Notices

Struggling

Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Hello,

I have been sober for 105 days now and I was wondering if it is normal to feel suicidal sometimes or feel like you have no motivation ? Since I am sober, I do sports and I returned to school but I still feel like when I was using. And it makes me struggle more and more. Is this normal ??
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What are you doing for recovery?...I know for myself I needed more than just putting down the drink.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I struggle with suicidal thoughts, mainly from my circumstances, I struggle anyway with depression/anxiety-that I have to be treated for...

song that just blessed my socks off...

Theresa Anderson-It's Gonna Be Okay - YouTube
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I attended NA meetings but with school I stopped going.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You for the song candi7 Have you always been struggling with depression ?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobernowornever View Post
I attended NA meetings but with school I stopped going.
I use AA...Great support...I worked the steps with a sponsor...Was NA helping you at all?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

if you're feeling suicide get help now. do you have a therapist or doctor you can talk to? there's a suicide prevention hotline you can call. it's not normal to feel suicidal.

a lack of motivation is normal even for people who don't drink. perhaps you need to start looking at new things to occupy your time. i've found that i'm a somewhat different person sober than i was when i was actively drinking. pick up a book or two on a hobby that grabs your interest. don't be afraid to try new things. you don't have to be stuck doing the same old thing. you're beginning a new chapter of your life.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor about the depression....I can only say for myself...I needed those steps for the depression and anxiety I was suffering from...I was bad...I take zero medication and I'm coming up on 15 months sober. And I'm happy...And I have a lot of sober friends.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DAB

Not when you are sober but when you abstain from drinking.
I felt that way when I quit drinking in the past.
I have since then learned how to live sober, and I no longer feel like that
The difference is that you have simply removed your mistress alcohol from your life, you still miss her and life seems pointless without her.
When you learn to live sober, you make sobriety your mistress. You realize that each day sober is a blessing. Your old mistress would tie you up and beat you, your new mistress has set you free from your bondage and your possibilities are now boundless.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank You for the song candi7 Have you always been struggling with depression ?

My drinking was always to cover my emotions, so in recovery (116 days) I have to face them. I struggle more with anxiety than depression-but yes.. years...
I had to get help after 45 days sober (mental health doctor/counseling too) and now that is helping me sooo much- when I got sober, reality hit: I couldn't go numb anymore, so I couldn't escape myself-then the suicidal thoughts came.. I recognize that if I'm tired, hungry, lonely or angry-I need to take care of those basic needs first.. and if able I go to AA meetings to help along with the meds they put me on. AA will help with the alcoholism and I leave my mental health to the doctors... I hope you feel better and PLEASE< PLEASE Know you are not alone-and it these thoughts will pass-get help if you need it (please my friend)...xoxox
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you're suicidal please call a hotline and get help NOW.

You deserve to live and share your story. Suicide is always a mistake, there's a life for you, sober and happy! We will help you find it. Please get help now. You are worth it.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello,

I have been sober for 105 days now and I was wondering if it is normal to feel suicidal sometimes or feel like you have no motivation ? Since I am sober, I do sports and I returned to school but I still feel like when I was using. And it makes me struggle more and more. Is this normal ??

Please take this seriously Sobernowornever and see your doctor... I had suicidal thoughts (not uncommon for me anyway) and really low motivation levels. Turns out I have an underactive thyroid which fortunately isn't a big deal but certainly could have caused the depression and fatigue. Maybe it's something simple. But suicidal thoughts should always be taken seriously... Start keeping a journal to keep track of your mood and tell your doctor about it.

Well done on 105 days! x
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
If you're suicidal please call a hotline and get help NOW.

You deserve to live and share your story. Suicide is always a mistake, there's a life for you, sober and happy! We will help you find it. Please get help now. You are worth it.
Thanks.. My sponsor tells me, if you leave early, you'll never see what the end result will be.. It is getting better-just my recent relationship stuff hasn't helped a bit-but.. I can't give up on myself...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NA Helped a little but I quit because I did not have time with school and work.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will call my dr in the morning. I thought it was normal to feel like that but I will see what my dr says. Thank You everyone
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

NA Helped a little but I quit because I did not have time with school and work.
I know it's tough...But my sobriety had to be top of the list for me...Without it there was no work or school...I think seeing your doctor is a great move...Glad you found the site.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi sobernowornever

it's never normal to feel suicidal - I'm glad you're seeing your Dr...here are some other reading and links to other forums and hotlines that could help too - please read them

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

D
Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will read the other forums. Thank You
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm really glad you're getting in touch with your doctor sobernowornever. remember, you deserve happiness.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank You