Notices

Made it thru the weekend ...just

Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it thru the weekend ...just

I just made it through the weekend.

Surrounded by friends who are having a few friendly drinks and a laugh, I said no to the offer of drinks and just focused on the conversation which was good as I wasn't in an alcohol induced fog. I was pleased with myself.

Then the reality check......Another friend gave me 2 bottles of wine this afternoon as a thank you for helping them out. I immediately said sorry no I'm not drinking anymore and she just laughed and said save it for when you do, that's when I doubted myself. I hesitated but eventually said no I'm not putting a time frame on not drinking I'm just choosing not to drink at all.

8 days sober and slowly finding forgiveness for myself.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through Kath
I wonder if it might not be easier if you did something else on the weekends for a while?

I had to make some pretty big changes in my life...staying sober was that important to me....I needed to make a definite break with my old lifestyle and focus on staying sober as a priority for a while.

There's not need to be a hermit, but maybe thinking outside the box a little with your social life will help?

D
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days Kath!...That's amazing you made it through that....I give you a lot of credit. I stopped drinking because it was killing me....Forget about what it cost me already. I couldn't be around my drinking friends early on....That would have caught up with me. I ended up putting my all into recovery....I use the program of AA....It allowed me the chance to do other things and meet sober people.....Many who are good friends today. I wish you the best with what you are attempting....Give yourself every chance you can to make it work.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair play Kath! I just struggled through my second weekend of sobriety and it was hard work, and I didn't even have anyone offering me bottles of wine! Hats off to you
Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done you! 8 days is brilliant! That's over a week.

I would have struggled rejecting the Wine!

How are you finding it? Are you more tired?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay strong and remember your goals. Don't let temptation suck you back down that black hole of drinking. Saying 'no' gets easier with time and once your friends see that you're really not drinking for good maybe they'll stop offering wine.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

she just laughed and said save it for when you do
You did well here to refuse to take the wine. Well done. Stay strong and take each day at a time
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Well done saying no to the wine....it is really hard to do that especially in your first week up ....well done....someone on SR told me when I did that I was building my sober muscles...I liked that thought
Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulation Kath. Not drinking and turning it down when offered is a good sign youll stay sober for good.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Kath, you're off to a great start! Good job for turning down big temptations!!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

It's hard when friends say these things. The most important thing is to be strong in your commitment to not drink. If you aren't your friends feed on this and it's easy to be swayed into drinking.

Good job this weekend!