Notices

Time to stop.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to stop.

Hi all.

Im new to the forum and am looking for advice and help

For five plus years now I have been drinking on average 12 full streagth beers each weeknight some times more. Then usually more on the weekends. It has never really effected my working life. I had built up a good tolerance to the alcohol.

4 days ago I decided it was time to change and give it up in order to improve my fitness.

I lasted nights off with no sleep, cold sweets, and feeling disorientated. On the third night I had 4 beers before bed just to try and get some sleep but the symptoms did not change.

Is it best to go cold turkey? I have been reading about a method called tapering off. Has any one had luck with this. Or do I just need to bite the bullet and suffer for a week or so.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I can give you is to see your doctor and tell him/her you're wanting to quit drinking. Meds can be given for a short time to lessen the symptoms of withdrawal. Tapering off can be quite a chore and many of us here have tried and failed at it. Best to go cold turkey with a doctor's help.

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

I couldn't moderate my drinking; I couldn't control my drinking when I started. So I sure as heck couldn't taper. Sounds like torture.

If you are concerned about quitting cold turkey, see your doctor, be honest about your drinking, and tell him or her you want to quit. Detox can be tough. Tapering could be tougher.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have made it four days you should be feeling better but as Least said a trip to the doc for a checkup & some help would be best.

Welcome to SR, you will find a lot of support here
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and congrats on trying to quit. I definitely second what everyone said about seeing a dr. Even if detox isn't life threatening (which it can be it can kill you), the dr. Can help make it easier and more comfortable.
I tried to taper. Didn't work. I think it mostly only works for people who aren't alcoholics.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I should have given a bit more detail in my first post.

I should have mentioned I have already seen the doctor twice and was prescribed valium to help me sleep. It had little to no effect at all I was awake all night for two nights. I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver and high blood pressure (family history). I have an additive personality by nature and would like to avoid replacing on thing with another as I have stopped the valium as it had not effect.

I think Ill just have to go cold turkey and rough it out. I was just seeing if there were other ways out there as this is the first time I have tried to stop. My drinking is more of a habit. I never think of it during the day and only really started drinking in the first place to help me get a good night sleep. It started with just a couple of beers and has escalated over the years.

During the first few days are there any signs or ways I can monitor myself to see if things are worse than they may seem.

I have now realised it is time to give it away. I have a week off work to do so and hopefully I can over come the worst of it in that time before returning.

Reading some other peoples experiences before joining the forum it seems it might be a long road but it is one I will have to travel.

Any further advice or recommendations would be much appreciated and will keep browsing in the mean time

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You were honest with your doctor about your drinking?...He was OK with you detoxing on your own? I had a medical detox...Supervised with medication...That was five days...Detox usually is three to five days....So I think if you have a week off it's a wise move...I see people on here going to work while they're doing this and it boggles my mind. Drink a lot of water....Take a lot of walks and showers...Eat what you can...Drink more water...You can even hit a few AA meetings if you want to be around people like you....That never hurts.....No point doing it alone. Good luck...Hang out on the board here and let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Welcome, there is a link on this site that was very helpful. Its called "what to expect what we did". I cant send you the link b/c I'm too new to the site, but if you google it you should be able to find it. It talks about the symptoms you may experiance and how long they may last, and tips on what helps.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thread delivered:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family. When I tried to quit on my own my blood pressure spiked dangerously & I had an abnormal heartbeat. I ended up tapering with success - but it is NOT recommended. I was desperate because I had no insurance at the time. I hope you'll be careful.

It's good you're looking at what your drinking habit is doing to your life. I commend you for wanting to make this big change, and for reaching out for advice. I hope you'll keep reading and posting here. We care about you.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, Taking5