SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When is too much, too much?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/268401-when-too-much-too-much.html)

TALULAHBAGGINS1 09-17-2012 04:14 PM

When is too much, too much??

I know I'm an alcoholic but not sure I'm ready for meetings. When is too much too much???

sugarbear1 09-17-2012 04:16 PM

When it's too much for you.

Change4good 09-17-2012 04:19 PM

For me, it was when I signed up, and joined this community.

Good to have you with us.

least 09-17-2012 04:33 PM

"Too much" was when I was waking up every morning feeling like sh!t and wishing I were dead.:( Since getting sober I don't wake up like that anymore.:)

Welcome to the site!:hug:

pipparina 09-17-2012 04:33 PM

When you are ready to stop. You have to want sobriety more than you want to keep poisoning yourself.

Dee74 09-17-2012 04:35 PM

Welcome Talulah
I think too much is too much when you say it is.

Don't confuse your fear of meetings with the need to quit.

If AA's not your thing there are other methods around - some involve meetings, some don't...almost all of them have some kind of online meetings.

You'll find a lot of ideas and support here :)

D

NewBeginning010 09-17-2012 04:35 PM

As soon as you start wondering what too much is it is already too much ;-)

Welcome to SR :welcome

Taking5 09-17-2012 04:38 PM

What do meetings have to do with how much is too much?

When you are visiting a recovery website and asking questions like this, IMHO you have already crossed the line.

TALULAHBAGGINS1 09-18-2012 05:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I know I need to stop drinking but am finding harder than I want to admit.

Red79 09-18-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by TALULAHBAGGINS1 (Post 3582943)
Thanks for the replies. I know I need to stop drinking but am finding harder than I want to admit.

I'm totally with you. I know I need to quit, it's just finding the courage to move on without the weight that is booze and the consequences of a life in the midst of it. I knew I had a problem when I would envy those people who didn't "need" as much as I do to have a good time. Or what I think is a good time until I have to be carried out of a bar or wake up with no memory of how I got to bed.

I won't miss that.

Anna 09-18-2012 06:50 AM

It's really hard to admit that you're an alcoholic, but you need to do that in order to recover. And, as Dee said, don't confuse the need to quit drinking with meetings. There are a variety of methods to stop drinking, so take a look around and be inspired. :)

TALULAHBAGGINS1 09-18-2012 06:54 AM

I am definitely an alcoholic. It took me a long time to admit that I had a problem but I have got to that point. Just not sure where to go next!!

Anna 09-18-2012 07:07 AM

Try to focus on the day and to get through it without drinking. You could get rid of all the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. For me, it helped to pinpoint the really tough times of the day and to make sure I was doing something different at that time. Exercise is always a good help, and there are lots of great books to read on spirituality. I had to reconnect with my spiritual self and find a purpose in my life.