Notices

New

Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

12 months ago I walked in an AA meeting for the 1st and only time, I sat and listened to what everyone had to say took down some phone numbers, I stayed sober for two weeks that's all, two weeks!!! I never returned to that meeting or any others.

I was just sorting the weekly rubbish for bin day tomorrow and in the recycling sits empty a 70cl Bacardi bottle a 70cl Vodka bottle and two 35cl vodka bottles along with eight bottles of diet coke. A total of 78.9 units.

I Think maybe I should go back to that meeting this afternoon...........?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dorris
I think that would be a good idea - what have you got to lose?

D
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dorris

Two weeks was a good attempt.. if it helped then maybe it will help again. I'm sure you'll find lots of support and help here too x
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do it!

Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah...I'd recommend it....Maybe you weren't ready then....Sounds like you might be ready now....I'd suggest you get some new numbers and use them this time...And try more than one meeting...Welcome to the site Dorris...Glad you are here. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's getting closer to the time to go and I can feel myself doubting the fact I need meetings.
My head is like some has pressed rewind, so quickly going over all the bad times with drink and all the good times I've had with a drink. It hurts to think!!

How my life is going to change, it's happening all to fast. I just want to go to sleep
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
It's getting closer to the time to go and I can feel myself doubting the fact I need meetings.
My head is like some has pressed rewind, so quickly going over all the bad times with drink and all the good times I've had with a drink. It hurts to think!!

How my life is going to change, it's happening all to fast. I just want to go to sleep
I am not an expert but you stated quite clearly that you spent 2 weeks sober thanks to the last meeting you went to.

Go to this one and you can have that feeling again.

Just go, without even thinking about it. Whats worse that can happen? You would otherwise be sitting at home.

Why don't you go, then come back and post about your experience?

And reward yourself for going with a treat.. like a Cake or something!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Stick around. Give us a report on the meeting
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't let fear swamp you Dorris.
You're not alone here

If you want to change your life, it takes changes.

If you want to get out of your current situation, you need to move forward.
Most of us find we need a little help with that.

Not doing anything might just condemn you to more of the same.
Noone wants that for you Dorris

D
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post

The idea of giving up alcohol scared me....It terrified me.....But not as much as what it was doing to my life....All those bottles in the rubbish?....Keep drinking and that will get worse....That scared me more. My life was falling apart and I was denying it.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find support at that meeting. Give it a go. What have you got to lose but your addiction?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dorris I all but lost my family due to my drinking career. I'm presently 8 months sober and waiting for the family to wake up so we can go out to breakfast together for the first time in 3 years. Glad you are seeing the reality in your trash bin. Do this for you. Hit a meeting then come home and take a nap. See, you can do both sober! Welcome - glad you found us
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep coming back. It does and will get better. do nothing and youll have nothing
Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Almost 3 years on and I have still woken this Monday to take out the recycling and found a 1 litre bottle and 3 x 35cl bottles. Total of 65 units!!!

Why??????????????????????????
Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dorris - good to see you again

i really believe you get out of your recovery what you put into it...if you're still drinking,. then I think it's clear you probably need to think about other things to add to your recovery plan.

these two links are pretty good one for helping you devise a recovery plan, making changes in your life and finding the right support.

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...SMA12-4474.pdf

what about getting involved here again - join a monthly group?

you seem to do better when you do that?

D
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank You Dee

If I don't do anything different, I wont be able to change
Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Doris, hi, I used to hide my empties, embarrassed but couldn't stop.

I only stopped when I knew I didn't want this anymore! Then I learnt how to live sober. Decide you aren't going yo drink, no matter what, everything else can be learnt with each step you take.

All the best.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Why? Because you're an alcoholic probably. And maybe before you'd realised this but weren't really to tackle it. There will be meetings today. If you're ready to be Honest (with yourself); Open to change, new ideas, and help from others; and Willing to stay sober for today, then maybe this could be your new day one.

When I first got sober, it was tough. That alcoholic voice was in overdrive, and it was necessary to immerse myself in my recovery, otherwise I'd start to listen to it and believe it. (Just like you did on 17th Sept 2012). The thing is, drinking gave me nothing but false promises. I was empty and needed to change. I'm not saying it's been easy, but at almost 18 months sober, after working the AA steps (to step 10) the promises have been gradually coming true for me (something I didn't really believe would happen) and I go to meetings and see others who have also had that experience. You said in that Sept 2012 post that you just want to sleep. I used to have a thing that went through my head all the time, like a tired resignation that said "I want to go home". I didn't understand where the voice came from or where it meant (I know it didn't mean 'home'). That voice was there from my teens until I was well into recovery at 42. That voice has gone now. I know what peace is. I have serenity - not ALL of the time, but mostly. It's there for you as well. If you want it...

THE A.A. PROMISES

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Dorris having a plan is vital imo
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dorris!! You can do this!!