Notices

DUI License suspension question

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI License suspension question

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I am truley grateful for the advice I received on here and needed a little bit more help. I wasnt sure which forum this best goes in so just came to the one I posted in last time....

At the beginning of this year I was arrested for DUI. My license was suspended and I did not fight that as I pretty much knew you can't win those. During my license suspension period, I went to court and was fortunate enough to get my dui reduced to a Reckless Driving. Just ordered to pay a massive fine, no probation, no alcohol classes, nothing. I was sick for months and after that it was like a gigantic weight off my shoulders. Last month, I received a letter from the dmv showing the reckless driving charge, how many points it put on my license and a note stating if I go over a certain amount of points, my license is subject to suspension.

So I am thinking, well since I did not get a dui, my license is now valid. Fast forward to today, and since I dont learn from my mistakes, I got pulled over for speeding on my way to work. The cop wrote me the speeding ticket, then said my license was comming back as suspended. She asked if whoever she radioed if it was DUI related and was told no. She said if I show up to court with proof of my license she will drop that and reduce the speeding ticket to the minimum.

Now, I am completely sick all over again. I was (perhaps under my own ignorance) that my license was no longer suspended, espeically after I recieve that letter from the dmv just advising me of my points. If it is indeed suspended, and it is from that dui, that is a serious offense I could be facing,and not knowing about it doesnt fly in court. I am completely freaked out now.

It was in a different state than my home state where I got the dui, so perhaps thats why they didnt know about it, but I was under the assumption that there is no such thing on my record of a dui, only a reckless driving. I am not sure how to deal with this now. Part of me just wants to pay these two fines so hopefully they just accept my money and dont dig deep into it, but I can't have this stuff on my driving record on top of everything!!

My question is, has anyone gotten a dui reduced and how does that exactly affect your license status. I'm starting to think I was serverly misunderstood and the fact I keep making dumb mistakes is really going to hurt me. Anyone with any feedback or advice??
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In California, possibly other states, the DMV can and will suspend your license independent of what the court orders. Time to lawyer up.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really have no idea, sorry Cbear - others may.
How's your recovery going?

D
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I suggest you contact by phone, the DMV who sent you that letter, and ask them for something in writing lifting the suspension on your license. That usually gets them off their butts so your records will reflect your current status.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Best thing for you to do, is go to your local DMV and get a copy of the facts. Whether its suspened or not. But make sure you go to the office dont call or letters that will take months. Youll be in line for a long time, but you will know the outcome by the time you leave. Then go from there. Dont try to run from it or let them not dig. It will only come to bite you in the ass, if it is suspened.

Try not to worry, just go to the dmv and see what is what.

I have had 4 dui's and 1 reckless op which was in a different state. Thats what I would do .. Wish you the best.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your quick replies. I have that sick feeling comming back to me. I really really cannot afford another lawyer, and I understand the dmv can be seperate from the court, but the cop stated she asked if the suspension was dui related and was told no. I just don't get it. I can't beleive this nightmare is comming back all over again so quickly.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So are you sober CBear?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was only about a once or twice a week drinker at the time, and have even lessened from that, and certainly have not gotten behind the wheel since. But right now I'm just really looking for an answer or hope for this license suspension. Now all these scared feelings are comming back of going to jail, having to meet with my attorney, etc. I wasnt even late for work or anything just not really paying attention to my speed and cruising along.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got a DUI in CA 7 years ago and after the original 3 month suspension period, there was a reinstation fee to pay to DMV. Did you look into this?