Notices

Company Christmas party

Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Company Christmas party

Yes, I am thinking about this already!

The problem is, we are the employers, so i can't skip it, and the party is going to be at our home. (This is a cost cutting thing, because dinner and drinks for 18 people at a nice restaurant is very expensive.)

Most of our employees drink and some quite heavily. I am already dreading the whole thing... There is going to be a ton of booze because there is just no other way to do it with this crowd. We have hard-to-recruit employees and we need to keep everyone happy.

How does everyone else deal with holiday parties?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ask again when you are sober longer...projecting is not helpful for your early sobriety sheeshe! it's SEPTEMBER 18!!!! get a grip.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Fandy that was kind of mean. Pretty...don't obsess. Come up with a plan. One that would work in any public situation.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They don't even have the Christmas decorations up at the department stores lol!

Seriously though, maybe you could hire someone to handle the bar and just bail on the party early. Get a hotel, or see a movie. If you need to not be there, don't be there.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As a caterer and newly sober alkie, I would like to say that you have many party tossing options. First and foremost, y'all are the hosts and the employer. Even at the height of my drinking career, I would never have gone to a company party and got stupid drunk. Hopefully your employees are half as smart as I was (and I'm guessing they are much smarter ) As hosts, you have a legal responsibility to monitor the consumption of your guests - Dram Shop laws are in place for reasons. As a caterer, there are formulas for figuring how much alcohol to provide for dinner parties. It is a lovely gesture to give your employees a holiday party. A limited amount of alcohol, along with non alcoholic beverages, coffee and tea will show your party throwing savvy and you will be known as a delightful, thoughtful hostess. Protect yourself, your guests, your business and your sobriety. It can be a great and memorable evening given some thoughtful planning. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Many business no longer have alcohol at their Christmas parties because of the liability factor. If someone left your party with a blood alcohol reading above the legal limit and caused an accident, you could be held liable. It's something to think about.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Is it difficult for your sobriety to have it in your home? Are there some other venues, where you could bring in food, but still feel like your home is a safe zone? In my community there are very nice rooms in some civic centers, churches (and they do allow alcohol) etc. If you feel you must have it in your home, maybe consider a signature drink, as opposed to an open bar to ....preferably a drink you don't like! Another consideration is time of day....maybe a nice luncheon instead of dinner. Another thought would be thinking of a day of the week that "limits' drinking....a work night ....and including a start / finish time, in the invitation. These are just some ideas off the top of my head.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I also like the idea of having the party on a weeknight, so as to curb the drinking. Letting everyone know they will be expected to show up at work the following morning might be a nice incentive.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been there, done that... We had our employee Christmas party at our house for all the same reasons... I got sober in September and was still pretty raw by Christmas. Also, we had my wife's family Christmas party at the house also... Lot's of booze, all that.

I did it because I had to. I survived.

I was committed to staying sober and was not going to drink no matter what. It is now a distant memory. It will be for you too.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fandy, if you were trying to make me feel stupid, it worked.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the genuine suggestions.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

pretty, have you checked out having the party at hotel banquet room? probably less expensive? I don't know, I havent done this in years. But, it wouldn't be at your house, you could leave if necessary.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are not stupid. I've already made the arrangements for our staff holiday luncheon....so you are not alone
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

pretty, I don't think you're stupid. now is the time plan those holiday parties. Good places get taken, best staff gets hired, best caterers get booked. I think it's best be plan the party in plenty of time so you can relax and enjoy. And make plans to maintain your sobriety is very wise!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Totally understand the planning stuff pretty, I get so wound up over those kinds of plans and the nervous anticipation. I wish you well, Im sure it will go over great and remember it will probably be only like 4-5 hrs max. Definitely plans some safety nets for yourself and some escape routes or excuses such as "I gotta go to the store, I completely forgot something" and just get outta there for awhile.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, if I am going to try and book it somewhere else I have to start thinking about it. I only have a few options where we live. I think the hardest part for me is I don't know if I want it in my home where I can't just leave, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to and it is so much easier to control the costs this way.

None of our guys will get drunk, people will just be drrinking a lot and having a lot of fun I'm sure. I've been to these things pregnant and sober several times, and I just find it so hard to relax and have a good time without alcohol in groups like this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to think of reasons to drink, I'm just trying to avoid the stumbling blocks.

Anyway, I wished I lived in a world where end of September to Christmas didn't fly by. It always does for me.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The other thing... You know, you have more control than you think you do, and... LOL... It is possible that they drink less than you think they do... You know, I used to think I wasn't all that heavier a drinker than others.. Boy was I surprised... Most guests had one or two and that was it... And, it didn't seem quite as important to them as I thought it was... Again, I had only myself as a gauge, I mean, it was important to ME!!

Make the emphasis on the food. And if the boss (you) isn't leading the charge and calling the shots (pun intended) you may be in for a happy surprise... And if it gets out of hand...

The Bar Is Closed!!

I think you may find it easier than you think, though renew your commitment to recovery and maybe have a confidant there with you.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Pretty, I think it's a really good idea to start thinking about it now. I have been obsessing over our bar closing party since summer. It's a tiny local place that is like our family room and they're closing the doors for good soon. There will be tons of drinking, and it's a huge trigger. I have thought of how I'll handle it so many times that now that it's getting closer I realize I've decided not to drink at it. This is a complete turn around from a month ago when I was giving myself permission in advance to slip. Sometimes you just have to anticipate and answer your AV enough times to come around to the healthiest answer and in my case it took time.

People have given some great suggestions. I would add making a really festive looking no alcohol punch that you can drink and maybe add in some activities to the party to take the main focus off of drinking. Maybe have some funny holiday movies on, or do a holiday pictionary game, or scavenger hunt to get them out of the house lol
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Can you host it at your office? Your insurance may cover the liability if you serve alcohol there. It's worth looking into...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I understand the need to get these things planned early. It is another huge task that you must schedule and get worked into everything else you are expected to do between now and then. I also think it is wise to give plenty of consideration and planning to how you are going to make it through this sober! Good for you for thinking about that!

I don't know your group but maybe your not drinking will not be much of a big deal to anyone. I know my last boss did not drink. Most never asked why and assumed he was just being a responsible host/boss. There is that liability thing so it seemed smart of him to provide a good example. Only later when my brother passed from liver disease did my boss share with me that he was a recovering alcoholic. It wasn't that he was "ashamed" of it, it was just that most people never asked, thought about it, or knew.

If they do ask then maybe you'll be more comfortable explaining it by then. No reason for that to put a damper on other folks having fun. On the other hand, maybe it will be a good example to any others that may be wondering about their own "condition" if they have one. You could be that person for them.....Very Cool.

As a final thought, let us not forget the true meaning of a Christmas and the holiday season. There is a lot more to it than just time off and drinking! Let me be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas!

: