Notices

Do you care if your significant other drinks?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you care if your significant other drinks?

Just curious how everyone feels about this.

I'm 31, married and 4 months into sobriety. My wife has never had any issues with drinking and is pretty much a model of self control. My own binge drinking caused us tons of fighting and arguing over the years and now thankfully I've been able to put that behind me.

She still drinks and it actually doesnt bother me in the least. She'll have a class of wine with dinners, a drink on the beach or a couple drinks out with friends. It never bothers me and I never get jealous.

Hopefully it's always this easy. I wouldn't ever ask her to give up drinking when she has never had a problem.

Does your significant other still drink and do you mind?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My husband, who never had a problem with alcohol, stopped drinking when I did. I put him off alcohol altogether. I would never have asked him to stop drinking for my sake, but it makes life easier. We never have alcohol in the house.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We do not keep alcohol in the house either, but we never did even when I was drinking. It was one of the ways I tried to "control" my addiction
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mine doesn't
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dont have a current significant other... But this is an issue i worry about for the future. I dont know if i can ever have alcohol around me in my home. I know i cant now. Dont see how i ever can. Though i wouldnt care if someone drank when we were out. I guess i just better not move in with anyone ever again! LOL
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I have been sober for about 4.5 months and my husband drinks. I have actually been surrounded by alcohol since I quit drinking. For me it hasn't been a problem. I do find that I don't enjoy being around drunk people, but people drinking and having a good time is fine with me. We also keep alcohol in the house. At first I was annoyed with it, but have come to terms with it. No has pressured me to drink and everyone knows I don't drink. Actually- the ONLY person who said anything was my brother, and he said (we were on vacation together) he would be happy to not drink during the week if it were a problem for me. I was so touched by that. I told him to go ahead and drink- he loves micro brews and drinks for taste and always in moderation, but he was so kind to ask.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My husband drinks, but in moderation and doesn't have an alcoholic bone in his body. We have alcohol in the house and it isn't an issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Same with me. My husband might have a couple beers at night & it doesn't bother me. I know he would've stopped drinking in front of me if it had caused me problems. (He asked if it was ok to have it in the house.) We also go to places that serve alcohol - I did find it uncomfortable in the beginning, because I was feeling sorry for myself. That didn't last long, though. I know I'm not missing out on a thing.

I think we're all very different where this is concerned. It's an interesting topic, WingsFan.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My SO drinks but only in moderation. The biggest struggle has been telling her that she doesn't need to change her lifestyle because of me.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This has been a big topic of discussion with my husband and I lately. I'm new to sobriety (almost 90 days-woohoo!) and we're trying to feel out what works for us. Right now I don't mind if he, or anyone we're hanging out with, is drinking some but I don't want to be around people getting hammered. No alcohol in the house. I don't want to have any handy in case there's a weak moment.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My partner still has a couple of drinks once a week and i dont mind, we still go to pubs and i still enjoy myself, we do tend to leave earlier than when i was drinking. Main reason is he enjoys the taste of beer and 4 is his limit lol.

I personally have less patience with people who are completley hammered , truthfully it reminds me of whata mess i was
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I have beer in fridge. Well...hubby does. Not tempted by it. Wish I had self control like he does. If I had wine or tequila or whiskey I would have problems.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In fact just corked a bottle of Chateau Neuf de **** for her and father-in-law.....no worries for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WingsFan13 View Post
Does your significant other still drink and do you mind?
Yes, No
Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

She drinks. Its no problem 4 me.

She joked with me that tonight she was gonna take me to the bar and get drunk so I could be her DD. I joked back to go ahead because she couldnt force herself to get drunk even if she wanted too.

11 years and Ive seen her drunk maybe 5 times. Shes seen me drunk 500 times.

I can watch her drink for a few years
Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My situation is like Anna's. My husband also quit drinking....for me. I asked him to not drink the first week, but he hasn't resumed it and it is does make it easier. We do so much together, that I think it would bother me a little at home...not if we were out though.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He does but not much (like 2 beers a month). Doesn't bother me in the least. No alcohol in the house, though. Not a rule, we just don't.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

we don't keep alcohol in the house. I don't care if Hubs wants a drink when we're out. I have to be around lots of drinking for business, It doesn't bother me. I no longer drink and don't want to drink. I don't have much patience for drunkenness though. When the party or dinner starts getting too loud or slurred, I discretely beat it out.

hope this helps!

Love from Lenina
Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We have wine and beer in the house and my SO will sometimes have a glass. She always asks first. The smell sometimes bothers me but not in a temptation sort of way. It's just a smell I don't enjoy (who would have thought!). I move away or ask her to move her glass.

Like others here, I have little tolerance for drunkeness. At least not the loud and rowdy kind. My SO knows when we go out that when dinner is over and her family starts getting to "that" point, I'm going to calmly take my leave. Same goes with her and our friends. I have no problem enjoying a seltzer water or two while the group has a few cocktails but I don't want to stay all night. If drinks and appetizers turns into an all night kind of affair, no way. I've come to learn that no matter what the original plan might be, always assume we're going home separately and decide beforehand how we'll accomplish that.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I met my SO after I had been sober for a few years. I can't understand how she can drink so little. The only thing that bothers me is when she doesn't drain her glass. We have a bottle or two of wine in the house. If family or friends being alcohol for get togethers, they take the leftovers with them.