Notices

Thank You SR!!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You SR!!

Today I have not picked up a drink or a pill for 4 years!

I use the 12 steps of AA to navigate the waters of life on life's terms... SR is an important and integral part of helping me make sense of AA and recovery in general. I have a sponsor and an amazing home group. I post often (perhaps too often ) here on SR, I have made many friends here, follow travelers in recovery... I also have made many friends IRL at my home group, I don't go every day to AA, about twice a week... but I go early and stay late. I have attended music festivals, gone hunting and fishing and have rode bicycles with my friends in AA, and continue to do so.

AA is spiritual program and I do my best to pray when I need to, and even when I don't... I do not pray to a deity, but rather God, as I understand him.

SR has been responsible for much personal and spiritual growth. I feel that I learn a little more about myself and others every time I come here, to read and post. I have learned a lot about methods of recovery that are not AA, particularly AVRT... and I have found it useful in my own life.

I posted here in newcomers... because I am not celebrating so much as letting you know that you can do it... one CAN recover and have a happy and content life... But it takes work, for me, well, a lot of work... Looking back, putting the cup and pills down was the easy part, though it didn't seem that way at first. And of course I post today to say:

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Thankyou mark,what good news.

Congratulations.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Mark75,

W O W. Very inspiring.

I don't know your story or the relationship you had with alcohol/pills but in a nutshell, how much did you drink etc and what made you want to stop? Only if you want of course :>
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Thank you, Mark, for this. I congratulate you, of course, but I also commend you for service to SR and all of us here. You have made a big difference in many lives, and this place is better for you. You are good people. I am not sure how many, but at least one.

Best to you.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mark
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 years Mark!!...It must be awesome to hunt with alcoholics that don't drink!!!....Happy Birthday and congrats!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done Mark!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats, Mark! And thanks for the kind and wise advice you dispense on SR!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Mark! I'm really grateful that people like you stick around SR to help others. Otherwise it'd be a bit like the blind leading the blind! Thanks for all you do here x
Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vall View Post
how much did you drink etc and what made you want to stop?
I have a post in the Stories of Recovery section which I wrote 3 years ago, I should probably update it... That would mean I have to read it and I hate reading old posts... ... Anyway, I was addicted to stimulants and sleeping pills for years. I was a heavy daily drinker, occasional blackouts, I thought I was high functioning... well, that is always a lie... I stopped the pills on my own, but not soon enough to escape notice by people with scary ID cards and badges... My first "Higher Power"... LOL... I went to treatment to save my career... not because I wanted to... My desire at first was to save my @ss, I didn't want recovery as I understood recovery at the time.

Desire grew over time and now I am, mostly, Happy, Joyous and Free, especially that last thing...

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
It must be awesome to hunt with alcoholics that don't drink!!!
It is actually, very awesome... for so many reasons....

Oh yea, we also go skiing... sometimes we get as many as 6 guys from my home group for an awesome night of skiing... We say the serenity prayer on the lifts... no, just kidding... LOL... though a lot of E,S & H gets shared there...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrat's on the 4 years Mark! Here's a few cyber cakes and wows for ya... 777:
Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A marvelous post. Thanks and many congratulations on four years.

You are among the beacons here on SR. When I see one of your posts I know you are going to provide support, guidance, or wisdom, either regarding your journey, or the one we are undertaking.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Congrats Mark and thank you for your contribution here at SR. You make a difference here.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

WAY AWESOME, MARK!!
CONGRATULATIONS ON 4 YRS!!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Mark , that is really inspiring!

Not a hunter nor do I own a gun but kind of get the idea of mixing the two is a bit dangerous ...like driving a car drunk. Not sure if I did own one I would be here to type this but seems I was not so keen on knives used certain ways either , by the Grace of God.

Skiing is a true passion for me too and hmmm missed more than a ski day or two due to going way over the line with drinking.

I am back to AA , have a temporary sponsor though he might end up being my sponsor , and will take the time to do the work properly this time. Won't be fun but I like the idea of the freedom as the misery and slavery to King Alcohol is just to high a price to pay anymore.

I want what the old timers have and now I am willing to go to any lengths to get it. One day at a time but hope one day to be able to make a post like this!

You made my day!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Brilliant news Mark, well done
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mark! This is awesome news.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thankyou for sharing that. Many congratulations, you are an inspiration x
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
You made my day!
And you mine!!

We do this together... Hey, I'm jealous, there is some great skiing out your way.. Now when a big dump hits, you can get out there for some first tracks!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love it, Mark! Your post is so encouraging and filled with hope - thank you for letting our Newbies see how this CAN be done. We aren't losing a thing by quitting, the way we once thought we were. We're regaining our dignity, serenity, and as you said - freedom.

Congratulations on four years of growth and healing.