Notices

Almost there...

Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost there...

Hi all,

I'm obviously new here. I've been battling binge drinking and alcoholism since college (I'm 26 now). Over the past year or so, I've successfully gone from drinking nearly every day to drinking about once a month. Long story short... There was tons of partying at college and my parents drink a lot, so there was always alcohol around, whether I was home or away. Last month I was able to move out, because I bought a house. I thought being away from that "culture" would help immensely. Fortunately, I'm not the type of person to go to bars or to need that drink with dinner. Unfortunately, I broke down and went to the liquor store last weekend. I poured most of it out because I was so disgusted with myself, but I still drank enough (I was alone, just playing videogames) where my girlfriend could smell a hint of it the following morning. I tried to cover it up, and of course that went poorly. She insists that I give AA another try. I wasn't thrilled with it a year ago-- I went twice. Rational Recovery looked promising but wow, do they want your money. At least forums are free!!!!!!

So my big question, I suppose, is this: I feel like I'm 95% there to being sober, so what have people done or thought about to nail down that last 5%? Does it just come down to willpower? I don't have daily cravings so it doesn't feel like a daily battle. It's as if the little devil on my shoulder pops up every month or six weeks or something.... so what have people done to squash that little *******?!

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to want it more than I wanted anything else....And I had to give AA more than two meetings to see if it worked....But that's just me.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Centruion

SR helped me a lot - it's good to have that support and feedback - helped me feel a little accountable too in the early days.

If you have the willingness to change, and the wherewithal to handle a little discomfort sometimes, I reckon you'll be ahead of the game

Good to have you join us

D
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Centurion

For me, I managed about 5% of it on my own and the other 95% I owe to SR and various other recovery methods. AVRT was really helpful to me but I only shelled out for the book... maybe it's worth checking out SMART, or giving AA another go. Basically my motto is if it isn't working try something else or add to whatever you're already doing. I think working on something before the little devil pops up really helps x
Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum Centurion!

I think we're all tempted from time to time. I just remind myself where my last relapse got me. I wanted to return to drinking socially, and I did for a while, but eventually found myself back in the same vicious cycle. For me, it's all or nothing.

Like Dee said, support and/or a recovery program keep us from forgetting where we've been. Glad you're here!