Notices

Starting Day 2

Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Let me know how your sunset walk goes, if you take one, and also how the day went. My day has been pretty action-packed. I cycled about 35 miles, took my dog on a long walk, and am about to go to the store to get ready to watch college football and make street tacos. What a wonderful day to be alive!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Your day sounds like a great one! Thirty-five miles? My heavens! That was a ride and a half. WTG! Street tacos? What are those? Anything with the word tacos in it sounds delicious! I love your attitude!

I just got home a little while ago from going to my mom's and cooking dinner for them, then came home, cooked dinner for us. Now I'm feeling a little jittery, to be honest. But in only three hours, it will be too late to go to the liquor store. I think I need to take my keys with me when I get out for that walk and throw them in a gully somewhere. I'm joking, but really having some cravings at the moment. It's the weekend and by now I would have been buzzing already. But I'm not gonna do it. No way!

I think I'm going to head outside for a little while now and get some fresh air and sunshine! Thank you for the suggestion on the walks!

Enjoy your evening and thank you for asking!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Great advice all around

Welcome aboard Liz
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tacos Al Pastor

Originally Posted by Liz45 View Post
What are those? Anything with the word tacos in it sounds delicious!
Street tacos are what you get in a Mexican city like Mexico City at their street carts. Otherwise known as Tacos Al Pastor (shepherd's tacos). They are usually pork but I make them with sirloin steak. Basically you just marinate the meat, cook it in a skillet, then using corn torillas stuff each tortilla, fold it, and then cook it on each side in another skillet (no oil or anything) for a few minutes to make it a bit crispy. Then, you can squeeze lime onto it, add guacamole or salsa, cheese, etc. MMMMM! Here is just one recipe: Tacos al Pastor Recipe - CHOW

I grew up in Texas so consider myself pretty good at Tex-Mex. It is my comfort food. When I just want a good meal, I make Tex-Mex.

I know how the jitteries can feel. Work through them by staying busy. Drink Gatorade, tea, or anything mild. Going back to that stuff is NOT worth it. It will not make you happy or healthy. Trust me--gut this one out for a few more days, and you will start feeling much better. You CAN do it! And when we talk during your week 3, you will have to admit how much it was worth it.

Have a great evening.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can do it Liz, day 4 is around the corner!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bit late...but welcome Liz

Welcome to you too addikt

D
Old 09-22-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

IndaMiricale, Thank you for the warm welcome and I do have to agree with you about the advice here. I have met some wonderful people and gotten some great tips here. I appreciate your kind hello!

Dee, Thank you for your kind welcome!

Avra, Thank you for your support, too. I know you're on Day 3 also. How is it going for you? We can do this, my new friend!

Southerner, Thanks for the link to that recipe. I bookmarked it and if there's a chance of finding some of those ingredients I'm unsure of, I'll try it sometime. I love Mexican Cuisine. Tex-Mex sounds YUMMY! I love to cook, but only have made a few Mexican dishes. I have tried Chiles Rellenos a couple of times, but they always end up falling apart on me, so I fry the chile pieces and layer them in a casserole and top with the meat mixture and cheese. I'm hopeless with those. lol You'll have to share more of your recipes here sometime.

Thank you for the tip on the tea, too. I have been sipping on some peach mango green tea and it really does help to have something different on hand.

I'm happy to say that I made it through the hardest part of the evening and I'm feeling so much better. I did get out and walk some and we also took off to do some thrift shopping, just to do something a little different this evening. What a difference just getting out makes!

I cannot wait to get to that week 3 and be able to say.."Ah, it was nuthin'!" ... lol

Enjoy your game. I think my husband is possibly enjoying that same game tonight!

all for your support!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Liz, sadly I messed up and am back on day one. Super regret it, but am Ok tonite
Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Liz, I am so happy for the day you had. I can just tell you are getting some wind in your sails. That tea sounds like a great blend. I will have to look for that tomorrow at the grocery store. You can now make every day like today, except that each day the anxiety gets a bit more quiet, the jitters go away, and you can really focus on reorienting yourself. Make tomorrow just a little bit better than today, and then sail into a great new week!

Tacos al pastor were fantastic, and watching the ND/Michigan football game is fun too. I used to drink Guinness Extra Stout and watch all my ND games--I do not even miss that. I have been thoroughly enjoying mandarin orange sparkling water. For dessert, I have Southern Lemon Pie flavored frozen yogurt. Life is good.

Have a great evening, and let me know how your tomorrow morning looks.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Liz - I'm late to the party, too. Just want to say you should be proud for this life changing decision you've made. I waited until my 50's to stop, with horrible consequences. That won't happen to you Glad you're here with us.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The tea is pretty sweet, so just a small glass or two will do you, but it is tasty. I might have to try some of the mandarin orange sparkling water sometime, too. It might be a little milder. Southern Lemon Pie. Oh my! Drooling now.

I assumed by your name "Southerner" that you'd be watching the Clemson/Florida State game. I hope your team wins..good luck! Guinness, eh? I'll have to send you a video of our son in a Guinness beer can costume sometime. Long story!

I can't wait to report a happy morning to you! How long did you say you and your wife have been sober?

Enjoy your evening and the game!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hevyn, Thank you so much for your words of support! I'm glad to have finally made my mind up on quitting once and for all, though I wish I'd done it years ago. But we can't keep looking back.

I hope you're doing much better now! Thank you for the nice welcome!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Avra, I'm sorry to hear it, but I understand completely. I was on the verge today of losing it myself! You're back on track now and that's all that matters! I'm glad you're okay about it because there's no sense in kicking ourselves. We just keep on keepin' on!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liz45 View Post

I can't wait to report a happy morning to you! How long did you say you and your wife have been sober?

Enjoy your evening and the game!
Hi Liz,

Well, I started this past January and went all the way through most of August, so a little over a half year. Then, after a particularly difficult business meeting in Dallas, I got bumped up to first class on the way home and took them up on the offer of a drink...stupidly. Then a few more, and a few more. My wife, who had been pretty proud of how I just walked away from the stuff without complaint, was pretty upset when she picked me up at the airport, but it only took her a day or so to see that I was really committed to it but just had a slip. That, fortunately, was my last little binge.

We both now go to a therapist, who pointed out that nearly all people who walk away from it do have at least one slip. Since then, I just went back into that zone I was in for the first 6 months, exercising, eating right, focusing on my career, working on my marriage. It feels really nice to be going through it with somebody (I hid it from her for so long, as I am pretty functional unless I would drink a LOT).

She has had no problem at all quitting, as she never really had an issue. She is pretty tiny, so after a few glasses of wine she just gets sleepy. She does have a glass here and there if she is out with her female friends, but she does not drink in front of me, nor do we keep alcohol at the house.

So here I am cruising into October with some wind in my sails. I guess you just get to a point where you see what it does, and if you're lucky (like me) you figure it out before anything really catastrophic happens. My wife and I definitely are much happier, and I certainly am happy without it.

Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My goodness, one slip up in six months time is pretty amazing, I'd say! Congratulations!

I'm happy for your wife that she didn't have to struggle with quitting, yet supportive enough not to drink in front of you.

Here's to sailing into October! Amen!

Looking forward to tomorrow! Have a great night!