SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Need help tapering (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/268283-need-help-tapering.html)

TRAE54 09-16-2012 11:44 AM

Need help tapering

I am new to this. I am a norco user, started about 6 years ago. At first it was just a "weekend" high, then as the years went on, I now take them daily. Of course I stop and say "how did this daily thing happen?"

I get 20 - 5/325 norcos from my doctor per month, for a shoulder injury. Of course that isn't even close to enough, and i get the rest on the street. I stick to buying "norco" so as to not mix other opiates with what I have been prescribed.

I spend way too much money on them and exhibit the normal counting pills, freaking out when I only have 30 pills and 15 days before I can get more. I spend over $500 per month, and know it has to stop.

Can someone tell me what is the best way to taper off? I take 15 mg (1 1/2 pills at a time as I buy 10/325's) I can't take time off work to go through withdrawals, but know I have to get off these things. I understand to taper you need to take enough to make you feel normal, yet not so much as to get the "high". Treatment at this time is not an option, I am going to try tapering first. Any advice on what I can expect, how to make myself more comfortable, etc?

Thanks and I am so thankful I found this site!!

least 09-16-2012 01:18 PM

You ought to ask your doctor that question. We can't give medical advice here as we don't know your situation and we're not doctors. Please ask your doctor for help in tapering off them.:hug:

Welcome to SR!:)

TRAE54 09-16-2012 01:45 PM

Well Hum Guess i came to the wrong place I wasnt asking medical advice Just asking questions I will continue my internet search i guess

silly 09-16-2012 05:34 PM

I agree with Least, only a doctor will know. I'm not sure why treatment isn't an option but the next best thing is other medical care. Who knows, maybe there are other ways to quit aside from tapering. If addiction to norcos is anything like alcohol, tapering doesn't work very well anyway.
Best of luck getting the advice you need! Careful what you read online.

TRAE54 09-16-2012 06:02 PM

Support is what I am looking for I guess Boy did I pick the wrong place. I read alot of the threads before I took the step to join here. Not looking for any more relpies, but I now am very discouraged

least 09-16-2012 06:05 PM

Didn't mean to discourage you, but advice and opinions on how you should taper off is definately medical advice and we can't give it here. We can give support and share our experiences but no medical advice. It's the rules.

TRAE54 09-16-2012 06:21 PM

Yeah i am discouraged. And i am moving on. Unfortunately your RULES dont mean you cant have compassion which is what I came here for, not medical advice. Maybe someone could have said "I cant give medical advice but here is what I went through" I'm sorry but I am extremely discouraged. And yes the answers here made me that way. I was so excited last night when I stumbled onto this website but like I said earlier I am moving on. There are other forums out there. First impressions are big impressions.

silly 09-16-2012 07:21 PM

Sorry you feel discouraged. Least and I were just trying to respond to the question you raised about tappering.
All of us here have a great deal of compassion because we've all been in similar situations. Trying to get sober, not sure how, looking for help but afraid.... You will find a great deal of support here!

Anna 09-16-2012 07:51 PM

There is always lots of support here, but you do need a drs advice on how to taper off the pills.

Mizzuno 09-16-2012 08:50 PM

Hi! Sorry that you are not feeling support from this site. The rules on this site are that we are not allowed to give suggestions or advice about drugs and what not. Its the rules. If i were to give a suggestion, I would be notified by a moderator rather quickly.
As for support? You got a ton of support here with us. I think that talking with your doctor is the best option in a situation like this. Tapering can be serious business. Having your doc involved seems like a positive step for your health. We are here for you. Welcome and please stick around!

IndaMiricale 09-16-2012 09:31 PM

I sorry you feel so upset with us here. But I just give it to you kinda straight. 99% have probably tried "tapering" off our Drug Of Choice. And I would care to bet it didnt work for at least 95%. We are alcoholics and addicts.

For me I could try tapering and that would last a couple days to a a couple weeks, but no matter what somwhere in that time, I would say f*** it and go overboard, to always be right back where I began..

I hope you stick around support here is priceless. :)