Notices

How long to feel better.....

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long to feel better.....

I have drunk alcohol for 43 years, not too excessively for most of those years (half bottle wine) but pretty continuously except when pregnant (twice). Anyway in last 3 years the amount was increasing, teenage kids were uncomfortable with how much I drank, some blood tests came back with high triglycerites (all other functions were OK including liver, thank god), so I decided the time had come to stop. So off I went to AA, and it's been great. I really love the program and can see I'm going to learn how to live happy and sober. I've been alcohol free since 7/5/12, didn't do detox or suffer too badly physically but am still getting slight hot flushes during day and night and feel incredibly tired virtually all the time.
How long can it take for these low level symptoms to clear?
Thanks, Sue
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sue

I think everyone has a slightly different experience but it took me at least 3 months to start to feel 'ok' again - this was after drinking for 20 years.

Of course if you're worried, I reckon nothing beats seeing a Dr

D
Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

For me, the 'symptoms' eased up and came back for several months (maybe for the first 6 months) They go away so gradually that you might not realize when they're gone.

I binge drank for the 10 years before quitting and thought those flashes & vertigo would never go away, but they have (for the most part). I still get a few dementia (like) moments each month and need to see a doctor about that now that I am nearing one year.

Wish you the best. Stick with it, life IS much better without the chains.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good to see ya hear and that ya found something ya really like and are puttin in the footwork.
as dee said, everyone is different and the effects can/will be different for people. however, there is also a chance that there is an underlying medical problem that was covered up by the alcohol and a visit to yer doctor would be highly suggested.