Notices

73 days and counting

Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

73 days and counting

I am a newcomer to recovery with 73 days clean and sober. The first 60 days were spent in rehab being treated for alcoholism and sex and love addiction. I've been on my own for these last 13 days. Since most people don't have the luxury of detoxing in a treatment facility, I want to know how you did it in the "real world." All comments and encouragement are welcome!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! You have done great. Do you have a Boston Terrier? I see your icon. I am a dog lover. Anyway, great job. This is a wonderful place for support. I am also in Alabama and am trying to stay sober on my own. Not easy!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have a 10-year old BT named Daisy and a 1-year old Yorkie named Lucy. They are a mess but lots of fun. Obviously, I am a dog lover, too. Thanks for the kudos. I've been here on and off for a few years but this is my time to finally get sober for good. Best wishes to you for the sobriety you long for. I know it is not easy in a world where alcohol consumption surrounds us all the time!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The dogs do help! Glad you were able to find care for yours while you were away, that's one issue I would have had. Hub is not a dog guy. And my super senior would not have lasted without me more than a day, he's very attached and pretty fragile. He's in his middle teens. I am in the greater Mobile area. Maybe we are neighbors!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Ruby Slippers,

Glad you were able to go to inpatient rehab and glad you are here!

I would have liked to gone into inpatient... my son and his wife wanted me to also, but, for several reasons I couldn't.

I am, however, going to IOP, just started on Friday evening last week. I know without a doubt I need that extra help to keep me sober. I am 11 days sober today.

For me, right now...I am keeping myself busy with everything and anything I can find. AA Meetings, Rehab, literature (in fact I just put in the mail a subscription to the "Grapevine", I love to read), then there is SR (my newest family ) So far it's helping alot. Yesterday was a reminder to me though, that I have to find time to relax, breathe, take it all in and meditate on it. Mental exhaustion set in... triggering a craving, thankfully I was able to resist.

I realize, that at some point it's all going to slow down, especially once Rehab is over. I told my wonderfully patient husband, that for now...I must continue to be obsessed with my recovery, he smiled and gave me the thumbs up, and said do what ever it takes to keep you on track!" So here I am.

Keep coming Back! I look forward to your posts and congrats on 73 days!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on 73 days Ruby

I would have loved to have been able to go to inpatient treatment too but I was a secret alcoholic and I had to carry on going to work like everything was normal... I would have been lost without SR and lots of chocolate! And I see an addictions counsellor as well as going to AA and reading lots of other recovery stuff. As far as making it in the real world, I had to detach myself a bit from that because my real world had too many drinkers in it...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient rehab...They introduced me to AA and I got right into it...Coming up on 15 months...What did they tell you to do in rehab when you left?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ruby - and congratulations
All I've ever used is SR - it seemed to work for me

Are you interested in other recovery groups, like AA, SMART, Rational Recovery etc?

D