SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   relaxation in sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/268378-relaxation-sobriety.html)

mecanix 09-17-2012 12:10 PM

relaxation in sobriety

My friends in early recovery,

I'd just like to share with you something i became aware of whilst chatting to a friend.
During my drinking career and in early sobriety my nerves were shot and jangley. Irritabillity was suppressed in me like a pressure cooker, emotionally i was buttoned up because sometimes i was half-cut or hungover . I used to have to screw myself up tight inside to concentrate to just get through the day .

All of that has gone now, the whole of my life is relaxing rather than a hold it and sprint to the next chemical crutch, i feel like a long distance runner who has just got into his stride, no holding it in .. it's like the difference between a motorbike and a big V8 ..

380 days out and i'm still noticing things improving, When i say stick with it , it's for a reason ;)

Bestwishes on your journeys, M

doggonecarl 09-17-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mecanix (Post 3581718)
...380 days out and i'm still noticing things improving, When i say stick with it , it's for a reason ;)

So true, mecanix.

When the forum members with long-term sobriety told me it took time to acclimate from being a drinker to being sober, that I'd see change if I was patient, I took them at their word.

Looking back, I was naïve to think that I could drink for 35 years and expect to see vast improvements in a month, 6 months.

I waited it out and was rewarded with the recovery I have now. Too many newcomers come here expecting the same instant gratification that drinking provides. Maybe that's why so many go back to alcohol. It's quick.

Recovery is slow. But its results are longer lasting.

SoberForMySon 09-17-2012 12:54 PM

You guys are an inspiration and a source of hope. Thank you for posting.

FredG 09-17-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 3581781)
So true, mecanix.

When the forum members with long-term sobriety told me it took time to acclimate from being a drinker to being sober, that I'd see change if I was patient, I took them at their word.

Looking back, I was naïve to think that I could drink for 35 years and expect to see vast improvements in a month, 6 months.

I waited it out and was rewarded with the recovery I have now. Too many newcomers come here expecting the same instant gratification that drinking provides. Maybe that's why so many go back to alcohol. It's quick.

Recovery is slow. But its results are longer lasting.

Couldn't have said it better - Nothing good comes quickly.

hypochondriac 09-17-2012 01:23 PM

Okay, okay, we'll be patient ;)

Tbh, I have only really started noticing positive changes like that just before 6 months, little glimpses of a calmer life :) Before that I was still up and down like a yo yo. So far, yup, it gets better every day!

kellbell123 09-17-2012 01:24 PM

THis is exactly what I needed today. A reminder of patience. Thank you!

RevivingOphelia 09-17-2012 02:17 PM

...something good to look forward to for sure.

thanks

YVRguy 09-17-2012 02:25 PM

Yes patience and trust not two things I have had a lot of for decades but I see it the people with years of sobriety.

Right now I am quite happy just not to be out there building up another horrible dextox. Daily meetings and actually taking care of myself with proper food and the like is something I am grateful for.

I have the time off work and will use it to the proper purpose to get sober and put in place the proper plan to stay that way and let the rest heal as the body , mind and soul get well slowly but surely. Physically I am okay but my journal is letting me know the other pieces, mind and soul, are anything but and a lot of cleaning on my side of the street to do. No hop from Step 1 to 9 to 12 . it doesn't work that way, tried that with zero result. Each step , in order , with the tradition along side and rushing this is simply not possible. I have a great temp sponsor and happy to let him guide me and help me through the first bit here.

Whatever the case is , I still feel better than I did a few weeks ago and now I have lots of place to call and get support when a tough issue or craving comes up.

Have a good 24

Mark75 09-17-2012 02:51 PM

It took a while for me, to become relaxed. Longer than just a few months... That doesn't mean that I was a mess the whole time, not at all... But relaxed enough in my sobriety that it was no longer an issue. It just was and I grew comfortable in it. That's awesome and it was worth all the work and time...

So yea, hang in there!