Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Name 1 thing you did today.. that you would NOT have done back when you drank...

Notices

Name 1 thing you did today.. that you would NOT have done back when you drank...

Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Woke up without a hang over, and much more. in the past I would have been up at 4am in a drunken insomnia wondering why I do this to myself.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Listened to my mother criticize my appearance and weight and instead of taking it on as 'my stuff', I viewed it as her projecting her issues onto me and I didn't feel bad about myself - true progress!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Watched Fahreed Zakaria GPS as it aired, instead of on PVR.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had fun on my birthday without alcohol in my system. First sober birthday in four years, and I had an absolute BLAST. There was a time when I didn't think that was even possible.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

went swimming with one of the kids, dropped my other daughter at her TKD seminar back home to a lovely Sunday Roast cooked by hubby and made playdough in the evening.........lol
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

wished my BFF Happy Rosh Hashanah and will beg for cake and leftovers later. Took the dog for 2 extra long walks and did not froth about the lines in the store...i bought ice cream!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Had a quiet, peaceful day with my family. There was no fighting or even a raised voice. Made dinner with my daughter and laughed the whole time.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow - Isn't it amazing how much we achieve when we don't drink? I love this thread and reading everyone's posts!

I went on a bike ride for the 2nd day with my amazing husband, made my "green" juice for breakfast, shopped for a few groceries, packed my bag for my return flight to PHL for week 2 of training (I passed week 1!!), took a 2nd LONG hot jetted bath and pampered myself before giving my Husband a long kiss goodbye until next Friday;-)

Before, I would have arrived home after drinking myself across the country, then drank myself into a blackout, laid on the couch both days and shoved myself back in the car to head back to the airport and paid little or no attention to my hubby.

I REALLY like the sober version so much better, everything is better not drinking.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So much fun reading this thread! Walked 4.4 miles, worked in garden and pond, grocery shopped and cooked.....all while enjoying an absolutely beautiful early autumn day

Soberformyson - you too can join this thread!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I so want to!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Went to a meeting, visited my husband's 102 year old grandmother, went to an ambulance call (I'm an EMT), made dinner, and sat around my chiminea with my family. Before I would have spent my day acquiring and drinking-alone in my room.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Took a 24 hour urine collection. When drunk I wouldn't have in fear of my tests coming back so outta whack. Backwards I know.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

Went to Rosh Hashana services with my parents, sister, and one of her daughters.

Laughed inappropriately and uncontrollably with sis and niece at the wrong time during the service, too, but it WAS funny! (maybe sis and I were living a moment we never had as children since we didn't meet until she was 40 and I was 34...).

My dad said we weren't acting our ages! (now 57 and 51, niece is 15)

I did refuse to pretend I knew any of the Hebrew and had silent prayers.

I used to avoid family gatherings in favor of staying home "celebrating" with beer or going and being really sullen and angry...until I could get home to drink.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Went for a run for an hour and made pasta for the familiy. Kissed my wife for no reason. The look on her face was awesome.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

-I studied for a work related finance test for about 6 hours (yes, 6 hours of studying on a Sunday and I'm not even in school anymore)

-Cooked and packed breakfast/lunch for the entire week. Before, I would spend at least $12 on eating out for lunch every. single. day.

-Right now, I get to relax for about an hour before going to bed. I would never, ever relax when I was drinking. By this time usually (10pm) I was puking, blacked out, or puking and still drinking.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I guess the best thing I've accomplished on this Sunday is this feeling right now. Knowing that I'll wake up tomorrow morning at 6am and be ready to go to work. I didn't have a single un-hungover morning in 6 years. It just feels great to know that I'll wake up and feel ready to earn money in the clearest of mindsets.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ate about a half-pound of chocolate-covered pecans, which I never ate when I drank because I had too much sugar in my system from metabolizing alcohol. I love having my appetite back and actually processing the food I eat.

Also read several chapters in a book(!), which I have not done for probably five years or more. Reading used to be my favorite hobby and it will be again.
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today I faced the day with no regrets
  # 39 (permalink)  

I got rid of an old loveseat and a bookshelf today. Dragged them out to the curb. Getting organized and paring down. When I was drinking I literally didnt even see the total chaos I was living in. It didn't compute. Nothing made sense when I drank, except knowing where I would get my next drink.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I woke up feeling great, went to a noon AA meeting, then took a walk in a lovely Japanese garden and sat quietly at peace with myself and my thoughts listening to the gentle movement of a stream and feeling a soft breeze on my face. Participated in a Japenese tea ceremony. Took my dogs for a good walk. Called my parents and didn't have to lie when I told them I was doing well.

Great thread! Enjoying reading it.