Notices

This is my 7th day of being sober!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my 7th day of being sober!

I got to sleep at around 12:30am and got just under 6 hours sleep. I didn't wake up looking at the clock once! For weeks, even when drinking (though not when totally drunk), I have woken up 2/3 times a night for a few minutes each time.

Really pleased about it (though 6 hours is rubbish, I normally sleep for 8-9)

I haven't done 7 days for a long time so feel really pleased with myself! And have lost just over 5lbs in weight.

The house is tidy, I feel like my face is less puffy, and I am more organised.

It's the weekend and everyone I know will be hitting their choice of drink tonight right through to Sunday - I am going to stay in and have a bath and paint and manicure my nails!

As for symptoms of being sober.. more energy, minor minor anxiety and a constant inward battle of whether I am an alcoholic or not BUT I do keep telling myself that anyone who suffers with hypoglycemia, who drink drives, who blacks out... is one!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant! Just brilliant Sugar - a nice post to read to start the day :>

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sugarfix

D
Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brilliant! Well done!

Its my 7th day as well!!

I can relate to a lot of what you have said. I used to wake a couple of times a night. It was usually just to go to the bathroom but I could never go back to sleep. I would just lay there thinking about stuff.

I have also been battling with my conscious whether I have a problem or not and I keep thinking that maybe I'm over-reacting. When I think back just only two weeks ago I realise that YES I had a big problem, sneeker by name sneeker by nature. I'd sneek the booze into the house, I'd sneekly drink the stuff and then I'd sneek the empties out!.

I have decided not to question what I am trying to do by being sober. I'm just going to keep it going for as long as I can. Its healthier for my body and mind and at the moment I feel my inner strength is growing.

Keep it going, you are doing great!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done sugarfix, really pleased for you x
Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Brilliant! Well done!

Its my 7th day as well!!

I can relate to a lot of what you have said. I used to wake a couple of times a night. It was usually just to go to the bathroom but I could never go back to sleep. I would just lay there thinking about stuff.

I have also been battling with my conscious whether I have a problem or not and I keep thinking that maybe I'm over-reacting. When I think back just only two weeks ago I realise that YES I had a big problem, sneeker by name sneeker by nature. I'd sneek the booze into the house, I'd sneekly drink the stuff and then I'd sneek the empties out!.

I have decided not to question what I am trying to do by being sober. I'm just going to keep it going for as long as I can. Its healthier for my body and mind and at the moment I feel my inner strength is growing.

Keep it going, you are doing great!

Yay well done on 7 days!

I started coming home in the afternoon, and having a can (my fridge has been fully stocked with cans of Beer since my friend moved in to stay with me for about 7 weeks whilst waiting to purchase a property)... the sun would be out, the garden would be tidy.. I'd have a can on the bench. Or maybe two!

I never had to sneak alcohol, I had nobody to hide it from. However, when my on/off boyfriend started work a few weeks ago.. he would come home from work... I remember being in the bath and he came home.. and I slid the can behind a large bottle of Shampoo! Did this a few times, or denied drinking to people.. when really I was sat with a glass of wine in my hand!

I also was drinking around 12 noon and carrying it on!

I am also just going to get on with it. The weight loss is a big incentive for me as I feel unhappy being this size. I am probably 1.5 stone overweight which isn't alot, am not obese but I feel it.

I am hoping that I start to sleep much better. I have so much more energy! Now to just pack the fags in!

If I am an alcoholic, so what? As long as I don't drink, I am a recovered one
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's wonderful. Congrats to you on your sober time
Old 09-20-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugarfix View Post
Yay well done on 7 days!

If I am an alcoholic, so what? As long as I don't drink, I am a recovered one
Exactly.

Don't get hung up about labels. We are what we are. I dont like the word alcoholic. I prefer to say I have a drink problem which I need to sort out. I suffer with depression and the drink does not help. I've realised since I have started reading this forum that depression and alcohol go hand in hand. I'm hoping that by giving up the booze my depression will get easier to deal with. Not sure whether it will but I'm going to give it a go.

Getting fit and losing weight is massive incentive for me. Instead of buying a six pack from the off license I'm going to build one on my stomach!!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Depression sucks. After I quit I sought help and am on Wellbutrin.

The best part for me about not drinking is SLEEPING!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Exactly.

Don't get hung up about labels. We are what we are. I dont like the word alcoholic. I prefer to say I have a drink problem which I need to sort out. I suffer with depression and the drink does not help. I've realised since I have started reading this forum that depression and alcohol go hand in hand. I'm hoping that by giving up the booze my depression will get easier to deal with. Not sure whether it will but I'm going to give it a go.

Getting fit and losing weight is massive incentive for me. Instead of buying a six pack from the off license I'm going to build one on my stomach!!
Agreed

That's what I want to do - get fit. The difference in my weight when sober is tremendous! That's a massive boost to helping me stay quit!

I don't understand how I have lost so much weight so quick though - as have been having sugar in my tea every morning whereas before I didnt!

Oh well! Size 8 for Christmas here I come!

My anxiety is absolutely non-existent when sober!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week Sugarfix!!....That first week is a big one....Do whatever you have to do for your recovery.....You don't have to do that first week again!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And have lost just over 5lbs in weight.

The house is tidy, I feel like my face is less puffy, and I am more organised.

It's the weekend and everyone I know will be hitting their choice of drink tonight right through to Sunday - I am going to stay in and have a bath and paint and manicure my nails!
Sugarfix,
It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're 'coherent'! Ha! I feel so much more in control. As for me, I figure I've saved about $50 or so this week in alcohol so I too plan on a little self pampering, retail therapy and possibly a massage.... WE DESERVE IT! Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am hoping that I start to sleep much better. I have so much more energy! Now to just pack the fags in!

Sugarfix!!! Thanks for the belly laugh! I read this line and was completely confused. Had to google what a 'fag' was and now I get it! In the U.S. the term is a bit different. So I guess I won't tell you that I'm from the "Lou" either! (A nickname for St. Louis, Missouri)
Ha! Have a good one!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nicely done

And think of it this way...

You are already halfway to a full fortnight of sobriety! When you think about it, a fortnight is halfway to a full month, and a full month is halfway to two.

So in a sense, each step is now very measurable and very achievable, and you are already halfway to wherever you want to be!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by las75 View Post
Sugarfix,
It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're 'coherent'! Ha! I feel so much more in control. As for me, I figure I've saved about $50 or so this week in alcohol so I too plan on a little self pampering, retail therapy and possibly a massage.... WE DESERVE IT! Keep up the good work everyone!
You're right! I am even remembering stuff! I feel like a completely different person!!

To wake up to a tidy home, with literally nothing to do is a shock to the system but it makes me feel great!

I did notice my hands aren't steady though - but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are shaky. Just unsteady!

Just popped out and feel a little bit sketchy and unsettled but have also not eaten anythign all morning which is probably the reason why that is

We do deserve it! Going to treat myself to some nice new Nails Inc nail polishes and a hair cut
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ps Whats a fag over there then??!

I mean cigarettes haha! But am not packing them in... I was eating like I was carrying twins last time I packed in!

One addiction at a time
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice work sugar, it'll keep getting better and better.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job Sugar! Glad you're feeling so good.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sugarfix and Sneeker - congratulations on week 1!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job sneeker and sugarfix!!!! keep it up.... one day at a time!!!!

FYI - I'm at day 51 today.... it DOES get easier!!

Fantastic job ..... isn't sober life great!?!?!