Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I used to feel sorry for myself because ______ but now I'm grateful because _______.

Notices

I used to feel sorry for myself because ______ but now I'm grateful because _______.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was thinking how much self pity has, (and still does) drag down my progress at times. And I was also thinking how the mindset of "poor me" is such a dangerous place for someone who is addicted.... There are so many pity parties I throw, lol, but I will start with one.

I used to feel sorry for myself because I am practically the only adult I know who doesn't drink....

But now, I am grateful that: I am the one who is not dulling down my experience of life with alcohol.... Because now I know if I am happy or unhappy with a situation, and can act to change it! Not numb it!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because my daughter's health problems require my time and attention....but now I'm grateful for the time and attention I receive from my lovely daughter
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because of being unexpectedly divorced... But now I am grateful because it has brought my daughter and I much closer than we would have been.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself cause taking care of my grandma is a big job, now I am grateful for the time we get to spend together and that she is still here. I am blessed
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to feel sorry for myself cause I felt like an alcoholic loser but now I'm grateful that I no longer drink.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm..
I have a bunch of these....
I used to feel sorry for myself bc of the circumstances surrounding my divorce. Now I am grateful because I am still young and pretty and I can meet someone new.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

used to feel sorry for myself that I went through a divorce after 21 years.....but am now grateful to have been married to my best friend for 8 years
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because I blamed everyone else for my problems. But now I'm grateful because I was able to take responsibility, and my life is, slowly, getting better.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I use to feel sorry for myself because I thought I was a drunken sap with no willpower. But now I am grateful that with my understanding of the disease of addiction I realized I'm still a good person, just needed the right tools to quit and stay connected to those tools, the support I need for long term sobriety.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because I became a young widow after my husband died from suicide..Now I feel grateful that my life experiences have made me a stronger, more knowledgeable and compassionate person.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is basic, but, I used to feel sorry for myself because I had to become a non drinker, but now I am SO grateful my life does not totally revolve around something so poisonous, stupid and time wasting as drinking.

Yesterday at lunch at work, some people started talking about how they all went out last Friday and drank. They were talking about pumpkin ale and blueberry ale, and I was so bored. ("I thought, really? This is so stupid. Man does this dumb down your conversation!")
Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself, because I was alone, but the truth was: I was alone so much because I didn't want anyone to see how much I drank.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself, because I had no help and too much responsibility.
Today, instead, I am grateful because I took a risk and asked for help, and got it.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a 100 I guess I am am alive and sobber Semper Fi
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because of all the darkness and horrible things I put myself and others through, but now I'm grateful because I've found the light. A light that only those who go through extremely rough times and come out the other side can identify with.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because I thought I could never live up to everyone else's expectations and hid from them in a bottle, a pill, or a powder. Now I am grateful because I have the confidence that I can live up to the expectations I have for myself.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to feel sorry for myself cause I felt like an alcoholic loser but now I'm grateful that I no longer drink.
This. I'm in all other ways an awesome, blessed, person, but my self esteem and confidence was weighed down by the 12 pack of beer I lugged home every day. Even more than the physical effects of quitting, nothing is as satisfying as being freed of that guilt.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because I was a miserable drunk who always saw the glass (no pun intended!) as being half-empty. Now I can truly stop and be grateful for everything....even if life "throws" me a curveball, there is ALWAYS a lesson to take from it
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because I did not want to do things for others but now I am grateful that I can help others with time I now have because I am not drinking.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to feel sorry for myself because of my abusive childhood. Now I'm grateful to my chosen program of recovery and to the great people in my life who help me work through it. And I'm grateful to be able to tell right away if someone is good for me or not.