pot and/or drank for 30 years. But it was a better different. There was a real weight off my back once I got clean and sober.
I was able to become the kind of person I wanted to be

I had to move out of my smoking and drinking 'circles'...but most of them were 'smoking/drinking buddies' anyway...our only connection was the weed or the booze.

My true friends understood what I was doing and why.

A lot of people did - even tho my smoking friends supported my decision, they tended to go do their own thing once I quit.

I found a lot of new friends tho - the thing about quitting is...I grew as a person..I don't think you can help that...making a major change to your life brings major changes.

I grew... and I naturally gravitated to people who liked and who were good for me

To many to list for me really...

there's the obvious health benefits...a lot of my old mates know have lung diseases for example...

There's also the benefits I mentioned before - being able to look myself in the face again, being proud of who I am and what I've become.

I've never regretted my choice - and I made it comparatively late in life.

You'll be really ahead of the game making it now Kurdish - good luck to you...keep posting and reading here

D
Old 09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

some links that might help Don

Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame

Detoxing from Marijuana - Marijuana Anonymous

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting

FOR CIGS:
WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource

D
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i never smoked pot but I can speak about ciggarettes. I smoked for almost 20 years. Before i quit i couldnt imagine life without them. I thought of them as a friend. i looked at non smokers with amazement, thinking "what do they DO if they dont smoke? How can anything be fun without them?

fast foward five years and I cannot believe I thought like that. even if they were suddenly not bad for you anymore, I woulnt want them. It was pure addiction speaking before.

Knowing that, having been there and now on the other side, well Its helping me have faith in quitting drinking. I know any desire to drink is just the addiction.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How old are you? I found that a lot of my friends who were potheads in high school and a little there after quit in college and/or in their 20s because it wasn't as socially acceptable, unfortunately, many of them turned to alcohol instead.

Your life will be better once you get over the hump of recovery and actually see how it feels to be sober and clear headed again.

As far as cigarettes, I quit smoking in January when I decided to sober up and I feel SO much better. I felt like I'd never be able to quit but when I got rid of my smoking trigger (which as alcohol...maybe it's being high for you) I was able to quit smoking.

Have you ever considered yoga and/or meditation?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
How old are you? I found that a lot of my friends who were potheads in high school and a little there after quit in college and/or in their 20s because it wasn't as socially acceptable, unfortunately, many of them turned to alcohol instead.

Your life will be better once you get over the hump of recovery and actually see how it feels to be sober and clear headed again.

As far as cigarettes, I quit smoking in January when I decided to sober up and I feel SO much better. I felt like I'd never be able to quit but when I got rid of my smoking trigger (which as alcohol...maybe it's being high for you) I was able to quit smoking.

Have you ever considered yoga and/or meditation?
I am planning to begin exercising efficiently. I am barely turning 18.

Also I first took a hit at the end of Freshman year. I smoked weed occasionally during high school, but I started abusing it last Aug to when I got caught by my parents (mentioned above). I smoked at least 5 times a week. When I got caught, I realized that I jumped from $10/g to $45/eigths. I know there is no physical harm behind this and the legal penalty is a minor with that amount. But I can see myself picking up oz-lbs in a couple years.

Cigs I got into at the end of Soph year. It used to be a cig once a week, then once a day now 5 a day and the numbers will increase. It's time to stop before it is too late.

I feel like **** and do not want to do anything but lay there miserable.

Isn't addiction wanting and abusing more?

Edit* I smoke cigs on a regular base and I do smoke cigs after a bowl
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I can only speak for myself, but my life has changed drastically for the better since I quit smoking weed and cigs and entered recovery. And "changed drastically for the better" is a huge understatement. I love music and I remember thinking that if I quit smoking pot I wouldn't like music as much. Since I got sober, not only do I still love music, I started playing the bass and that's something I never considered doing when I was using.

I have no problem being around people who use so if I wanted to be around it, I could. However, truth be told, I don't really care to be around it anymore. I suppose I could call up my dealer and hang out with him, but I hated hang out with him when I was using so I don't have any desire to do that. I only knew the guy cuz he hooked me up.

I'm much more respectful and friendly towards people since I quit. That being considered, I think people are incredibly more friendly towards me. I think people respect me far more as a sober person. When I was using, I just hid from people as best I could.

I have a life. My life is not based around the next time I get high or if I have weed or if there will be weed at wherever I'm going, etc, etc. I go out far more than I did when I was using. I have more friends. I have more money. I'm not pissed off and frustrated all the time. I mean