Notices

Under the Influence - eBook

Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Under the Influence - eBook

I saw this mentioned on another thread earlier - I can't remember who posted it but thank you very much.

I am onto Chapter 3 already and this book is brilliant.

For those who haven't read it - it states that alcohol is indeed hereditary and some of us are predisposed to it more than others (I am half Irish, so unlucky there too!). I also have two alcoholic parents.

Also, the reason we blackout, turn into cranks/lunatics.. is indeed an alcohol induced madness!

There is problems in alcoholics livers, that break down chemicals in a different way .. which makes us predisposed to alcoholism.

Excellent book. I paid approximately £5 for it. Well worth the money - and am reading it with a Camomile tea and feelings of positivity.

Makes me feel less worthless and more understanding of the situation.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been reading it for a week and wrote about it today, trying to find where to copy and paste.

It's a must read in my opinion and will hopefully scare some sober as it is doing for me. Alcoholics physiology IS different and we CAN'T drink, period. It WILL kill us.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeepBreath2012 View Post
I've been reading it for a week and wrote about it today, trying to find where to copy and paste.

It's a must read in my opinion and will hopefully scare some sober as it is doing for me. Alcoholics physiology IS different and we CAN'T drink, period. It WILL kill us.
Thank you SO SO MUCH!!!

Definitely a must read!

More recently I have been concerned about how my drinking has caused me to almost die on several occasions (slipped on a rock in the sea in Thailand and almost drowned, wanting to slide down a banister down 4 floors, drink driving).. but also I know my health isnt great ..

.. can't thank you enough. I wasn't sure who mentioned the post because I read it on the laptop but then went upstairs to install the ebook reader I needed with Adobe, to actually read it.. clicking the site off down here.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aha! Found what I wrote today in re: to this book

And I quote myself, lol
Read the book "Under the Influence"...It will scare you sober to read what us alcoholics are physiologically doing to our body and why, as alcoholics, we CAN NOT drink EVER, because our reactions to alcohol are based in our "special" physiology (different than that of a non-alcoholic) and are beyond our control. No matter what our psychology is, even if the depression/anxiety/whatever situational stuff is going on gets better, our physical reaction to alcohol, the chemistry in our body is not in our control, and will not change and won't get better. Drinking = poison to our body therefore we can't do it, ever.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too, am surprised Im not dead after reading this book, for multiple reasons.

However, more than anything this book is absolutely convincing me of why it is a MUST that I get sober.

In my opinion, every alcoholic needs to read this book

I have the hard copy and...well let's say my copy is marked up to the enth degree...it's glaringly obvious that this is a fatal disease beyond our control (if we choose to drink because we can't control the way our bodies respond to alcohol). What's in my control...putting that POISON in my previous body. No more!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I, too, am surprised Im not dead after reading this book, for multiple reasons.

However, more than anything this book is absolutely convincing me of why it is a MUST that I get sober.

In my opinion, every alcoholic needs to read this book

I have the hard copy and...well let's say my copy is marked up to the enth degree...it's glaringly obvious that this is a fatal disease beyond our control (if we choose to drink because we can't control the way our bodies respond to alcohol). What's in my control...putting that POISON in my previous body. No more!
You are right. I have just bookmarked it and can only read it upstairs, can't get it to work on my laptop downstairs. Will carry on tomorrow evening when have got work stuff and kids stuff out of the way.

I feel positive reading it though - don't you?

My ex partner said I am like a woman possessed after a certain amount to drink and can go from sober to drunk in like, 10 minutes. He is an alcoholic himself and one night freaked me out by talking to God (he isn't religious) - it's funny because alot of the time, when he was drinking.. I wouldn't.. because I was afraid we would fight... he would freak me out with his behaviour, and I would freak him out with mine!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I meant "precious" body not previous body, LMAO - I was on my phone.

Yes, I feel very positive reading it...empowered! I also feel stronger about my sobriety quest while reading it because I know I can't poison my body anymore.

I'm so glad you got it and are enjoying it!

I had to laugh...you freakin' him out, him freakin' you out...not funny, of course, but hey - we can laugh about this stuff when sober, right, lol.

So so glad to hear someone shares my opinion on this book! What an eye opening read!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I meant "precious" body not previous body, LMAO - I was on my phone.

Yes, I feel very positive reading it...empowered! I also feel stronger about my sobriety quest while reading it because I know I can't poison my body anymore.

I'm so glad you got it and are enjoying it!

I had to laugh...you freakin' him out, him freakin' you out...not funny, of course, but hey - we can laugh about this stuff when sober, right, lol.

So so glad to hear someone shares my opinion on this book! What an eye opening read!
Damn phones!

I feel empowered also I would also rather think of it as a defective liver than a defective brain But am sure we all would LOL

Oh it's funny.. he would be drunk and I would be thinking 'WTF this man needs help' .. and another night, he'd be sober and I'd be drunk and he would be thinking that about me

I haven't read it all yet but looking forward to it. Interesting the studies on the rats - it helps to have scientific evidence to back claims up in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also highy reccomend "Beyond the Influence", written by the same Drs., and has about 30 years of new science in it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

.....does anyone have a link where you can go for this?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
.....does anyone have a link where you can go for this?
Just go to Amazon. You can buy either book softback or kindle.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nowhere you can get a pdf?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am unaware of a free pdf or one for sale for that matter. Both books are still undercopyright and sell several hundred thousand copies a year.

Kindle is a free download at Amazon, and the kindle ebook will save you money.