Notices

Recovery Without God/AA

Old 09-22-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again, guys, let's get back to the original topic.

Any personal comments should be kept to PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Try using willpower,trust me it works best.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Zee

To be fair Rossy, if we all had willpower, we wouldn't be alcoholics. I nearly drunk myself to the grave. I only stopped because I am too scared to die a slow painful death.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am a Christian and find alot of great info;some of the best in secular discussions. MIx and match if you need to!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
People cant seem to do things for themselfs anymore.
If I get sober.... And I tell you that I haven't had a drink in 4 years, and that I used my higher power (God) to help me... and since you say there is no God...then... did I not do that for myself?

There is no answer. Only questions.

God, no God, we can and do get sober.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I'm successful within AA, and my HP does not "keep" me sober. My HP is simply my internal spiritual solution to my alcoholism illness, as defined by AA. I stay sober for its own sake and reward. Since having an HP is a personal choice and understanding, being an atheist is not itself a stumbling block within AA. Having said that, there is amongst the membership plenty of misunderstandings of just how and what really constitutes a proper HP. These misunderstandings often create divisions within the fellowships of AA.

My HP is mine own, just for me, and not a universal supernatural deity or whatever shared amongst millions of others. I was agnostic when first working the AA program. I decided for myself to first find sobriety rather than find God. As the early years went on, I eventually became a Christian, and yet, my sobriety remains what it always was, uncomplicated by my Christian vows.

Like has been suggested, your personal beliefs or non-beliefs do not have to interfere with your successfully working and living the AA recovery program.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

IDK, I think that when one utters the word "God", it is assumed that it is a deity that is being evoked. Mine is not a deity... A deity as God would be far too limiting... and that sets God apart somehow.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
oak

I have used SMART, LifeRing, and Women for Sobriety meetings. There are also online forums for those programs. None of these programs mention god.

I also go to AA meetings where people have a broad sense of hp. But for me, there are a few things about AA that I find difficult or disagree with. I have been surprised at how different one AA group is compared to another, in terms of how much people talk about god, etc.

I hope you find what works for you. I know lots of people get sober without groups too.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Vick, it sounds like you found the 12 steps useful at least to some degree. While you investigate some of the other secular suggestions, you might want to check out the proactive 12 steps. You can google it, there is a free download of a little book.

I found it thought provoking and keep it in my recovery tool kit.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"Fully recovered"

Originally Posted by Vick23 View Post
I was fully recovered for about a year. I went to a outpatient rehab, did my 90 straight and after that attended 3-4 meetings a week and was actively involved in service work. About a week after picking up my blue chip and my problem mainly being drugs I thought I could have a few drinks...which eventually led me back to drugs. I'm a functioning addict, but I see myself slowly slipping back into where I was a couple years ago and I have to find some way to get myself clean again. My biggest problem with AA is I am a Atheist. I tried to fake until I make it, but the honest truth is, I do not believe in god or "higher powers" AA did a lot of great things for me in my year of recovery. I met some great people and enjoyed being a part of it, but I can't rely on God or some Higher Power to keep me sober, because I clearly do not believe in it. Does anyone have any other suggestions for sobriety for Atheists?
Vick,
Maybe you were not fully recovered? You thought you could have a few drinks....what do you think now? You stopped before, stop again....but don't fool yourself into believing you can have a few drinks. We are fully recovered as long as we don't drink and drug.

Please let us know how you're doing