Notices

Ex-BF at AA Mtg!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

We strive for progress rather than perfection.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

: )
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Lost--

I did not think you gave out his last name. My understanding was that if one attended the same meeting as someone they knew from outside the rooms, that would constitute a breach.

I never thought you did anything wrong--but I was taught early on that people should not be attending the same meetings if they knew each other from the "real world." I used the last name issue as an example---since sponsors are not supposed to reveal their last names to sponsees, then a prior relationship would mean you two should not be in the same group.

Others here have said that this is not the case.

So much of what is said on SR goes against what I was told---but I have to say what I hear on this site makes a LOT more sense than what I was told when I was in the rooms.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Thanks. Back when I was in the program I was told that we were supposed to be anonymous all around and never give our last names to people in meetings etc. I was told that if we were not anonymous, we would not be able to speak freely.

It seemed like something that was violated all the time, so it never made sense but I never got a straight answer on this.

ok, i think its time to study the traditions. 11 and 12, where anonymity is mentioned, are dealing with outside of AA. there is very good info on this in the 12&12.
in AA, i give my last name with my phone number. i also ask for last names of people i get phone numbers from, but very rarely have to ask for the last name as they are given freely. if i hear someone is in the hospital and i go visit, i dont think they could locate john d.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Miamifella))))

I have to ask if your experience in some of the meetings in Miami?? I ask
because last year I was in Miami a few times for several days each time,
and when I am in a city where I have not attended meetings before I like
to go to some just to see how they may differ from what I am used to.

Well I got some real good 'gasps' when asked for any visitors, and I would
say my name, my WHOLE NAME, then that I am an alcoholic and that I
was visiting from and give my city and state.

So after I heard the 'gasps', I do catch on quickly, and being the 'stubborn'
alkie that I am to this day, roflmao I made sure that at every meeting I
attended and introduced myself as a visitor I would use my WHOLE NAME
and give the city and state where I was from. I hope I didn't give any of
them a heart attack!

yes, individual meetings are different and they can give out erroneous
information, however there is a web site and an 800 phone number to call
and confirm something you have been told.

Like has been said over and over on this web site, we have to put our
hand out for 'help', but sometimes it is better to 'wait a bit' and look for
the 'winners' at a meeting, those are the folks that 'walk' (live their life
using the 12 Steps) like they 'talk.' Those are the ones to get close to,
that will help one immensely.

As to anonymity that is at the LEVEL of PRESS, RADIO, TV, and FILMS,
NOT in a meeting. As to seeing an X or a friend or acquaintance in a
meeting, I smile at them if they are looking my way, and go sit where
I normally sit. Yes sometimes I am more generic when I share if one
of the above is in one of my meetings, but I feel that is okay until I see
if they are going to stick around or are just ordered by the court. If
they come up to me, I greet them with a smile and ask how they are
doing, and keep the conversation generic.

Again, Miamifella I am sorry you had such a rotten introduction to AA!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you Laurie--

It was in 2000 when I was introduced to AA and 12-step fellowships. With limited internet access and without all the pamphlets that are out there now, it was hard to get reliable information about the program. I had no reason to question a sponsor who said he could not give his last name--and even if I did, I would have nothing to back up the challenge to his assertion.

I left after 7 years. One of the really great things here is to finally get answers on practices and ideas that I did not understand when I was in the program, and to help people who have a lot of the same issues in the program that I had. I thought I was crazy or stupid--and I hate to see others feel the same way about themselves.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Lost,

I think it's totally normal for you to be a bit weirded out by your Ex's presence but remember ... it is not your job to help him. He is being exposed to the program, which is why he is court ordered. Either he will be attracted to it or he will not (remember the 11th tradition). I would suggest keeping a respectful distance, act as you normally would, and let it go.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella
Thanks. Back when I was in the program I was told that we were supposed to be anonymous all around and never give our last names to people in meetings etc. I was told that if we were not anonymous, we would not be able to speak freely.

It seemed like something that was violated all the time, so it never made sense but I never got a straight answer on this.
The traditions say we should keep anonymity at the level of "press, radio and films". Normal decency says we gossip about we saw or hear at an AA meeting - or anywhere else.

I have also let some trusted friends know that I am in AA, but that is my anonymity to break - I would never break yours. I did my first 12th step call from a friend who knew I was in AA and wanted to know if I could help his co-worker.

If we take anonymity to the level where we cannot be helpful to the still suffering alcoholic or each other, that is also in violation of several traditions and step 12.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

You can also get more information from the pamphlet Understanding Anonimity Found at AA.org.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
Lost--

I did not think you gave out his last name. My understanding was that if one attended the same meeting as someone they knew from outside the rooms, that would constitute a breach.

I never thought you did anything wrong--but I was taught early on that people should not be attending the same meetings if they knew each other from the "real world." I used the last name issue as an example---since sponsors are not supposed to reveal their last names to sponsees, then a prior relationship would mean you two should not be in the same group.

