Notices

Today is the day

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the day

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have been hesitant to admit it, but I am an alcoholic. Not your every day drinker, more of a binger, and I usually binge to the point of passing out. The people around me have been able to see the intensity of my situation for much longer that I have. I really thought I could control myself, but after yesterday, I know that I cannot. I am powerless to alcohol. It sucks me in and I can't get out of its grips once I have the first drink. I recently had a health scare that I thought gave me some perspective, but I was terribly wrong. I did manage to quit smoking 2 weeks ago because of the health scare, but the drinking found its way back in. It all started with 2 beers on Saturday. Then two beers on Monday. Then the insanity of my yesterday.

So, today is the day. I have to start loving myself enough to do the right thing and take care of myself. I can't change the past, but I can change the future.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

I also am a alcoholic. I was a binge drinker but I binged everyday one drink after another..

I glad to read you feel like your powerless over alcohol great start in the recovery process. I hope you call your local AA and give it a shot.. You have great AA in Texas.

Again glad your here and keep reading and posting.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I had great determination to moderate and control my drinking too, but it continued to worsen.

I'm really glad you have decided to stop drinking. There is lots of support here and information on different ways to stop and recover.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Today can be the start of a wonderful new life free of the poison of alcohol.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It does not matter what your drinking patterns are. My favorite definition is, "Continuing to drink despite repeated negative consequences."

AA literally saved my life and if you let it you can return to Sanity and health. Pretty easy, just find an AA meeting. Meetings are everywhere just get on the net to find one. In the first part of the meeting they will ask if anyone has never been to a meeting before. Let them know you have not and that you are looking for help. That is all there is too it.

If you are like me you will meet a bunch of people that are just like yourself.

You can beat alcoholism with the help of others
Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, just help me. I, too, recommend AA. Good for you for recognizing you have a problem. That's the first step, and it's a hard one. Denial is a powerful place and I lived there for a long time.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome justhelpme - you'll find a lot of support here.
what's your plan?

D
Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Got the hardest part out of the way

You handled the hard part well in your post, which is acknowledging that you can no longer achieve what you want with this problematic element in your life. So now that's out of the way. The rest of it is just living that realization every moment of your life. Easy in concept, hard at times, but very do-able. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome justhelpme!

I tried to manage my drinking for years, too. I just could never convince myself to be satisfied after a few drinks. All I could think of was having "just one more."

Glad you're here - this place helped me turn my life around.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
It does not matter what your drinking patterns are. My favorite definition is, "Continuing to drink despite repeated negative consequences."

AA literally saved my life and if you let it you can return to Sanity and health. Pretty easy, just find an AA meeting. Meetings are everywhere just get on the net to find one. In the first part of the meeting they will ask if anyone has never been to a meeting before. Let them know you have not and that you are looking for help. That is all there is too it.

If you are like me you will meet a bunch of people that are just like yourself.

You can beat alcoholism with the help of others
This is what I did.....As a matter of fact...I didn't say anything my first couple meetings....And the first meeting I spoke....I said my name....That I'm an alcoholic....And I need help....I got it and then some. And that was all there was too it. Great post MIRecovery!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here "justhelpme",

Ditto to all the above! I also go to AA meetings and feel as if I truly belong. I didn't know I had so many "kindred spirits"!

Keep coming back! You are now a part of our family!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome

I could have written your post six months ago. I know how tough it is to come to that realisation, but what is brilliant is that you're here now, and you know what you have to do. Quitting alcohol was the best thing I ever did, and now I'm feeling SO many benefits - it is so worth it. You can do it! Believe in yourself - that's the most important thing, I think.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around the boards. This place is full of wonderful people who are more than willing to share and advise. Post as much as you like - it really does help.

All the best to you.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found an AA meeting that starts in about an hour. I am terrified, but determined to go. Day 2 is going to be a great day.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You'll be fine....You'll meet some great people there...People like you.....Just go and listen.....If you want to...You can say you are new....But that is up to you.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And have a great day...Be sure and let us know how you liked the meeting.....I loved mine.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck and well done for going to the meeting
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One of the side benefits of AA is that Sober Alcoholics are fun people. They knew how to have fun drunk and they definitely know have fun sober. As a group I have never met a nicer and more caring group of people in my life. Young old, rich poor, black white, gay straight, male female, Christian Muslim all mixed together in one big happy family. It never ceases to amaze me how such a diverse group of people could become such close friends
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I too was a binger.. only drank 3 days a week but boy did I sure drink alot during those 3 days (in a row). I messed up A LOT and after losing an engagement, It still took me another 3 years to see it. I am 3.5 months sober now. You can do this. You really can.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcomes. Much support here. You can do AA or other plans. Depends on your choice. Just so glad you decided to visit and get help!