Notices

Alcohol free

Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol free

Hi everybody, I'm on day 49. I am considering buying some alcohol free sparkling wine.
Is this a dangerous move or should I just stick to lemonade and juices.
Would love to hear your advice folks. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Helbel,

Congrats on your sober days! for me in the beginning it was best to avoid things that looked like my drink of choice, white wine. Why take a chance setting off cravings? not worth it. Seems most folks find it's best to change up. Get a new drinking glass, don't use the ones you used to drink your booze.

I hope this helps!

love from Lenina
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First, congrats on your sober time. That's great.
Not exactly sure what alcohol free sparkling wine is, but to be safe, why don't you mix club soda with some juice instead? I stay far away from anything that tastes like an alcoholic drink without the alcohol, such as those special beers and wines. Love cranberry and club soda

It is not worth the risk to your sobriety.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

With all the myriad of non alcoholic things you could drink, I'd ask myself why I wanted to drink something that represents and reminds you of wine, Helbel?

D
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have done this in the past - I just drink Camomile tea now and fruit teas, minus the Caffeine. Camomile is a relaxant too which is handy for the anxiety.. but I am drinking that much during the day/through the night that I am getting lots of water inside me too, keeping me hydrated.

Fizzy sugary things are really bad for you and can leave you caffeine dependent also! Plus if you are struggling with weight, it keeps the weight on.

If you find fruit teas boring, you can add a little honey
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditto. I tried alcohol free beer for a while but it just gave me a taste for a real beer. It just represented what I really wanted which of course ended up being a real beer before long. I am only four days in right now but have spent months sober in the past. "All" virgin drinks pull me in. I'm trying to find something now to look forward to, like Sugar's tea.

Sugar...have you tried the Chai tea? I had a cup last night and that was nice and relaxing. I had to quit smoking as well since the alcohol & cigs go together for me, so the hot tea worked great to replace the 10:00 cig.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are some sparkling juices out there that actually taste good, which can't be said for NA products...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear Helbel hello there,

when I first joined here I probably naievely suggested to someone who was going to a party to take an NA bottle of wine with them :<

I said this because I know it has worked for some people I know for example who are drivers at social events or even for those just cutting down. But after being on SR and reading a lot, I see that it probably only works if you are not an alcoholic.

But who knows - and is it worth a try?...probably not if you can find something else you like such as yummy Blueberry Juice :>
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. Plus, if you have to sit back and consider it before buying it, I think you already have your answer.