Others here have said that this is not the case.

So much of what is said on SR goes against what I was told---but I have to say what I hear on this site makes a LOT more sense than what I was told when I was in the rooms.
Hey, thanks for clarifying! I thought maybe I missed something and misunderstood. I see now where you are coming from. In my homegroup, there is an area I've dubbed "lawyers row". I'm talking an entire section of the room consists of lawyers. They all know each other from practicing law. Now, of course their AA status is anonymous - but when they see each other on the street or elsewhere they say hi. I've been welcomed into their fold although I'm not a lawyer. I see them in the day to day business workings, and say hi, but it's not like I say, hi! see you at that AA mtg later??

Does that make sense?

Also, we all know each other's last names, my sponsor included, because we email a ton. I'm FB friends with just a select few. I'd also like to mention that these folks are all old-timers.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Lost,

I think it's totally normal for you to be a bit weirded out by your Ex's presence but remember ... it is not your job to help him. He is being exposed to the program, which is why he is court ordered. Either he will be attracted to it or he will not (remember the 11th tradition). I would suggest keeping a respectful distance, act as you normally would, and let it go.
Well, I sort of took this advice. Although I read your post after I went to today's mtg and talked to him. I have kept a very respectful distance from him, and when sharing, kept it generic. Today, I tried to look more open. I looked his way and smiled. I got a blank stare. So I left it alone...until my sponsor and I were leaving the mtg. He was standing there and so I said, hi. He looked confused, acted like he didn't know me, and asked where he knew me from. I gave him my maiden name, and then he acted like he remembered.

Of course, I don't buy his act, because we dated for almost a year, and lived together in the same apt. I just can't see how you could forget that. It was 16 years ago, but still.

Anyway, we chatted a bit. He asked for my number which I gave. And then he asked if I was drinking/drugging. I thought that was a really weird question. I told him no, that I quit Jan. 1. He looked amazed and that kind of made me feel good.

Anyhow, I probably should have done this in the beginning. Because now I feel we are both more comfortable being in there. I guess this is just more of life coming my way! I'm glad to be able to do this sober, with a clear mind. I feel that I'm actually maturing!!!! LOL!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
...And then he asked if I was drinking/drugging.
This was/is disturbing to me. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Just a note from someone who has had to get those papers signed by the chair person.. don't knock it just because it is court ordered. He is there... and after awhile of being in the rooms it affects you enough... and worms it's way into your heart. Sooner or later you either want it or you don't. He might actually WANT recovery... even though he is being court ordered.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi Saliena and thanks. I didn't mean to come across as "knocking" him b/c he's court ordered. I'm sorry I gave off that impression. I do feel it's different than someone like me who wanted to go to AA out of desperation. That's all I was trying to say.

And I know what you mean about AA worming its way in. Once you've been to AA, drinking is never the same!

So I got my wish, which was for him to not be there. But now I'm bummed about it. What the heck!?!?! I can't figure this one out. My first thought was that I shouldn't have said hi to him, because now he's scared and doesn't want to be there with me in there. But of course it's all about me! JOKING. Maybe he had something else going on.

Sobriety is weird in how it affects your thoughts, you know?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
This was/is disturbing to me. Anyone else have this experience?
Oh sure. At recovery meetings and outside them. There definitely can be a sense of doubt, of non-belief, from folks who can't imagine that others are really abstaining from drugs and alcohol. I don't know about you, but there was a time when I couldn't imagine such a thing myself!

He might also have been feeling you out to see if you wanted to drink/drug with him.

Or it might be something else entirely. Impossible to know.

The important thing, though, is that you know what you want for yourself, and you didn't let yourself get too distracted by this situation.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
~sb

Sounds like he's messed his head up a lot. You said hello.

Remember the 12 Traditions. Stick with the sober people and work your steps with your sponsor.

He needs to stick with the men. Maybe a seed will be planted and one day he'll "get it."

With love & hugs,
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks OTT and sugar. I am just having the hardest time at work. I can hardly believe how awful it's gotten for me, and what a major struggle it is. I've pulled out my arsenal of tools, AA, sponsor, steps, relaxation --- and still it's hard. Very hard.

So when he walked in the room, it was almost an added stress. No, it actually was a stress. He wasn't there yesterday, we'll see if he's there today.

And yeah, I felt like maybe he was feeling me out for drinking. It's absolutely not what I'm looking for, and it didn't mess with my drinking head not one tiny iota.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Stay in your hula hoop Lost3000....I'm sure you've heard that before...Keep moving forward!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Sapling - nope, haven't heard that one before! I was so stressed out last night, didn't know what to do. So I took my yoga mat out and did some yoga poses. That helped. Whatever it takes, you know?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ask your sponsor if she's ever heard that...I heard that expression in rehab...And heard it again in AA. It has to do with all that matters with you is inside an invisable hula hoop that surrounds you...Just take care of that.