Notices

What was that first truly pleasurable experience?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was that first truly pleasurable experience?

I alluded to this in an earlier post, but I am curious to hear what other folks can recall about the first really pleasurable thing after claiming total sobriety that you did. You know, that thing you did, or that meal you cooked (or just ate) that made you so happy and also made you juxtapose it with the messed up "pleasure" you used to get from drinking?

I can recall several (a moment while cycling particularly well, driving and listening to a song and realizing that if an officer were behind me I didn't care, etc.). But actually, I can think of a really sweet pizza I ate at a local place. Double pepperoni, thin crust, with a root beer. While digging into it all by myself (with my favorite wine bar just across the street that went unvisited), it was the most delightful sensory experience, but emotionally it was so healing. The pizza tasted beyond compare (and I knew I would not throw it up later that night!), and honestly, when does any glass of wine compare to a cold root beer?

Just wondering. Those are special moments that we should all remember to keep us focused on what is TRULY pleasurable...

Please share if you care to!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was on the way to work the other day, had a CD going and it just blew me away, I had heard the song a hundred times but it really came through on that day. I used to get high and listen to music and it would be amazing and fun, when I was sober I could never reach that same level and it would be disappointing. I've noticed recently that music sounds a lot better, I get chills again from songs and get flooded with emotion in ways that I thought I could only experience when high.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Waking up in bed on a saturday morning without the sweats about three weeks in .. so snuggly ans warm , no damp bedclothes or sheets , no sandpaper tounge or red dry eyes ... just so giggley nice .

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just got back from my first booze free vacation in the Caribbean, amazing how much fun there is when not hung over, watching wife roll her eyes all day, etc. Had a great time... everything was better, the dinners, the beach, alone time with the wife... Etc
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good sleep. And waking up feeling good.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just went and had something to eat with some people from my meeting. We had a laugh. I didn't know any of them very well and yet we just had a great chat. It was only when I was leaving, I realised that I'd had fun alcohol free. When drinking, I just want to be alone. Loved tonight. Gives me hope for the future.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
realizing that if an officer were behind me I didn't care
I experienced that, too. I meant to write about it here on SR and never did. It's amazing how something that simple can bring so much pride and happiness. Driving down the road and realizing that I don't have to care that there's an officer behind me is such a relief. The other thing that I experienced was not having to worry about lying. My SO always gets suspicious if I'm even 5 minutes later than she thinks I should be getting back from the store, getting home from the airport, etc. When I'm late now I still get that horrible thought in my head like "what should I tell her? traffic was bad? the lines were long? I was on the phone and didn't want to drive and talk?" and then I realize that I don't have to say a thing. I don't need an excuse. I'm late because I'm late. and it's the truth!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You may be sorry you asked, but here goes:

Waking up in the morning without a hangover and having a real, healthy, man-sized bowel movement.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Realizing that I honestly had friends, real friends
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Not coming to just to vomit anymore.. Then everything after that just was mind blowinging good..
Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What Mecanix said... every night and morning since the night sweats stopped has been bliss.

There's been lots of happy moments... tonight I went to see a band with a friend... just popping out to meet people and enjoy some music and it not be about booze. I don't have to worry about being hungover for work tomorrow, or have to do the obligatory drinking before I go out and when I get back in. Time is just normal now and I can do stuff rather than having time when I can drink and time when I can't.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
I experienced that, too. I meant to write about it here on SR and never did. It's amazing how something that simple can bring so much pride and happiness. Driving down the road and realizing that I don't have to care that there's an officer behind me is such a relief. The other thing that I experienced was not having to worry about lying. My SO always gets suspicious if I'm even 5 minutes later than she thinks I should be getting back from the store, getting home from the airport, etc. When I'm late now I still get that horrible thought in my head like "what should I tell her? traffic was bad? the lines were long? I was on the phone and didn't want to drive and talk?" and then I realize that I don't have to say a thing. I don't need an excuse. I'm late because I'm late. and it's the truth!
I guess the truth really does set us free?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't go through a Pink Cloud time - too many messes to deal with, but I vividly remember the very first morning making whole wheat toast with honey for breakfast and thinking it was the most delicious thing I had ever eaten.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

An early morning run. I was heading home on the final stretch coming down a hill facing the sunrise. It just felt great. What a way to start the day. What a healthy contrast to the hungover, life-draining mornings caused by drinking. I literally smiled and raised both arms as the warm sun beamed down on me.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Happier View Post
An early morning run. I was heading home on the final stretch coming down a hill facing the sunrise. It just felt great. What a way to start the day. What a healthy contrast to the hungover, life-draining mornings caused by drinking. I literally smiled and raised both arms as the warm sun beamed down on me.
I am with you on the pure moments of insight during exercise. After a really strenuous workout, it is rewarding to think what it would be like before--would be laying around avoiding movement! My physician speculates that my lessening cravings as I pick up my cycling are due to the body getting its rush of the natural endorphins released during exercise. So who needs alcohol when you can make your own happiness?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So true. I cycle as well. I can start a ride or a jog in the worst of moods but am always smiling and feeling at peace when I return. Great time to get my thinking done and out of my head too. Just really lines up with my entire healthier, sober lifestyle!
It is such a blessing to me because I either couldn't do it or I would get hurt trying to do it back when I was drinking. Makes me grateful to be able to now.

Happy riding.