Notices

Hi, I'm new!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new!

Hi,
I joined last night when I was more than a little merry and have finally accepted that I need to address my alcohol problems. I still feel rough from last night and am sick of being hungover!! I have many mornings a week where I feel like this and it is getting me down. I start the day with the best of intentions but some days just screw up and drink anyway. My fiance is really understanding (he used to be an alcoholic but has managed to quit) but I am scared if this continues that he'll be off. I want to quit for me, not anyone else but am really struggling to. My mother is an alcoholic and I have seen what it has done to her. I am determined not to let it be an issue forever.

Just wanted to say hi!!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.

You've found a great place, you'll find lots of sobriety here.

I got sick of the hangovers, too. I hate to think of the days I wasted laying in bed hungover.
A good thing that works for me is to think think that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.

There's also support groups that can help. AA works for many.
Whatever path you choose, I wish you the best in quiting. It can be done.
Post here as often as you like, you'll find lots of support.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! You'll find great understanding here in the forums of SR. Do you have a specific plan on how you'll quit? How did your boyfriend quit? AA? Rational Recovery? On his own? As you read through the posts you'll see that SR members have chosen a large variety of methods and programs for recovery and sobriety.
Good luck on Day 1!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My boyfriend quit by himself after scaring himself senseless on his brother's stag do when he woke up after a night out and realised he'd vomitted in his sleep and could have died. I don't think I'm ready for meetings etc so will try doing it alone and with the help of forums like this. Fingers crossed!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and glad you have decided to embark on your journey to sobriety. Reading and posting here often is really helping me and I hope it will help you too. Sobriety is possible. Welcome!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,
My Mother has also been an alcoholic for many years. She has stopped drinking almost 1 year now (on her own) I am only on day 4 but very determined! Good luck to you, recovery IS possible..WE can do it!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

I wish you the best of luck on trying to quit alone. I think almost all of have tried that approach with a nothing more than utter disaster.

It took me till 39 and admitting I need help. AA worked wonders and I love the AA life.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!