Notices

Four months clean

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four months clean

Hello all. I am nearly 4 months clean, and pretty happy about that. I still am struggling though. Every week I go to my therapist and he tells me to go to AA or I will eventually become more and more depressed. I say ok and I feel better accepting that I have to go to aa. So the next day I usually go to a meeting talk to some people and still cant get into it. Then I start feeling bad again. They say it is my disease wrestling with me. It is denial they say. I respect the program and the People, but I am sick of wrestling with this. I just want to move on with my life, but it seems when I try to my mind starts telling me you are going to keep feeling worse and worse until you slip up. Anyway I just had to vent. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congtrats on four months.....Maybe AA is not for you....Maybe it is. Here is a question for you.....Would you be open to finding someone with some time in AA that has had a spritual awakening as a result of the steps...To sponsor you and take you through the steps?...That is the program of recovery.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

do you just not enjoy the meetings? For me, I really liked hearing people tell what happened to them, how they got sober, and what their life was like now. It gave me a path to follow. But perhaps AA is not for you. However, sounds like your therapist is telling you to find some support system. Otherwise not drinking will be much harder for you.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sober for 15 years before a relapse and in truth never felt comfortable in meetings,I made some great friends ,one of which is still my best bud,my sponser went out after 20 and he was Mr AA ,still a friend but,im sorry The groups are too big,there are a huge group of people there because of DWU waitng there time,and a lot of egomaniacs,plus the idea the newcomer is the most important person is yeah right,not exactly foremost in most mind. Id like someone to tell me has AA changed over 20 years,the amount of people I know with time that have gone back out is staggering,I recommend more cognitive reading ,maybe some one on one therapy iff AA not doing it,best of luck to you
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Ttal))) - Congratulations on 4 months! I honestly don't remember where my thoughts were at 4 months, but I'm pretty sure I was still struggling, just a bit. SR has been "enough" for me, but some need more. There are all kinds of recovery programs...AA, SMART, AVRT, etc.

I had attended AA meetings in the past, and I still use what I learned there. The hardest thing for me, was to accept that I was an addict. Once I did that, I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

I still have some hard times, but I know that using isn't an option. I've had 2 doctors (one left the practice) for my 5-1/2 years in recovery and finally agreed that yeah, I need an anti-depressant.

I'm not saying you do. I'm just saying that having a dr. who knows my past has been invaluable.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you consider other recovery programs, too. There are many of us here who have recovered using various methods. I did need to take action in early recovery and for me, it was getting involved in volunteer work. Try to do what feels right for you and what works for you. And, as Least said, it could be possible that talking to your dr about antidepressants would be helpful.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 months Ttal.
Have you looked for any alternatives to AA yet?

D
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and gals. Yeah i checked out Smart. Seems very cool. I wish they had meetings in my area. I know they have them online, but I dont find it to be he same.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's too bad Ttal.

You could always ask on the online site if anyone else near you is interested in starting a SMART meeting?

D
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just wanted to offer you some encouragement.....four months is terrific!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful job on your 4 months clean! I felt like it was a struggle for the first months I was sober, but finally that uncertain feeling ended. I hope you'll get more comfortable and less anxious as time goes on.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nice one!!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on 4 months Ttal, hope you're able to find a recovery method/program that works for you!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ttal Grats on 4 months! I am one day behind you. Feel free to join in the class of may thread. I agree there are many people doing sobriety by many different methods but i also have heard aaers say to try different meetings with different people. I try to focus on a bigger picture of health consciousness and it gives me happier outlook that I'm treating my body right and living my life healthy. So give yourself credit for what you are achieving.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Congratulations on nearing 4 months. I'm just about there too. AA is not for everyone. Find out what works for you and keeps you sober.