Notices

Drunken conversations

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunken conversations

Bah, I'm just having a difficult time with someone who binges. This can be true for anyone, but drunken conversations really scare and bother me, it's like they open up and can say ANYTHING. These confessions, truths and accusations leave a really bad taste in my mouth, I get anxious, I think about it a lot and it just really puts a damper on my mood.

How do you deal with the things friends and family have said when drunk? You can always say that "they didn't mean it, they weren't themselves." But how can you just throw that excuse over it all the time? When something really hurtful or nasty comes to the surface you can't help but think, "Jeez, they really meant that but just didn't have the guts to say it sober..."
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I end up avoiding those people when they drink. Chances are they won't remember whether I was there or not anyway lol
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't like having anyone like me around when they're drunk, cause I know how I talked when I drank. On the other hand, if they want to talk about quitting when they've sobered up some, then I'm more than willing
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It disturbs me also!

My boyfriend lay in bed one night extremely drunk shouting 'God what have I done' and 'God where are you' and was really freaking out, in his conversation with God!

I lay there thinking... just wait until the morning and am sending you home pal!

I also know I am the same

But I really did go through lots of emotions when drunk and would talk rubbish!! *cringe*
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't speak with anyone who's intoxicated. Actually.. I don't have anyone in my life who gets intoxicated, I cleaned that up a long time ago.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tend to leave early and go to bed, to avoid drunken ranting and rubbish.

I do 'call' people on it though if they upset me and can't remember....the same people who used to take GREAT delight in doing it to me..

If someone drunk texts me, I ignore it at the time, but the next day they will get a knowing stare from me that states I am not happy about it.

If someone drunk dials me, I answer, state that I don't like talking to intoxicated people and end the conversation. If they continue dialing I turn my phone off.

A lot of my experiences with other drunks is in the workplace - my colleagues!!! And I don't work in that type of industry either.

I have very mixed feelings about it. Anger as some behaviours are down right rude and disrepectful towrds women/men. Pity - as I think there are some who don't realise how bad their drinking is.
Empathy - been there and done it myself.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having those conversations (as in, being the drunk one who was talking) is one of the things that lead to me deciding to stop drinking. Not only did I say things better left unsaid, but I didn't recall saying them in the morning. It remains a source of pain for me. I'm lucky that my boyfriend is so forgiving and strong, and doesn't hold it against me.