SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Here we go (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/268146-here-we-go.html)

RayBro 09-14-2012 01:51 PM

Here we go

I always said that I would never lower myself to be a member of these forums. HA :c021: joke is on me. 57 years old ( 35 of them in the army ) and still trying to drink myself to death. I am willing to change but I will need some help. Will you help me ?. Let see what we can do.

Hopscotch 09-14-2012 02:00 PM

Hello Ray,
I think that you will find that people here are incredibly kind and generous with their insight, advice, questions and opinions. :)
Welcome, I think you just took a big step towards your goal today

SoberForMySon 09-14-2012 02:02 PM

Welcome! You took a brave step. We are happy to have you! Try our September thread. Lots of support and a cool group if I dare say so!!! Share. You can teach us a lot.

Dee74 09-14-2012 02:15 PM

Hi Ray - welcome :)

I think joining these forums may have been the smartest thing I ever did.
I hope you'll come to think that too...

You'll find a ton of support here - what's your plan for change Ray? :)

D

bloss 09-14-2012 02:33 PM

The forums have really 'saved' me several times from picking up the drink. I am glad I stumbled upon this site last April. Wishing you well on your journey to sobriety.

RayBro 09-14-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3577917)
Hi Ray - welcome :)

I think joining these forums may have been the smartest thing I ever did.
I hope you'll come to think that too...

You'll find a ton of support here - what's your plan for change Ray? :)

D

One thing I learned early in my life was never to plan. Plans have a nasty habit of unravelling in front of your eyes and leaving you feeling foolish. As I said, I was a soldier for a long time, Planning was done for me. The adjustment to civillian life came hard. My so-called friends vanished overnight and all I had left were memories and drink. I suppose I still have the "why me " syndrome quite bad but I am willing to change. In my time I have both given and taken life. I am not afraid to die but what scares me is the memories my children and grandchildren will have of me.

heath480 09-14-2012 02:39 PM

Welcome to SR RayBro.

Glad you are here.

Impurrfect 09-14-2012 03:10 PM

((RayBro)) - I've never been a soldier, but I have some dear friends, here, who were. I was a nurse, and was convinced I was the only one who had ever gotten addicted, but came here and found out I wasn't alone.

I thank you for being a soldier, but I also want you to know you're not alone. Soldier, nurse, doctor, lawyer, indian chief...we're here and we support each other.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Hevyn 09-14-2012 03:29 PM

Welcome Ray! I was in my 50's when I came limping in here - totally beaten and desperate. I felt relieved almost right away - because I wasn't alone anymore. Who knew so many people had been through the same things I had? No one else in my life understood or sympathized at all.

I know what you mean about reaching out - it can be difficult for some of us. I felt so afraid when I first posted, but now that seems ridiculous. I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't sign on here everyday. We are glad you're here with us! Keep posting.

sobermax 09-14-2012 03:33 PM

SR was key in getting me sober. Signing on here was probably the best thing you've done for years mate.

I don't sign in every day but I know it is here.

Welcome!

MrsKing 09-14-2012 03:34 PM

Welcome, Ray. There is so much help and support here - these boards are truly wonderful.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Post as much as you'd like... it really does help.

NoFireWater 09-14-2012 03:38 PM

Welcome Ray-glad you found your way here and I think you will be too. I'd like to add my thank you for being a soldier!

You're going to find that by coming here you've elevated yourself... You'll be able to get help and support, and you just might stop drinking while you're at it. The willingness to change is key, and you're already there. Good luck!

Itchy 09-14-2012 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome Ray!
27 years military in the USAF here. Had 7 years on Mainland Europe and NATO, we might have met at some point.

Our Marines have a saying to "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome."

Go to the website at the bottom of the picture. It isn't staged. Huah!

I improvised and adapted and overcame my drinking at 58 and have not relapsed yet. It has just about been two years. So I am a sober 60 year old warrior whose watch is over too. Join us.

Dee74 09-14-2012 04:57 PM

One thing I learned early in my life was never to plan. Plans have a nasty habit of unravelling in front of your eyes and leaving you feeling foolish.
My experience with recovery has been that, without a plan, my sobriety has a nasty habit of unravelling before my eyes, Ray.

If you need help making a plan, you could so worse than reading around here or trying AA or one of the non 12 step alternatives :)

D

DisplacedGRITS 09-14-2012 04:58 PM

hi Ray! well, now is the time to start planning. you can't stumble into recovery blindly and expect everything to just happen. sobriety takes planning because you've been conditioned to drink all these years. if you're like i was, everything you do, in some way, revolves around drinking. start planning on what you're going to be doing when you would normally be drinking. what are you going to do when a craving hits? have a snack? drink a soda or water? go for a walk? you'll need something because few things are more miserable than sitting and stewing during an intense craving. how are you going to deal with social situations? see, all these things require plans. if you start your sober journey with a map, you're much less likely to feel so lost in the beginning. it's still rough but it's a lot better than just wandering around not knowing what else to do when all you think you want to do is drink. you may not like the idea of planning but you gotta do thinks you don't like when you're starting sobriety. it's just a fact. you're a military man. you know hard work and you know how to do it! apply yourself and you'll have this down. keep on coming to the forums. we're glad to have you!

Itchy 09-14-2012 05:00 PM

We planned in the military. Ready aim fire, not ready fire aim. Repeat as needed. Sobriety plans are much the same.
:c033:

Mark75 09-14-2012 05:05 PM

I am about your age raybro... There are a lot of fine, motivated, eloquent and smart people here on SR and I believe you are in for a little adjustment in your preconceptions regarding online forums...

:)

You may find that the program of AA has a plan for you that won't unravel if you work it. There are also other plans which I don't know much about which may also help. Point is, getting recovered is not always as simple as putting the cup down... You can do it but be prepared to do some work. Are you willing?

1newcreation 01-11-2014 11:59 PM

I plan & He laughs! So you're in the right place
Thank you for your great service to the nation
Hopefully, we here @ SR can now be of "service" to you