Notices

Cigarettes = Zero Appetite

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Cigarettes = Zero Appetite

Long story short I got sober september last year and relapsed this year in june and im 9 days sober woohoo go me (sarcasm). Last time I got sober I took up smoking too and it really helped me. Problem is now I have zero appetite but I really dont want to give up the cigarettes! Havent eaten all day and im not starving, my tummy is saying yeah something please but I have no idea what to give it lol. Oh dear feels like a dilemma. Has anyone had this issue and found ways to get food into them?!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of someone taking up smoking to help them get sober but hey ho, whatever works. How was your appetite when you quit last time? People seem to go one way or the other. I ate a lot of soup early on. It's like food but not

Well done on 9 days and I love your signature line! x
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

I know its probably strange but it works for me. Soup sounds good. Glad you like it :-)
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, liz, I actually had to quit smoking with drinking because each habit fuels the other.
In the past, when I have tried to quit drinking without smoking, I found I was using the cigs to replace the beer which only led back to the beer. I'm on day four without either and I can feel my lungs clearing. It's yucky because of the tar taste but I can't wait til it really clears so I can taste some food again.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit for 5 days up until last night, I smoked one before bed as I'd ran out of patches. I have a good appetite when I don't smoke.

I definitely agree with cigarettes and alcohol going hand in hand too.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you don't mind but I won't be recommending this method Liz...

Smoking was always a major appetite suppressant for me.
If you can't quit, maybe try cutting down Liz?

D
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a sandwich, and don't smoke anymore. You think quitting booze is hard? where is the emote for facepalming. . .
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Liz, I did exactly the same thing. I used to have a cigarette instead of a drink. Now to try and kick the cigarette's everytime I want one I get on the exercise bike for five minutes (I hate that machine :uzi2:!)
Works for me!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

I never smoked when I drank so I guess maybe that's why it's different for me. Ive already lost 1.5kg in less than a few days and im only now 51kg at 5'4. I didn't have this problem last time. I started medication a few months ago but had to go off it because I was starving all the time (apparently a common side affect) and the ones im on now don't have that effect, but their working so thats a plus! I have issues with food anyway, not eating disorder i just hate food, I wish there was a drink (not alco) I could just have instead of eating, it doesnt interest me at the best of times. Gah!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Liz,

oatmeal is always good, maybe with honey? Toast. Bananas, yogurt. Baked yams. Rice with sugar, butter and cream. I liked poached eggs with toast...egg soldiers! These things are always comfort food for me and easy on the tummy.

Hope this helps. Love from Lenina
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Liz,

Do you have anything like Ensure? it's a high calorie drink. it comes in many flavors, my mom liked it blended with ice like an ice cream soda. some of the flavors here are strawberry, chocolate, vanilla (not good to my taste) banana, egg nog...and more.

you can make a drink in the blender with milk, raw eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add some nutmeg or cinnamon. I like it. you can add fruits too. Frozen ones work well, berries and such, bananas, papaya. Try these. they always felt good on my tummy.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Yes I could probably do oatmeal...think its called porridge here. A banana would be good. I took one with me today with the intention of forcing myself to eat it at some stage but my son ended up wanting it instead of all the other yummy food id packed! No way I could face eggs! Thanks everyone x
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Yeah we have ensure...pretty sure that's what they use in the nursing homes here for the oldies. Yes brilliant a blended drink, I should of thought of that, sounds like exactly what i need (but a fruit bases ones), I put raw eggs in my kids milkshakes, I could not stomach that though. A fruit smoothie sounds perfect thank you ill go to the shops in the morning and get some fruit to blend :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

oatmeal is Rolled Oats Liz...

D
Old 09-19-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

oh ok thanks D, sounds nice and boring which is perfect for me lol. I know I could add some flavour but its just not do able right now
Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love Wheatabix! I am very partial to maltomeal. It's a wheat based porridge. Cream of wheat, cream of rice. you might check out baby cereals. add some honey. Do you have a juicer? you might juice up some carrots and such. I love carrot juice! Beetroot with carrot and apple is very tasty. You can get some good juicing recipes on line.

Love from Lenina
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Liz

I'm so glad you've stopped the booze but really don't think taking up smoking is a good idea!

I quit on the 1st of August this year and I'm still on the strongest patches and find that it can still be difficult at times... I actually liked the fact it suppressed my appetite - I smoked instead of eating many, many times... giving up was very difficult and this is my fourth attempt (and my last, for sure, I can't do this again!) and I really, really advise against using cigarettes for any reason. Turning to smoking to help you quit drinking may seem like a good idea right now but it won't do eventually - smoking is without doubt definitely not a healthy alternative! Please reconsider!