Notices

Something inspirational I read today

Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something inspirational I read today

The following was actually my horoscope for the week but I think we can all relate to it so I'm sharing it with you...

How did we ever cope without the internet? How did we manage without mobiles? All those calls that we were obliged to miss, all those messages that we simply couldn't get. No wonder we were all so unhappy back then. We weren't unhappy? The world was still a perfectly pleasant place to live in, even before the advent of Facebook and Twitter? Indeed! And as you now contemplate the possible loss of something you have grown used to having, consider the possibility that it may be no great hardship at all.

Don't worry about what seems to be ending; consider what is beginning. You are moving away from an arrangement or an agreement that has been unsatisfactory for some while, even though it has provided a degree of superficial stability. Now there is uncertainty and a sense of tension. But this is helping you get closer to a much brighter and more helpful possibility; an understanding that goes very deep and proves most fulfilling. Forget how things were and don't be afraid of how things may soon change.

Hope this helps someone today!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sneeker
Don't worry about what seems to be ending; consider what is beginning. You are moving away from an arrangement or an agreement that has been unsatisfactory for some while, even though it has provided a degree of superficial stability. Now there is uncertainty and a sense of tension. But this is helping you get closer to a much brighter and more helpful possibility; an understanding that goes very deep and proves most fulfilling. Forget how things were and don't be afraid of how things may soon change.
Spooky but apt x
Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love it, thanks. How are you feeling?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Spooky but apt x
Extremely spooky!

Imagine how I felt reading my horoscope! I thought the cosmos was talking directly to me!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Love it, thanks. How are you feeling?
I feeling fine with regards to the drinking. I've really got my head round it and so far so good.

Today is the first time since going sober that I have felt a little down. Not sure why, maybe the euphoria of giving up the booze has started to subside a little.

One step at a time though. Apart from the alcohol I do suffer with depression so I cant expect miracles to happen in just a week. I'm hoping as time goes by I will gain enough confidence from sobriety to tackle my other issues.

Where I am today, is a million times better than where I was two weeks ago. I feel committed to my recovery and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just need to keep on the track!

Thanks for thinking of me.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sneeker
Today is the first time since going sober that I have felt a little down. Not sure why, maybe the euphoria of giving up the booze has started to subside a little.
I had a lot of ups and downs in early recovery Sneeker... I felt like I had to spend more time trying to manage my moods (anger/depression) than trying to not drink. I kind of had to 'tackle' it all at once. Not dramatically, I still haven't been able to speak to my doctor about depression issues, but I have tried practising mindfulness to stop those downward spiral thoughts because it's easy to get stuck down there. Even simple things like listening to happier music, doing nice things that you know will enjoy (not drinking ) can help.

Glad you're doing well Keep us updated x
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I had a lot of ups and downs in early recovery Sneeker... I felt like I had to spend more time trying to manage my moods (anger/depression) than trying to not drink. I kind of had to 'tackle' it all at once. Not dramatically, I still haven't been able to speak to my doctor about depression issues, but I have tried practising mindfulness to stop those downward spiral thoughts because it's easy to get stuck down there. Even simple things like listening to happier music, doing nice things that you know will enjoy (not drinking ) can help.

Glad you're doing well Keep us updated x
With regards to depression and mood swings I was wondering if there are any good self help books that people recommend? I dont want anything to scientific just something upbeat and easy to read. I once read 'feel the fear and do it anyway' by Susan Jeffers and I felt this helped me and I loved the book. A lot of what I'm going through at the moment will require me to re-train my brain quite a bit. I have thought about getting some help such as some one to one NLP or CBT but to be honest I just cant afford the sessions. Some people are charging £60 an hour which is just way to much. I thought a book might be a cheaper option and although its wont be the same as a proper session it might just help.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok....at the risk of sounding like a 60's nightclub slimeball....what's your sign?

Just curious
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulgypsy View Post
Ok....at the risk of sounding like a 60's nightclub slimeball....what's your sign?

Just curious
Cancer.

I'm a sucker for horoscopes! Some of the ones I read seem to be very accurate! Not sure whether reading them is a good or bad thing to be honest? 99% of the time they are positive but on occasion they may predict you are going to have a bad and that cant be good eh.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, I don't know about that. I figure if I have a head's up that something might go down wrong I can change it--or at least brace myself

I don't know that much about horoscopes, but I do read mine and enjoy the mental process of figuring out how it fits my life or current situation. I'm a Sag, but I really enjoyed your horoscope for this week--very encouraging.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Even spookier, I'm Cancerian too

I have a massive pile of self help books now, though I wasn't a big fan before now... a lot of self helps I find are more 'motivational' rather than actually helpful. But I've never come across a CBT book which looked bad. Anything on mindfulness or CBT I'm a big fan of because they tend to offer practical help rather than just trying to talk you out of feeling depressed Just browse around and see what you like the look of x